Top ten all american sports cars

Old August 7th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Default Top ten all american sports cars

N8N wrote:

> On Aug 6, 3:59 pm, Steve > wrote:
>
>>Nate Nagel wrote:

>>>1) where's the list?

>>>2) I can't think of ten American sports cars. There's the Corvette, the
>>>Solstice/Sky, and then you have to get real obscure... Muntz Jet,
>>>Kaiser Darrin, that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Unless
>>>you count specials like Old Yaller.

>>>nate

>>Viper, Solstice, Fiero (justly deserved insults notwithstanding), Shelby
>>Cobra (and its only half American.) I'm stuck after that.

> Ya got me on Viper (guess it didn't appeal to me so I didn't think of
> it,)

I almost excluded it because of sheer performance. Its more in the
"exotic" class.

but I'd exclude the Fiero (and also the Crossfire - pre-emptive
> strike there) due to the lack of a removable top.

Point taken.
Old August 7th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

news wrote:

> I'm using wikipedia's definition of a sports car:

Well that was a mistake...
> "A sports car is an automobile designed for performance driving. Most
> sports cars are rear-wheel drive, have two seats, two doors, and are
> designed for precise handling, acceleration, and aesthetics. A sports
> car's dominant considerations can be superior road handling, braking,
> maneuverability, low weight, and high power, rather than passenger
> space, comfort, and fuel economy."

Two seat. NO rear seat.

> Vette
> Viper
> Solstice/Sky

Agreed...

> Mustang
> Cougar

Nope, no way.

> Thunderbird

1955 thru 1957 ONLY- but good catch, the rest of us forgot it completely.

> Camaro/Firebird

See Mustang (and Barracuda and Challenger are similarly disallowed,
unfortunately.

> Fiero

I say yes, but "sports car" does connote a removable top most of the time.

> Dodge Charger

My personal favorite vehicle of all time particularly the 66/67
Fastbacks and the 68-70 "Coke Bottle" bodies), but not a sports car. I
mean, all the Chargers can carry at least 4 people in reasonable
comfort, if not 5 or even 6 (bench/bench seat versions).

> Plymouth Laser/Eagle Talon (although they're half Japanese)
> Ford Probe

Nope. Two big strikes- front drive (although the Talon was available in
AWD) and they've got a back seat.

> Saleen S7
> Vector

I'll have to look those up.

> Delorean

Hmmm. Qualifies on most things. Except that "performance" bit....

> Moser Raptor

Do ONE-seaters count? :-)

> Panoz

> I'm willing to give a half point to performance editions of certain
> other cars too, most of them being "sport coupes" such as the Beretta
> GTZ, Monte Carlo SS, and stuff, but they're not really sports cars.

Front-drive vehicles need not apply, even if they have 350 horsepower!

Did anyone mention the AMX yet? If we allow non-convertibles then its
gotta qualify. Strictly a 2-seater, plenty of performance.

Old August 7th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

news > wrote:
>Plymouth Laser/Eagle Talon (although they're half Japanese)

The Laser was Chrysler-badged. The Dodge Daytona was of course the same
body with a smaller engine. Dunno if they sold the thing under the Plymouth
name.

My experience with these cars is that everything on them that was made in
Japan just keeps running and running, and everything made in America falls
off or breaks.
--scott
Old August 7th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Steve > wrote:

>> Delorean

>Hmmm. Qualifies on most things. Except that "performance" bit....

I thought this was actually a British car. American engine, though,
so the oil leak rule may not apply.
--scott
Old August 7th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hudson[_4_]

Steve Wrote:
> Front-drive vehicles need not apply, even if they have 350 horsepower!
>

> Did anyone mention the AMX yet? If we allow non-convertibles then its
> gotta qualify. Strictly a 2-seater, plenty of performance.

Sports cars can have more than 2 seats. Who's going to say that a
Porsche 911 isn't a sports car?

