flywheel ring gear

Old January 11th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
joe

Default flywheel ring gear

Is the inside diameter of a 1200cc 6 volt ring gear the same as the
1600cc dual port 12 volt ring gear?

Old January 11th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

Hi Joe,

I presume this question comes from 6 to 12v conversion? If so I believe
this page should shed some light.

Anton

Old January 11th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
joe

Hi anton,
What page are you talking about?

Joe

Old January 11th 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
joe

Old January 11th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
joe

I have a 1600cc dual port engine with a 1200cc flywheel in it right now
with a 6 volt starter. I want to put the correct flywheel but it is
almost impossible to put the 12 volt starter in since it is in a Aktiv
Snotrac ST4. The 12 volt starter solenoid would hit the steering
mechanism. I am hoping that I can take the 1200cc ring gear and
install it in the 1600cc flywheel. I know how the heat the ring gear
and put it on the flywheel.

Joe

Old January 11th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

joe wrote:
> Hi anton,
> What page are you talking about?
>
> Joe

I don't know what page he's talking about but air cooled VW's don't have
a ring gear. The gear teeth are machined into the flywheel. Six volt
transaxles don't have enough clearance for a 12v flywheel and you will
have to carefully grind out the case. Be careful because the case is
magnesium and can catch fire if you don't go at it slow.

Airrcooled.net sells the parts you will need for the conversion and may
have some tech articles that will help.

Tony
Old January 11th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

joe wrote:
> I have a 1600cc dual port engine with a 1200cc flywheel in it right now
> with a 6 volt starter. I want to put the correct flywheel but it is
> almost impossible to put the 12 volt starter in since it is in a Aktiv
> Snotrac ST4. The 12 volt starter solenoid would hit the steering
> mechanism. I am hoping that I can take the 1200cc ring gear and
> install it in the 1600cc flywheel. I know how the heat the ring gear
> and put it on the flywheel.
>
> Joe

There is a 12v starter kit (or at least there used to be one) available
that fits the 6 volt case and flywheel... My 1966 Baja had one when I
got it many years ago. The starter is still in my garage somewhere but
I don't know if I could pick it out of the line up of other spare
starters I have laying around. As I recall it is a 12 volt starter with
a smaller gear and it also required a special bushing.

Tony

Old January 11th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
joe

Both the 1600cc and the 1200cc that I have, have a ring gear pressed
onto the flywheel.

Old January 11th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
joe

I will check into the starter kit.

Joe

Old January 11th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

joe wrote:
> Both the 1600cc and the 1200cc that I have, have a ring gear pressed
> onto the flywheel.

If so, it's still not replaceable. If you install the 1600 engine you
will have to either have to open up the case for the larger flywheel or
have the 6v flywheel machined to bolt up to the 1600 engine. I've seen
it done both ways.

Tony