1994 Grand Caravan Ignition Switch

Old August 10th 04, 03:44 AM

Default 1994 Grand Caravan Ignition Switch

I placed the key in the cylinder and gave it a turn to start up the van.
The key turned pretty freely - there was no resistance. It did power
on the accessories, etc, but there wasn't that extra push required to
crank the starter, and the starter did nothing. And it just didn't feel
right.

I played with it for a while, and found that if I pushed the key *into*
the switch very, very hard , it would grab something inside and the
starter would crank. I've been able to start it five times like that
since noon, but each time it gets worse and worse.

I have to fix it tomorrow AM.

I'm not sure if I need an ignition switch, or a cylinder, or both.

Anyway, I'm hopin' this newsgroup will have an answer for me.

The dealer guestimated $260 plus tax. I need to do this much cheaper.

Can someone give me their opinion, and tell me tell me how to replace the
switch/cylinder. ( I found bits and pieces online, but not the whole story -
I think I'll need a secure torx driver as well - hope they have that at the
parts store. )

Your help is appreciated...

....Mike

Old August 11th 04, 10:44 PM
John H

I have replaced several on 93 Caravans. The Switch was about $40 and
the Cylinder was around $25 if I remember right. The last ones I got
at a You Pull It Junkyard. If the 94 is the same as the 93 you will
need a security Torx Bit. Be careful what type of bit driver you use,
the bolt sits quite a way in and too wide a driver won't allow the bit
to set in the head of the bolt. There was only 3 screws holding the
switch in place. You might want to take the cylinder out first. One
that I had to replace the bottom of the cylinder had broken off and it
could not reach the cam for the starter. That may be what is happening
with yours. Good luck. If you need more advice email me. John

Old August 11th 04, 10:44 PM
John H

gas shutoff switch? Gene Audi 3 December 6th 04 04:34 AM
Help Re. Audi A4 starting problem - ?immobiliser or ignition barrel Gary Murison Audi 5 September 27th 04 02:24 PM
S3(a3) light switch removal? Andy Audi 0 August 27th 04 04:40 PM
VW Electric Window Switch Funny Behaviour Chris Audi 4 June 2nd 04 07:26 PM
remove ignition switch on 92 spider voloce? ody Alfa Romeo 0 May 3rd 04 10:36 PM