And sports cars can have front-wheel drive. The Ford Probe fits into
this category as does the Lotus Elan (not fitting in this category
because it's English).
Scott Dorsey Wrote:
> news > wrote:
> >Plymouth Laser/Eagle Talon (although they're half Japanese)

> The Laser was Chrysler-badged. The Dodge Daytona was of course the
> same
> body with a smaller engine. Dunno if they sold the thing under the
> Plymouth
> name.

The Chrysler Laser was different from the Plymouth Laser. The Chrysler
Laser was entirely Chrysler Corporation designed while the Plymouth
Laser was primarily a Mitsubishi design.

I do have a problem with the Delorean being added to this list, since
it's Irish with a French engine. The Bricklin was Canadian, which is
far more American than the Delorean, but nobody's mentioned it.

--
Hudson
Hudson's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...hp?userid=2454

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old August 7th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Would Muntz qualify? www.americansportscars.com/muntz.html

I wouldn't mind if I owned a Muntz car, I think they look tough.Muntz
also built some tv sets for sale.
cuhulin

Old August 7th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> news > wrote:
>
>>Plymouth Laser/Eagle Talon (although they're half Japanese)

> The Laser was Chrysler-badged. The Dodge Daytona was of course the same
> body with a smaller engine. Dunno if they sold the thing under the Plymouth
> name.

Wrong "Laser." You're thinking of the Dodge Daytona / Chrysler Laser
(which they may have spelled 'Lazer') from the 80s, which was 100%
Detroit. 2.2 (or 2.5L) Chrysler 4-cylinder power, though later I think
they weighted it down with the POS Mitsubishi 3.0 v6 like they did the
LeBaron. Awsome little cars, the turbo versions went like stink. There
was even an IROC R/T version of the Daytona with the 2.2L 220HP DOHC
turbo, which was incredibly fast. Sub 12 second fast. Unfortunately, the
lifespan of the timing belt on that Lotus-head version of the engine was
about 10k miles. It was basically a demostration engine that was put in
limited production for enthusiasts. Very collectable cars now.

He was talkng about the Eagle Talon/PLYMOUTH Laser/ Mitsu****ti Eclipse
from the 1990s, which regardless of badge was 100% Mitsubishi junk.

Old August 7th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Steve > wrote:
>
>>>Delorean

>>Hmmm. Qualifies on most things. Except that "performance" bit....

> I thought this was actually a British car. American engine, though,
> so the oil leak rule may not apply.
> --scott

I don't actually remember where the car was assembled nor where the body
and chassis were built. But I do remember that the powerplant was the
godforsaken PRV (Pugeot-Renault-Volvo) v6 that later went into the Eagle
Premier. No power AND no reliability. The best of French engineering.... :-/

Old August 7th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Hudson wrote:

> Steve Wrote:
>
>>Front-drive vehicles need not apply, even if they have 350 horsepower!
>>

>>Did anyone mention the AMX yet? If we allow non-convertibles then its
>>gotta qualify. Strictly a 2-seater, plenty of performance.

> Sports cars can have more than 2 seats. Who's going to say that a
> Porsche 911 isn't a sports car?

Me, if it has a back seat. :-) Heck, I'm still wary of allowing fixed
tops into the definition.

> And sports cars can have front-wheel drive.

No, they can't. No way, no how. There's no such animal.

Old August 7th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

On Aug 4, 5:47 am, Philospher > wrote:
> Top ten all american sports carshttp://mailone.blogspot.com/2007/08/ten-all-american-sports-cars.html

Before we try to name 3, 5 or 10 american made sports cars, just what
exactly is a sports car. Two seats and a rag top would mean an Auburn
Boat Tail would be included with the Thunderbird but the Mustang would
be excluded.

Top ten all american sports cars Phii Driving 2 August 4th 07 11:34 PM
Elva Sports Cars Van tby Auto Photos 0 June 14th 07 11:25 AM
End Of American Cars..?? Sailbad the Sinner Corvette 21 July 12th 06 01:02 AM
Mustang has lowest defect rate per 100 cars of all American Cars Garth Almgren Ford Mustang 2 March 11th 05 03:20 PM