'68 Bus Heater Question: Asbestos

Old January 22nd 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Twisted Vintage

Default '68 Bus Heater Question: Asbestos

I am in the process of fixing up a '68 bus.

I thought I read somwhere a few months ago that the insulation around the
heater pipe (underneath bus) is wrapped in Asbestos.

Is that true?

Thanks,
Doug
http://www.tshirtsinkandmore.com

Old January 22nd 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

Twisted Vintage wrote:
9*\I am in the process of fixing up a '68 bus./
96+

> I thought I read somwhere a few months ago that the insulation around the
> heater pipe (underneath bus) is wrapped in Asbestos.
>
> Is that true?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug
> http://www.tshirtsinkandmore.com

The accrdeon tube that connects the heater pipes to the body has a white
fiber sleeve in it where it meets the heat exchanger. It's asbestos.
Later models used a bright orange rubber seal.
0+6

I don't know what the actual heat exhangers are lined with, they have a
heat wrapping on the inside too.

Jan

(Excuse me the odd characters in this message, the puppy walked on the
keyboard while I was away )

';[p]
..0

10-
..-*+941
Old January 23rd 07, 08:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Juper Wort

> heat wrapping on the inside too.
>

> Jan
>
> (Excuse me the odd characters in this message, the puppy walked on the
> keyboard while I was away )
>
> ';[p]
> .0
>
> 10-
> .-*+941

Wow, clever dog can hold a shift key too <BG>

james

Old January 23rd 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Twisted Vintage

Should I put on a dust mask and pray when I remove it?

Any tips anyone?

Old January 23rd 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky

if you are worried - I think the precautions are to get someone else to do
it !
Asbestos particles are too small to be stopped by a mask !

air fed will work, or a cartridge mask with the correct filter cartridge.

if you are going to do it, damp it down and wrap it in plasitic before you
remove it - then put it in two plastic bags and take it to your nearest
waste plant.
and remember - your clothes may become contaminated.

Thats the standard advice for asbestos - but I dont know how much is on the
bit you are removing ? Like old brake pads - many people dont bother with
any precautions !

Rich
"Twisted Vintage" > wrote in message
t...
> Should I put on a dust mask and pray when I remove it?
>
> Any tips anyone?
>
>> The accrdeon tube that connects the heater pipes to the body has a white
>> fiber sleeve in it where it meets the heat exchanger. It's asbestos.
>> Later models used a bright orange rubber seal.
>> 0+6

>> I don't know what the actual heat exhangers are lined with, they have a
>> heat wrapping on the inside too.

>> Jan

Camaro a/c heater question Sax Technology 0 January 5th 06 04:11 AM
Heater Question ls1transam Dodge 0 December 16th 05 02:52 AM
68' VW Bus Heater Question Fish VW air cooled 2 July 14th 05 04:20 AM
Heater Blower Upgrade Question Michael White Jeep 16 December 9th 04 01:41 PM