New Jersey Legislator Wants to Ban Smoking in Your Car

Old July 13th 05, 04:04 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, The Real Bev wrote:

> > Nope, you're deceived into *thinking* you "enjoy" smoking. What you
> > misperceive as "enjoyment" is nothing more or less than the relief of
> > withdrawal symptoms. The cigarette is the marketeer's
> > carefully-created dream product: it does nothing but cause you to want
> > another one.

> So you've never smoked, then?

My smoking history isn't in question here.
Old July 13th 05, 04:11 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, The Real Bev wrote:

> people get awfully uptight about smoking and smokers all out of
> proportion to the "damage" they cause.

Spoken like a truly self-deluded nicotine addict.
Old July 13th 05, 06:37 AM
David W. Poole, Jr.

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:45:46 -0400, "Daniel J. Stern"
> was understood to have stated the following:

>On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:
>
>> Throwing butts on the ground is littering. I don't dispose of anything
>> else improperly; why would I want to make an exception for cigarette
>> butts?

>If you *truly* practice what you preach, you are rare indeed. Even Tokyo,

I do as I say. I saw in another post in this thread where someone said
they were litter free after 40 years. I, for the most part, can say
the same. The only times I've really littered was when I first started
driving, and I would eat from a fast food joint; even then, that
wasn't much. The other times I've littered was when I used to drink
while driving, which was very rare, and I was concerned about the
car's contents drawing unwanted attention should I be pulled over.

>which to the eyes of a visiting American is astonishingly free of
>cigarette litter -- especially given that about 140% of Japanese smoke

140% of Japanese smoke? Decent.

>cigarettes -- has enough of a problem with it that they've launched this
>PSA campaign:
>
>http://www.conbinibento.com/photos/i...king%20Manners

Gotta love those japanese translations.

Old July 13th 05, 02:10 PM
JohnH

>>> I may enjoy smoking

>> Nope, you're deceived into *thinking* you "enjoy" smoking. What you
>> misperceive as "enjoyment" is nothing more or less than the relief of
>> withdrawal symptoms. The cigarette is the marketeer's
>> carefully-created dream product: it does nothing but cause you to
>> want another one.

> So you've never smoked, then?

I did for 15 years - and he's right on the money. My life was consumed with
where and when I could next appease my addiction. There is nothing good
about smoking, despite silly statements like it prevents someone from
killing someone else.

Old July 13th 05, 05:59 PM
David W. Poole, Jr.

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:10:19 -0400, "JohnH" > was
understood to have stated the following:

>There is nothing good
>about smoking, despite silly statements like it prevents someone from
>killing someone else.

Don't push it, buddy. :-D

Old July 13th 05, 07:53 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

Old July 13th 05, 07:56 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"DTJ" > wrote in message
> On 12 Jul 2005 00:31:54 GMT, Jim Yanik .> wrote:
>
>>> Cigarettes are biodegradable so what's the big deal about throwing

> No they are not.

Yes, they are.

>>They are NOT that "biodegradable".They last for several months.
>>They also get into water drainage and cause problems for water treatment
>>plants.

> Actually they last for decades according to all the research I
> remember seeing. IIRC the number of decades exceeds 10, meaning it is
> really centuries. The paper may decay quickly, but the filters last
> forever.

Cigarette filters may indeed last for centuries, but centuries doesn't equal
forever. Even mountain ranges are biodegradable.

Old July 13th 05, 08:48 PM
Pooh Bear

DTJ wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 06:09:17 +0100, Pooh Bear
> > wrote:
>

> >Comrade Yamamoto wrote:
> >
> >> meanwhile we have a huge trade deficit with China, etc....

> >On account of wanting cheap consumer goods.

> Wrong. The shift is due to companies wanting higher profits. People
> never said they wanted to reduce the cost of goods, and it has never
> happened. What happened is companies now buy $20 items for $5 and
> sell them for more than before.

I certainly see cheaper consumer goods around. Never been cheaper in
fact. Like £30 DVD players. Not sure about *higher* profits either.
Easier profits maybe.

Graham

Old July 13th 05, 10:34 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article t>,
Skip Elliott Bowman > wrote:

>Cigarette filters may indeed last for centuries, but centuries doesn't equal
>forever. Even mountain ranges are biodegradable.

Cigarette filters don't last for centuries. Well, maybe if you put
them in a landfill, but even newspaper lasts for a long time there.
They're cellulose acetate, a not particularly stable plastic. UV
degrades it, as does contact with oxygen.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old July 14th 05, 12:02 AM
Sarah Monroe

>> Cigarettes are biodegradable so what's the big deal about throwing
>> them out of a
>> car or throwing them on the ground? Much better than those
>> non-biodegradable
>> plastic forks,spoons, cups etc that people throw out of their car
>> anyplace and
>> anytime they feel like it.
>>
>> BTW, no, I don't smoke. Used to, but quit several years ago.
>>
>> Sarah
>>

> Cigarette filters take about 10-20,000 years to degrade, so
> that is stretching the definition of 'biodegradable' a bit.

So how lomg does it take when people who stand outside and smoke and
grind them into the ground. And how about all those plastic cups,
forks, spoon and foam plates and cups that people throw out the window,
they degrade by next week?

Sarah