Jim Warman, I am still confused

Old November 26th 04, 01:49 AM
John Riggs

Default Jim Warman, I am still confused

Jim, or anybody that knows, I tried again today to make sense of the codes
coming out of the OBD-1 , but since I have no real idea what it means, all I
can do is ask what the series of numbers means.

5395391157157.

Now, is it:

53 = Throttle sensor out of range; TP sensor circuit above maximum voltage

95 = Fuel pump circuit open, PCM to motor; fuel pump secondary circuit
failure, PCM to ground

39= ?

11= system pass

57= ?

157= MAF Sensor circuit below minimum voltage

I know I asked this before, but these numbers really don't mean a lot to
me unless I can connect them to a corresponding system or component.

Thanks

Old November 26th 04, 06:31 AM
Jim Warman

IIRC, yours is a '92??

I'm going to assume that these are Continuous Memory codes rather than On
Demand codes... bear in mind, codes can unwittingly be set when working
around sensors and actuators. The 53 is for the TPS. The 95.... seems to me
that one of your original complaints had to do with the fuel pump running
continuously - if the relay contacts aren't opening when they should, this
code can be generated. 39.... on OBD1 units, it was not uncommon to see
"ghost" or undocumented codes... on some models, it indicated a problem with
the trqe converter clutch but it's not listed in the '92 PC/ED. I'm not sure
where the pass code works into the picture but 57 is listed as a missing
octane adjust shorting bar or circuit problem. The PC/ED does make mention
if the code shows up with an 11 or not.....

OK... I just stared at your list a little harder....

53 - continuous memory TPS problem
95 - continuous memory, fuel pump or circuit
39 - undocumented for your unit
11 - pass code, not sure on why it shows but it seems to matter
57 - CMDTC, octane shorting bar or circuit
1 - this a separator code and would show as a 10 on higher end scan tools
57 - On Demand code for octane shorting bar or circuit

Since 57 is a hard (on demand) code, it should be attended to first. If the
bar is missing, then move on to the first CMDTC (53). If the bar is
installed, it MAY be a sign of PCM failure.... or not, so it must be checked
out. Codes on early '90s stuff will either be ALL 2 digit or ALL 3 digit -
you wont see any hodge-podges.

If CMDTC 53 is recurring, there is the possibility that the high signal to
the PCM is driving the fuel system into clear flood strategy and can result
in a no start.

HTH

Old November 26th 04, 06:44 AM
John Riggs

Okay, thanks, Jim. I knew you'd have an answer. I will have to see where
this beast is and check it out. Since it's starting to get cold here, I need
to get this dealt with pretty quick, and since I don't have a garage to work
in, I have to make it even quicker. Any tips there?

Old November 26th 04, 07:47 AM
John Riggs

Okay, I don't se anything on my list of OBD-1 codes listing #57 and no
reference to an octane shorting bar/circuit. Wanna draw me a map so I can
get started on this stuff? My books don't list such a beast.
I was thinking about cleaning the MAF sensor to see if that would clear
up the problem. If I am reading the description of it correctly, it might be
possible to have it raise resistance and lower voltage available to drive
the relays or related equip....just a guess though, and it seems to be a
rather common problem that is easily remedied.

What are your thoughts....seeing as I am handy and pretty technically
oriented, but I haven't been a mechanic for like a bazillion years?

Do they make an adapter that would patch the port to a laptop and
software to read it? If not, someone ought to put one together. It'd
certainly make life a lot easier

Thanks again.

Old November 27th 04, 04:17 AM
John Riggs

Okay, I cleaned the MAF sensor with carb cleaner, seeing as y'all do
this a lot, and reinstalled it. The CEL went out and hasn't come back on
yet. Crossing fingers, and waiting for Jim's opinion..

Old November 27th 04, 05:15 AM
Jim Warman

My experience with dirty MAFs is the odd hard start but usually crappy idle,
probably hesitation..... higher rpms are usually slower to exhibit problems
because the MAF is relative reading (like a vacuum leak can cause a crappy
idle but be a nonentity at high airflows).

Ma Ford tells us cleaning the MAF is a no-no.... from a warranty standpoint,
I can see their decision.... they want to avoid repeat visits for the same
concern. From a retai standpoint, I have to know my customer - some will opt
to clean the MAF with the undersanding that this may not be the cure.....
others would rahter be assured of a onetime fix and go the big money route.
I have seen cleaning the MAF work wonders......

