The Best Cars in the World

Old January 2nd 07, 06:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Default The Best Cars in the World

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> scosio > wrote:
> >The best car is very subjective.

> No, but the WORST car is the Trabant. It's so bad, it's cool.

How about the Yugo? Who would have thought that anything from Yugoslavia
could possibly fall apart?

;-)

--
Paul Hovnanian
At some point it becomes necessary to behead all the architects and
Old January 2nd 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >,
Paul Hovnanian P.E. > wrote:
>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>
>> scosio > wrote:
>> >The best car is very subjective.

>> No, but the WORST car is the Trabant. It's so bad, it's cool.

>How about the Yugo? Who would have thought that anything from Yugoslavia
>could possibly fall apart?

My friend used to have a Yugo, but now he has a Bosnogo and a Serbo, and
a Montenegro in his garage.

Even so, the Trabant is the winner. I was talking with a couple of
former East German electrical engineers this summer, and one of them
was heavily into Trabant racing.

ONE: The Trabant is actually a very reliable car, because there is so
little to go wrong with it.

TWO: Yes, and anything that fails can easily be replaced.

ONE: They are the most reliable cars I know.

TWO: Of course, sometimes they catch fire.

ONE: Yes, that's true, you need to carry an extinguisher.
--scott

Old January 3rd 07, 05:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 12:09:36 -0600, "*" > wrote:

>OurCarGuy > wrote in article
. com>...

>> Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> > On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 04:29:52 -0600, "*" > wrote:
>> > And there is a reason Taxi's love Crown Vics ....
>> > and it's not because they have to repair them all the time....

>> That's precisely the point my mechanic was making. He once told me
>> that he used to work for an auto dealer in Houston and had an ongoing
>> agreement with a local cab company that, whenever someone traded in a
>> Town Car, Grand Marquis or Crown Vic, it would immediately be sold to
>> them.
>>

>I believe you would also find this - as with police "preferences" for the
>Ford RWD cars - is predicated more on the need for a roomy back seat to
>accomodate passengers - the base of their business - than for any other
>parameter.
>
>It is no secret that taxi service is actually GOOD for a vehicle - allowing
>them to fully warm up and spend most of their life running at design
>temperatures for the engine, transmission and rear axle.
>
>When I worked on a fleet of slant-six taxies, they consistently went 200K
>without so much as removing the rocker cover.

The slant six in any vehicle application was notorious for lasting
forever.
Old January 3rd 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
J J

In the past two of the best police and highway patrol cars we early
70s Mercury Marquis, and mid 70s Chevrolet Police Nova.
Some departments liked them so well they kept them twice as long as
other brands.

Old January 3rd 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

J J wrote:

> In the past two of the best police and highway patrol cars we early
> 70s Mercury Marquis, and mid 70s Chevrolet Police Nova.

Not on this planet. The top rated police cruiser in most surveys I've
read is the '69 Dodge Polara. Chevy didn't even register more than a
blip in terms of police car sales until AFTER Mopar was out of the
business in the late 80s.

Old January 3rd 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
z[_1_]

rpbc wrote:
> The best cars are the lower line General Motors and Toyota vehicles. Most
> reliable, most for the money, best service record, cheaper replacement
> parts when needed.... generally.

Especially the lower line General Motors which ARE Toyota vehicles. Or
were.

Old January 3rd 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

Philospher wrote:
> Which is the best car in the world.It is your choice,but if you have
> the information the choice becomes easier.We can see solar cars by the
> end of 2007.Japanese car makers are working hard to bring new features
> to the cars.What are the features everyone is looking for.Do you have
> the answer :
> http://www.latest-cars-in-the-world.blogspot.com

The subject of your message Best Cars In The World isn't supported by
your blog which talks only about the latest gadget laden cars.

Old January 3rd 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

John S. wrote:

> Philospher wrote:
>
>>Which is the best car in the world.It is your choice,but if you have
>>the information the choice becomes easier.We can see solar cars by the
>>end of 2007.Japanese car makers are working hard to bring new features
>>to the cars.What are the features everyone is looking for.Do you have
>>the answer :
>>http://www.latest-cars-in-the-world.blogspot.com

> The subject of your message Best Cars In The World isn't supported by
> your blog which talks only about the latest gadget laden cars.

I agree completely, and that may be a first for me and John S. ;-).

Old January 3rd 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

* wrote:

> When I worked on a fleet of slant-six taxies, they consistently went 200K
> without so much as removing the rocker cover.

I guess your mechanics were unaware that you were supposed to adjust
the valve clearances at least once a year?

nate

Old January 4th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

N8N wrote:
> * wrote:
>

>>When I worked on a fleet of slant-six taxies, they consistently went 200K
>>without so much as removing the rocker cover.

> I guess your mechanics were unaware that you were supposed to adjust
> the valve clearances at least once a year?
>
> nate

Probably, although if this was after sometime around '78 the slanty got
hydraulic lifters. But a slant-6 will STILL go 200k without a valve
adjustment- it just sounds like a sewing machine. Unlike an air-cooled
VW where the valves stretch and the lash decreases until a valve burns
if you don't adjust them, a slanty's valve lash will just slowly
increase due to wear on the rockers and pushrod tips. Excessive lash
won't hurt the engine, its just noisy.

World War Three has started GatherNoMoss Driving 99 July 29th 06 12:43 AM
Dealing with Flood Cars Big Earl Audi 0 October 4th 05 12:02 AM
Drving faster, in my experience does not make a significant change in mileage... Cory Dunkle Driving 118 February 4th 05 03:00 PM
FS: 1991 "Classic Cars" (Of The World) Cards with Box J.R. Sinclair General 0 May 27th 04 07:31 AM
Dream Cars, The Best Cars in the World Rare Old Things Antique cars 0 February 14th 04 04:38 AM