New Jersey Legislator Wants to Ban Smoking in Your Car

Old July 12th 05, 06:40 AM
Pooh Bear

Jim Yanik wrote:

> ©hri§tÇræm® <> wrote in
> :
>
> > I smoke. I smoke in my car.

> It's not our fault smokers have abused the privelege.
> People are tired of putting up with smokers and their foul habit.
>
> And yet smokers still are not getting the message.

They get cancer instead !

Graham

Old July 12th 05, 06:41 AM
Pooh Bear

Jim Yanik wrote:

> Littering is not any sort of right.

But you *will* find ppl who claim it should be so.

They're called fatheads I believe.

Graham

Old July 12th 05, 06:52 AM
william lynch

Sarah Monroe wrote:

> "Scott en Aztlán" wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:33:32 -0700, ©hri§tÇræm® <> wrote:
>>

>>>I smoke. I smoke in my car. All you control freaks can go **** yourselves.

>>You throw your butts onto the ground, don't you? This is precisely the
>>sort of attitude one might expect from a litterbug...

> Cigarettes are biodegradable so what's the big deal about throwing them out of a
> car or throwing them on the ground? Much better than those non-biodegradable
> plastic forks,spoons, cups etc that people throw out of their car anyplace and
> anytime they feel like it.
>
> BTW, no, I don't smoke. Used to, but quit several years ago.
>
> Sarah

Cigarette filters take about 10-20,000 years to degrade, so
that is stretching the definition of 'biodegradable' a bit.
Old July 12th 05, 06:56 AM
David W. Poole, Jr.

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:05:23 -0400, "Daniel J. Stern"
> was understood to have stated the following:

>Isn't it amazing how all the smokers who comment on this topic when it
>comes up are *unfailingly* polite and courteous? They never *ever* flick
>cigarette butts away, never *ever* smoke around people trying to eat or

Throwing butts on the ground is littering. I don't dispose of anything
else improperly; why would I want to make an exception for cigarette
butts?

As for eating, while I may enjoy smoking, most of the time I don't
enjoy it while I'm eating (unless it's waffle house, of course). I
usually sit in the non-smoking section of a restaurant, even if I'm
dining alone. If I don't enjoy it, why would I expect anyone else to?

>breathe, and never *ever* do any of the myriad other obnoxious things done
>twenty to sixty times a day by the smokers none of them seems to know...or

Regardless of whether they smoke or not, people can and will find ways
to be assholes.

>be. Fascinating, really, but it's obviously just another pathetic
>delusion, right up there with all the "benefits" they get from smoking.

I think it's a major benefit that I don't kill one of the above
mentioned assholes. :-D

Old July 12th 05, 07:02 AM
David W. Poole, Jr.

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:11:04 -0400, "JohnH" > was
understood to have stated the following:

>> Isn't it amazing how all the smokers who comment on this topic when it
>> comes up are *unfailingly* polite and courteous?

>I used to throw butts out right and left when I smoked. Thought nothing of
>it. I'm disgusted by it now.

When I was a kid, I lived on a busy road, and one of my chores was
cleaning up the yard, cigarette butts and all. BTW, SC is one usually
one of the worst states on the road side litter list. Shortly after I
started smoking, I saw someone field strip a cigarette, and I've been
doing that ever since. That way, I know if I'm not near an ash tray, I
can throw the butt into a normal trash bin and know I'm not going to
start a fire.

Old July 12th 05, 07:06 AM
David W. Poole, Jr.

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 04:37:46 GMT, Beelzebub > was
understood to have stated the following:

>You can always buy an optional ashtray for about ninety bucks that amounts
>to something ill-fitting to the console cupholder, you evil-doer. ;-)

You can buy one that fits in about any cup holder, or hangs well off
some surfaces, for about $2.50 around here.

Old July 12th 05, 08:10 AM
Pooh Bear

223rem wrote:

> Beelzebub wrote:
>
> > Smoking is not illegal. What is it with people in our society who are so
> > concerned with what others are doing instead of taking care of their own
> > pointless lives?

> Exactly. Or some redneck slut going on and on about the great dangers of
> gay marriage or cloning, etc.

Well.... gay marriage isn't going to result in any offspring so there's
certainly no danger there ! ;-)

As for cloning - it's clear that the DNA may be damaged in the cloning
process. I can see serious dangers in that.

Dolly the sheep had to be 'terminated' before her natural death on account of
health issues.

http://www.cnn.com/NATURE/9905/26/dolly.clone.02/

Graahm

Old July 12th 05, 03:01 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Sarah Monroe .> wrote:

>Cigarettes are biodegradable so what's the big deal about throwing them out of a
>car or throwing them on the ground?

Because they're a nasty foul-smelling eyesore in the meantime.

>Much better than those non-biodegradable
>plastic forks,spoons, cups etc that people throw out of their car anyplace and
>anytime they feel like it.

You aren't supposed to be throwing them out of the car either.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old July 12th 05, 03:42 PM
Jim Yanik

"JohnH" > wrote in
:

>> Cigarettes are biodegradable so what's the big deal about throwing
>> them out of a car or throwing them on the ground?

> It's certainly no worse than taking a **** on the side of the road.
> Right, Sarah?

If it's OK to do it at the side of the road,then it would be OK for someone
to empty their ashtray in your driveway,or elsewhere on your property.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 12th 05, 03:43 PM
Jim Yanik

Beelzebub > wrote in
news:1121143329.467e96a68d14c4861d9d961064678631@t eranews:

> "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in
> .umich.edu:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, Dave wrote:
>>
>>> A 20 oz water bottle, with some water, is a better place for a burning
>>> cigarette than a plastic bag. Same idea though, just less chance of
>>> burning up my car.

>> Quit smoking; problem solved.
>>

> Smoking is not illegal. What is it with people in our society who are so
> concerned with what others are doing instead of taking care of their own
> pointless lives?

Because it affects them also,adversely.

--
Jim Yanik