my 156 2.5 cannot go beyond 5000 rpm

Old June 10th 04, 07:14 AM
Claude

Default my 156 2.5 cannot go beyond 5000 rpm

Hi,

In the past few months, I read from this ng a thread about this
question I have, but I unfortunately lost the answer. Here it is:

My 2000 156 2.5 engine cannot go beyond 5000 rpm (or so), no matter
how hard I press the gas pedal, or no matter the gear I am in.
Although I need this extra boost very seldom, I think this is very
ennoying in some cases where I need a bit of extra kick.

I assume this is a problem in my own car since I tried the new 156 at
the retailer and it happily gave me the boost I needed.

Do you have any idea where this relates to and what should I ask my
dear dealer to do on my car, before he decides to charge me for his
own investigation time?
--
Claude
Old June 10th 04, 08:33 PM
Alfistagj

Could be a lot of things.
- How old?
- How many km's/miles?
- Is the car maintained well (every 20000km's)?
- When was your airfilter changed last?
- How does the engine start?
- Have you ever checked the compression?
- Is the engine running on the emergency CPU setting?
- etc etc etc.

It certainly is not normal!

--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"Claude" > schreef in bericht

Old June 10th 04, 10:04 PM
Ppelectron

> Hi,
>
>In the past few months, I read from this ng a thread about this
>question I have, but I unfortunately lost the answer. Here it is:
>
>My 2000 156 2.5 engine cannot go beyond 5000 rpm (or so), no matter
>how hard I press the gas pedal, or no matter the gear I am in.
>Although I need this extra boost very seldom, I think this is very
>ennoying in some cases where I need a bit of extra kick.
>
>I assume this is a problem in my own car since I tried the new 156 at
>the retailer and it happily gave me the boost I needed.
>
>Do you have any idea where this relates to and what should I ask my
>dear dealer to do on my car, before he decides to charge me for his
>own investigation time?
>--
> Claude

How does the engine feel when you try to exceed 5000RPM? If it feels like the
rev limiter is cutting in you may well have a faulty air flow meter (MAF). It's
quite a common fault and I had it on my 156 V6. I found that the engine would
lose almost all power at 5000 rpm in any gear and the car would absolutely
refuse to go over 5000 rpm.

I took it to the Alfa dealer and I told him that according to this newsgroup it
was most likely the MAF. He looked amused and told me that a cat fault was more
common, especially if the engine hesitated while braking (which mine didn't).
Anyway, after £80 of electronic diagnostics he determined that it was a faulty
MAF at £150 IIRC. Rumour has it that the cheaper MAF from the 1.8 156 works in
the V6 if you fit it to the plastic housing in the V6 engine. I can't comment
on this, but I will say the Alfa dealer hotly denied it. Hope this info helps
you :-)

Phil 156 V6 1998

Old June 13th 04, 10:36 PM
steve

(Ppelectron) wrote in message >...
> > Hi,
> >
> >In the past few months, I read from this ng a thread about this
> >question I have, but I unfortunately lost the answer. Here it is:
> >
> >My 2000 156 2.5 engine cannot go beyond 5000 rpm (or so), no matter
> >how hard I press the gas pedal, or no matter the gear I am in.
> >Although I need this extra boost very seldom, I think this is very
> >ennoying in some cases where I need a bit of extra kick.
> >
> >I assume this is a problem in my own car since I tried the new 156 at
> >the retailer and it happily gave me the boost I needed.
> >
> >Do you have any idea where this relates to and what should I ask my
> >dear dealer to do on my car, before he decides to charge me for his
> >own investigation time?
> >--
> > Claude
> >

> How does the engine feel when you try to exceed 5000RPM? If it feels like the
> rev limiter is cutting in you may well have a faulty air flow meter (MAF). It's
> quite a common fault and I had it on my 156 V6. I found that the engine would
> lose almost all power at 5000 rpm in any gear and the car would absolutely
> refuse to go over 5000 rpm.
>
> I took it to the Alfa dealer and I told him that according to this newsgroup it
> was most likely the MAF. He looked amused and told me that a cat fault was more
> common, especially if the engine hesitated while braking (which mine didn't).
> Anyway, after £80 of electronic diagnostics he determined that it was a faulty
> MAF at £150 IIRC. Rumour has it that the cheaper MAF from the 1.8 156 works in
> the V6 if you fit it to the plastic housing in the V6 engine. I can't comment
> on this, but I will say the Alfa dealer hotly denied it. Hope this info helps
> you :-)
>
> Phil 156 V6 1998

I had the same problem on my GTV 2.0l and it was the air flow meter at
fault. However, it didn't need replacing. It just needed resetting. If
you can rind a garage that isn't interested in ripping you off that
is.
I don't where you are located, but Duncan from Alfanet, Bristol sorted
my car.

Steve 2.0l GTV 2000