flywheel ring gear

Old January 11th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

Default flywheel ring gear

Sorry Joe this is the page I was meaning to paste into the message. I
swear I do this kind of crap like not attaching files or including
links atleast ones a week. My appologies.

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/6v_12v.htm

Tony you mean grind out the bell housing not the case, right?

Anyway Jim's page is pretty comprehencive, it does describe the changes
from 6 to 12v on the flywheel and what you have to do to make it all
fit. btw I've checked aircooled for 12v conversion articles and I
could not find any....

Anton

Old January 11th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

anton wrote:
> Sorry Joe this is the page I was meaning to paste into the message. I
> swear I do this kind of crap like not attaching files or including
> links atleast ones a week. My appologies.

So what you're saying is that you're getting old? ;o)

> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/6v_12v.htm
>
> Tony you mean grind out the bell housing not the case, right?

The bell housing is part of the transaxle case so I see them as one in
the same... Six of one half a dozen of the other...

> Anyway Jim's page is pretty comprehencive, it does describe the changes
> from 6 to 12v on the flywheel and what you have to do to make it all
> fit. btw I've checked aircooled for 12v conversion articles and I
> could not find any....

You can't beat the info from Speedy Jim... He's been there and done
that way more than most of us.

Tony
Old January 11th 07, 06:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

Oh, shoot! I didn't realize that it's snotrak. Didn't somebody say
something about one not a while ago about it?

Anyway I couldn't tell from the diagrams what starter they are using
wether it's a vw or something else. If it vw, you can still put a 12v
with a sleeve.

What exactly are you trying to do convert it to 12v? or just swap out
the flywheel? if you are not converting to 12v 1200cc flywheel on
1600cc motor is fine.

Anton

Old January 11th 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

nah, just spaced out

Old January 11th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
joe

The problem is putting the 1600cc flywheel on will cause a problem
because the 6 volt starter mounts in a different place and would
interfere with the steering mechanism. I wanted to keep the 1200cc
flywheel on and just change the ring gear so I can keep the starter in
the same place.

Old January 12th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

hmmm
Just curious but what kind of air cooled VW is this?
How would the starter possibly interfere with the steering?
Is this some kind of kit car?

I want pictures!!!!! <g>

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

ups.com...

Old January 12th 07, 08:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Juper Wort

"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
. net...
> hmmm
> Just curious but what kind of air cooled VW is this?
> How would the starter possibly interfere with the steering?
> Is this some kind of kit car?
>
> I want pictures!!!!! <g>
>
> later,
> dave
> (One out of many daves)

Sounds like a snowtrac thing i once saw,...

Old January 12th 07, 09:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
joe

It is a Snotrac ST4
How do I post a picture?

Old January 12th 07, 12:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

joe wrote:
> It is a Snotrac ST4

The 12 volt starter that came in my 1966 Bug (6 to 12 volt conversion)
was the same size and shape as the later 12v unit that I replaced it
with when I installed the later engine and gearbox. If you're going to
post pix, first put them up on the web some where and then put links to
them in your newsgroup posts. Second, be sure and get pictures of the
starters in question as well as where close ups of the case where the
starter goes. It doesn't make sense to most of us why you're having
problems with the 12v starter fitting with out hitting other parts.

Tony
Old January 14th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

http://www.klovsjo.com/snowtrac/

checkout "Downloads and articels" link here is a 7.5 mb doc with all
diagrams. yes it is quite different :-)

Anton