mobile 1

Old October 15th 07, 02:34 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
*

Default mobile 1

Comboverfish > wrote in article
.com>...

> You would be hard pressed to
> find an oil that doesn't pass that minimum set of performance
> standards.

Peruse the motor oil aisle at your friendly local Wally-World.

They are now marketing older, out-of-date API spec motor oil for "older"
cars.

This is NOT like the Pennzoil or Valvoline that is marketed as having been
designed with additive packages for older cars.

This stuff is, simply, out-of-date, non-current API spec oil.......

Old October 15th 07, 04:08 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Mark A wrote:

> "Steve" > wrote in message
>
>>Or, maybe, you buy an engine that specifies a 0w30 oil..... :-)
>>
>>Personally I greeted the oddball 5w20 rating with a lot of skepticism,
>>however a lot of OEMs do specify it. I'm sure that the main reason is to
>>improve CAFE mileage performance, but its also a perfectly adequate
>>lubricant for those engines.

> Yes, I would use it if the manufacturer specified it. But this is a Toyota
> forum, and to my knowledge that has not happened yet (and especially for the
> specific models mentioned in this thread).

Well, its actually an all-makes forum as well. Look where its being posted.
Old October 15th 07, 04:16 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

* wrote:

> Comboverfish > wrote in article
> .com>...
>
>>You would be hard pressed to
>>find an oil that doesn't pass that minimum set of performance
>>standards.

> Peruse the motor oil aisle at your friendly local Wally-World.
>
> They are now marketing older, out-of-date API spec motor oil for "older"
> cars.
>
> This is NOT like the Pennzoil or Valvoline that is marketed as having been
> designed with additive packages for older cars.

Which are snake-oil anyway...

> This stuff is, simply, out-of-date, non-current API spec oil.......

Which can actually make the oil better for certain applications, so long
as it was a decent oil to start with (though most of the ones you're
describing aren't). The current API specs require lower percentages of
certain additives, particularly ZDDP, which are critical for engines
with high-pressure sliding contact points- things like non-roller cam
followers and gear drives of various types.

That's why a lot of us with vintage cars have switched over to using
diesel-spec oils (Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, Chevron Delo 400, etc.)
instead of the latest "greatest" API spec'd gasoline engine oils. Even
the diesel oils are having their percentages reduced, but not as quickly
as the gasoline-engine spec oils.

Old October 15th 07, 09:09 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Built_Well

Steve wrote:

> * wrote:
>
>> Comboverfish > wrote in article
>> .com>...
>>
>>> You would be hard pressed to
>>> find an oil that doesn't pass that minimum set of performance
>>> standards.

>> Peruse the motor oil aisle at your friendly local Wally-World.
>>
>> They are now marketing older, out-of-date API spec motor oil for "older"
>> cars.
>>
>> This is NOT like the Pennzoil or Valvoline that is marketed as having
>> been
>> designed with additive packages for older cars.

> Which are snake-oil anyway...
>
>> This stuff is, simply, out-of-date, non-current API spec oil.......
>>

> Which can actually make the oil better for certain applications, so long
> as it was a decent oil to start with (though most of the ones you're
> describing aren't). The current API specs require lower percentages of
> certain additives, particularly ZDDP, which are critical for engines
> with high-pressure sliding contact points- things like non-roller cam
> followers and gear drives of various types.
>
> That's why a lot of us with vintage cars have switched over to using
> diesel-spec oils (Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, Chevron Delo 400, etc.)
> instead of the latest "greatest" API spec'd gasoline engine oils. Even
> the diesel oils are having their percentages reduced, but not as quickly
> as the gasoline-engine spec oils.

========

If you want lots of ZDDP, you might want to try the RLI Bio-Syn oils
(RenewableLube.com).

IIRC, their oil has about 2,000 PPM (parts per million) of phosphorous
and zinc (engine wear protectant additives). Can't say for sure if this
much would eventually harm your catalytic system.
Old October 16th 07, 12:00 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Mark A

"Steve" > wrote in message
> Well, its actually an all-makes forum as well. Look where its being
> posted.

The OP asked about a specific Toyota model.

No, it is not an all makes forum. People post about politics also, but that
does not make this a political forum.

Old October 16th 07, 05:10 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Mark A wrote:
> "Steve" > wrote in message
>
>>Well, its actually an all-makes forum as well. Look where its being
>>posted.

> The OP asked about a specific Toyota model.

rec.autos.tech does seem to be flooded with huge quantities of Toyota
problem posts lately. Which is hilarious, because I always heard that
those things "never broke down." :-p

> No, it is not an all makes forum.

Yes, it is. I was referring to rec.autos.tech... which is definitely
about all manufacturers. I don't read alt.autos.toyota except for all
the cross-posting that goes on. And when I reply, I try to keep it
general if its also going back to .tech as well.

Old October 16th 07, 09:28 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Jeff[_3_]

Steve wrote:

<...>
> Yes, it is. I was referring to rec.autos.tech... which is definitely
> about all manufacturers. I don't read alt.autos.toyota except for all
> the cross-posting that goes on. And when I reply, I try to keep it
> general if its also going back to .tech as well.

If 0.1% of the Toyotae break down each year, then that is around maybe
25,000 a year.

Toytota sells more cars around the world than anyone else.

Jeff
Old October 17th 07, 02:51 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Jeff wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
> <...>
>
>> Yes, it is. I was referring to rec.autos.tech... which is definitely
>> about all manufacturers. I don't read alt.autos.toyota except for all
>> the cross-posting that goes on. And when I reply, I try to keep it
>> general if its also going back to .tech as well.

> If 0.1% of the Toyotae break down each year, then that is around maybe
> 25,000 a year.

Sorry, I don't drink cult Kool-aid anymore.

mobile 1 Built_Well Technology 0 October 8th 07 01:30 AM
A Duck mobile Evan Antique cars 4 April 14th 07 05:57 AM
Mobile One 5/50 motor oil Empty3 Corvette 7 March 14th 07 07:17 PM
Mobile 1 ATF for Accord swllz Honda 3 November 18th 06 02:19 PM
OT - Mobile Phones Dave Milne Jeep 2 December 25th 05 07:15 PM