mobile 1

Old October 8th 07, 08:03 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Jeff[_3_]

Default mobile 1

Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
<...>

> Don't these oils usually have some sort of additives (such as polymers) that
> cause it to thicken to the intended weight (e.g., 30 weight) at operating
> temperature? So based on that, 10W30 oil would be a 10 weight oil with
> additives, such that when the engine is at operating temperature, the
> additives thicken it to a 30 weight oil. Then, when the engine (and the
> additives) have cooled down, the oil is once again a 10 weight oil.

Here is another explanation: <http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question164.htm>

There are other links on that page as well.

Happy reading.

Jeff

Old October 8th 07, 08:16 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Mark A

"Jeff" > wrote in message
> Here is another explanation:
> <http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question164.htm>
>
> There are other links on that page as well.
>
> Happy reading.
>
> Jeff

That may be a reasonable explanation, but full synthetics behave quite a bit
differently than conventional oil.

Old October 8th 07, 08:28 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Oct 8, 3:16 pm, "Mark A" > wrote:
> "Jeff" > wrote in message

> > Here is another explanation:
> > <http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question164.htm>

> > There are other links on that page as well.

> > Happy reading.

> > Jeff

> That may be a reasonable explanation, but full synthetics behave quite a bit
> differently than conventional oil.

yes, the main difference being that the viscosity remains more stable
with temperature meaning that viscosities like 0W40 or 5W50 are now
practical whereas they were not with conventional dino squeezins.

nate

Old October 8th 07, 08:36 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Built_Well

I'm not certain, but I believe a synthetic 10w-30 oil and a dino
10w-30 oil are based on oils of totally different weights.
The dino 10w-30 is based on a 10-weight oil. It has VIIs (viscosity
index improvers) added to it to increase
viscosity.

But the synthetic 10w-30 oil (not conventional)
is not based on a 10-weight oil like the dino, but instead based on
30-weight. And it has what are called
"pour point depressants" so that the synthetic oil
flows much better than the conventional at
really cold temps.

A problem with VIIs (viscosity index improvers)
added to conventional oils is their degradation
over time, especially in cold weather.

Old October 8th 07, 08:56 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Mark A

"Built_Well" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I'm not certain, but I believe a synthetic 10w-30 oil and a dino
> 10w-30 oil are based on oils of totally different weights.
> The dino 10w-30 is based on a 10-weight oil. It has VIIs (viscosity
> index improvers) added to it to increase
> viscosity.
>
> But the synthetic 10w-30 oil (not conventional)
> is not based on a 10-weight oil like the dino, but instead based on
> 30-weight. And it has what are called
> "pour point depressants" so that the synthetic oil
> flows much better than the conventional at
> really cold temps.
>
> A problem with VIIs (viscosity index improvers)
> added to conventional oils is their degradation
> over time, especially in cold weather.

A full synthetic oil has "some" multi-viscosity properties even without any
additives, which is one reason it is far superior to conventional oil.

Old October 8th 07, 09:05 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Built_Well

Mark A wrote:

> A full synthetic oil has "some" multi-viscosity properties even without any
> additives, which is one reason it is far superior to conventional oil._

========

Mark, you finally said something intelligent.
Good for you.

However, continue to avoid the 0w-30 oils lest they
bite you on the nose - LOL

Old October 8th 07, 09:08 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Mark A

"Built_Well" > wrote in message > Mark, you
finally said something intelligent.
> Good for you.
>
> However, continue to avoid the 0w-30 oils lest they
> bite you on the nose - LOL

I will continue to avoid 0W-30 unless an ice age returns, or I move to
Alaska.

Old October 9th 07, 04:17 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:

> Don't these oils usually have some sort of additives (such as polymers) that
> cause it to thicken to the intended weight (e.g., 30 weight) at operating
> temperature?

You're probably referring to "viscosity modifiers," which do change
their characteristics to make the thickness of the oil stay more
constant over temperature. But over the last 20 years, more and more
oils are being made with no viscosity modifiers whatsoever. So no, they
don't always have polymer additives anymore. Synthetics, in particular,
can be made to have a wide mult-viscosity rating without resorting to
modifiers.

Old October 9th 07, 04:20 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Mark A wrote:

> "Built_Well" > wrote in message > Mark, you
> finally said something intelligent.
>
>>Good for you.
>>
>>However, continue to avoid the 0w-30 oils lest they
>>bite you on the nose - LOL

> I will continue to avoid 0W-30 unless an ice age returns, or I move to
> Alaska.

Or, maybe, you buy an engine that specifies a 0w30 oil..... :-)

Personally I greeted the oddball 5w20 rating with a lot of skepticism,
however a lot of OEMs do specify it. I'm sure that the main reason is to
improve CAFE mileage performance, but its also a perfectly adequate
lubricant for those engines.
Old October 9th 07, 08:26 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 08:11:10 -0500, "*" > wrote:

>Not only do you have Mobil-1 spelled wrong, you have the entire concept of
>multi-viscosity oils backwards.
>
>When you shut your hot engine off at night, a 10w-30 oil has the viscosity
>of a 30 weight, while in the morning, when it is cooler, it has the
>viscosity of a 10 weight.
>
>Your "expert" had better stick to passing out pills and doing digital
>rectal exams.
>
>He, apparently, needs a few more decades to get the multi-viscosity concept
>correct.

You have the problem. You can't see the difference between your
statement and his. Let me simplify it for you.

His statement: When cool 10W-30 oil has a viscosity of 90.

Your statement: When cool a10W-30 oil has the viscosity of a
10 weight oil...............hint10W oil has a viscosity of 90 at
cool temperatures)

mobile 1 Built_Well Technology 0 October 8th 07 01:30 AM
A Duck mobile Evan Antique cars 4 April 14th 07 05:57 AM
Mobile One 5/50 motor oil Empty3 Corvette 7 March 14th 07 07:17 PM
Mobile 1 ATF for Accord swllz Honda 3 November 18th 06 02:19 PM
OT - Mobile Phones Dave Milne Jeep 2 December 25th 05 07:15 PM