So I Bought an OBD Code Reader... MAF Advice, Please

Old August 10th 05, 07:36 PM
Brian Running

Default So I Bought an OBD Code Reader... MAF Advice, Please

Thanks to all for the advice regarding OBD code readers. Went into the
local Auto Zone at lunch today and planned just to see what they had,
and it turns out their cheapest one is on sale for $79. Got one, hooked
it up, read the codes, and they came back, "Your MAF is on the fritz,"
"your fuel mixture is too lean," and "your coolant temperature circuit
is sending a high voltage."

I can recall seeing some discussion of MAFs here, particularly how
sensitive they are.

Can they be cleaned/rehabbed somehow, or once they go, are they junk?
Are they ungodly expensive? Are they difficult to replace? Do y'all
have any general comments or advice for me on the topic of MAFs?

Thanks.
Old August 10th 05, 09:17 PM
Dino

What year/mileage on your vehicle? I received a letter from VW that they're
extending the warrentys on at least the 99-01's to 7 yr/70K miles for the
MAF. I paid $175 for mine online and was later reimbursed by VW. Piece of
cake to replace at least on the VR6. I tried cleaning it first with
electrical cleaner with no luck.

.. .

Old August 10th 05, 09:42 PM
Brian Running

> What year/mileage on your vehicle? I received a letter from VW that they're
> extending the warrentys on at least the 99-01's to 7 yr/70K miles for the
> MAF. I paid $175 for mine online and was later reimbursed by VW. Piece of
> cake to replace at least on the VR6. I tried cleaning it first with
> electrical cleaner with no luck.

'Spose I should have mentioned that it's an '01 Jetta with the 2.0
engine and about 49,000 miles on 'er. I've heard elsewhere that this
might be covered under warranty -- worse comes to worst, it's a $48
part, so it's not the end of the world, I guess.

Air Bag Light - '93 Joe Ford Mustang 16 June 14th 05 08:00 PM
Would like to have a diagnostic code reader for 1998 JeepGC. Any suggestions??? TIA! chw Jeep 0 January 10th 05 04:33 AM
96 coupe 3.8 with code "P1151" Chuck Ford Mustang 2 January 1st 05 06:07 PM
Good OBD I code reader (scanner) mdos Honda 4 October 1st 04 01:09 AM
How & Where can I get a code reader? ronnie802 Saturn 1 July 22nd 04 10:25 AM