What I don't see is cleaning the MAF having a lot to do with your
codes...... seems to me I often mention clearing codes and driving the car
to see what codes come back. Is there a chance you have a bunch of old
codes? You're not so much fixing a car as fixing a computer.... logic,
logic, logic. there is no cause for confusion, only cause for deeper
thought.

Old November 27th 04, 06:30 AM
John Riggs

I had cleared the codes before running the vehicle a bit to warm it up
and drive it around. Brought it back and put the reader to it. Those were
the codes I got.. So, I did as you suggested, that is why I was asking your
opinion of if it was possibly the problem or if I am waiting to see it come
back.
Trust me, I know how to follow directions. I gambled the MAF because it
seems the one thing that has been common to a lot of posts here and on the
website. Seeing as I is a po' boy, I have to watch my pennies.

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
| My experience with dirty MAFs is the odd hard start but usually crappy
idle,
| probably hesitation..... higher rpms are usually slower to exhibit
problems
| because the MAF is relative reading (like a vacuum leak can cause a crappy
| idle but be a nonentity at high airflows).
|
| Ma Ford tells us cleaning the MAF is a no-no.... from a warranty
standpoint,
| I can see their decision.... they want to avoid repeat visits for the same
| concern. From a retai standpoint, I have to know my customer - some will
opt
| to clean the MAF with the undersanding that this may not be the cure.....
| others would rahter be assured of a onetime fix and go the big money
route.
| I have seen cleaning the MAF work wonders......
|
| What I don't see is cleaning the MAF having a lot to do with your
| codes...... seems to me I often mention clearing codes and driving the car
| to see what codes come back. Is there a chance you have a bunch of old
| codes? You're not so much fixing a car as fixing a computer.... logic,
| logic, logic. there is no cause for confusion, only cause for deeper
| thought.
|

| "John Riggs" > wrote in message
| > Okay, I cleaned the MAF sensor with carb cleaner, seeing as y'all do
| > this a lot, and reinstalled it. The CEL went out and hasn't come back on
| > yet. Crossing fingers, and waiting for Jim's opinion..
| >

| > "John Riggs" > wrote in message
| > | Okay, I don't se anything on my list of OBD-1 codes listing #57 and
| > no
| > | reference to an octane shorting bar/circuit. Wanna draw me a map so I
| > can
| > | get started on this stuff? My books don't list such a beast.
| > | I was thinking about cleaning the MAF sensor to see if that would
| > clear
| > | up the problem. If I am reading the description of it correctly, it
| > might
| > be
| > | possible to have it raise resistance and lower voltage available to
| > drive
| > | the relays or related equip....just a guess though, and it seems to be
| > | rather common problem that is easily remedied.
| > |
| > | What are your thoughts....seeing as I am handy and pretty
technically
| > | oriented, but I haven't been a mechanic for like a bazillion years?
| > |
| > | Do they make an adapter that would patch the port to a laptop and
| > | software to read it? If not, someone ought to put one together. It'd
| > | certainly make life a lot easier
| > |
| > | Thanks again.
| > |
| > |
| > | "Jim Warman" > wrote in message
| > ||
| > On
| > | me
| > running
| > this
| > | with
| > | sure
| > missing
| > mention
| > ||
| > ||
| > tools
If
| > | the
| > | checked
| > digit -
| > ||
| > | result
| > ||
| > ||
| > ||
| > ||
| > |
| > |

Old November 28th 04, 05:04 AM
John Riggs

Okay, Jim, the light came on again. Seems it almost made it a whole day
without going on, and it came on, went off after a few minutes, then went
back on and stays on. So what do I check now, and how do I find it?

"John Riggs" > wrote in message
| I had cleared the codes before running the vehicle a bit to warm it up
| and drive it around. Brought it back and put the reader to it. Those were
| the codes I got.. So, I did as you suggested, that is why I was asking
your
| opinion of if it was possibly the problem or if I am waiting to see it
come
| back.
| Trust me, I know how to follow directions. I gambled the MAF because it
| seems the one thing that has been common to a lot of posts here and on the
| website. Seeing as I is a po' boy, I have to watch my pennies.
|

| "Jim Warman" > wrote in message
|| My experience with dirty MAFs is the odd hard start but usually crappy
| idle,
|| probably hesitation..... higher rpms are usually slower to exhibit
| problems
|| because the MAF is relative reading (like a vacuum leak can cause a
crappy
|| idle but be a nonentity at high airflows).
|| Ma Ford tells us cleaning the MAF is a no-no.... from a warranty
| standpoint,
|| I can see their decision.... they want to avoid repeat visits for the
same
|| concern. From a retai standpoint, I have to know my customer - some will
| opt
|| to clean the MAF with the undersanding that this may not be the cure.....
|| others would rahter be assured of a onetime fix and go the big money
| route.
|| I have seen cleaning the MAF work wonders......
|| What I don't see is cleaning the MAF having a lot to do with your
|| codes...... seems to me I often mention clearing codes and driving the
car
|| to see what codes come back. Is there a chance you have a bunch of old
|| codes? You're not so much fixing a car as fixing a computer.... logic,
|| logic, logic. there is no cause for confusion, only cause for deeper
|| thought.
|| "John Riggs" > wrote in message
|| > Okay, I cleaned the MAF sensor with carb cleaner, seeing as y'all do
|| > this a lot, and reinstalled it. The CEL went out and hasn't come back
on
|| > yet. Crossing fingers, and waiting for Jim's opinion..

|| > no
|| > can
|| > clear
|| > might
|| > be
|| > drive
|| > |
| technically
|| > |
|| > |
|| > |
|| > |
|| > ||
| than
|| > On
| working
seems
|| > running
|| > this
| see
| problem
| not
|| > missing
|| > mention
|| > ||
|| > ||
|| > tools
| If
|| > digit -
|| > ||
| signal
|| > ||
|| > ||
|| > ||
|| > ||
|| > |
|| > |

Old November 28th 04, 07:06 AM
Jim Warman

Scan codes and see which returned..... To give you an idea of the "accepted"
diagnostic routine. If there are any "hard" codes (such as your 57), these
get serviced FIRST... before doing anything else. If the 57 is still present
as an on demand code, it HAS to be addressed first since whatever is causing
the hard code may deliver other codes. If there are no hard codes, we note
any continuous codes and try to reproduce them by driving the car.

The CEL is offering valuable clues and we need to take advantage of them. If
you truly want to mind your pennies, you will avoid gambles and resort to
tried and true diagnostic procedures.

Old November 28th 04, 05:25 PM
John Riggs

Well, the 57 you addressed doesn't exist in my manuals, hence it doesn't
address how to repair it or even how to find what this problem is.
Got a road map to tell me where to look for this beast? I still need to get
out and warm up the vehicle and scan it to see what it says, but with the
snow flying and a snowblower on the fritz, everyone is more concerned about
the bloody snowblower than the vehicle that fetches the parts and groceries.
So, draw me a road map and I'll get to working on it, otherwise I'm up a
creek without a paddle / clue.

Thanks, Jim

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
| Scan codes and see which returned..... To give you an idea of the
"accepted"
| diagnostic routine. If there are any "hard" codes (such as your 57), these
| get serviced FIRST... before doing anything else. If the 57 is still
present
| as an on demand code, it HAS to be addressed first since whatever is
causing
| the hard code may deliver other codes. If there are no hard codes, we note
| any continuous codes and try to reproduce them by driving the car.
|
| The CEL is offering valuable clues and we need to take advantage of them.
If
| you truly want to mind your pennies, you will avoid gambles and resort to
| tried and true diagnostic procedures.
|

| "John Riggs" > wrote in message
| > Okay, Jim, the light came on again. Seems it almost made it a whole
day
| > without going on, and it came on, went off after a few minutes, then
went
| > back on and stays on. So what do I check now, and how do I find it?
| >

| > "John Riggs" > wrote in message
| > | I had cleared the codes before running the vehicle a bit to warm it
| > up
| > | and drive it around. Brought it back and put the reader to it. Those
| > were
| > | the codes I got.. So, I did as you suggested, that is why I was asking
| > your
| > | opinion of if it was possibly the problem or if I am waiting to see it
| > come
| > | back.
| > | Trust me, I know how to follow directions. I gambled the MAF
because
| > it
| > | seems the one thing that has been common to a lot of posts here and on
| > the
| > | website. Seeing as I is a po' boy, I have to watch my pennies.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | "Jim Warman" > wrote in message