IRS/Swing axle questions

Old July 24th 05, 08:42 PM
speedbuggy

Default IRS/Swing axle questions

Hi all,
I am new to the vw thing and am considering building a custom dune buggy.
Someone gave me a swing axle transmission, however I would like to build the
new buggy with an IRS suspension. Is there anyway to convert the swing axle
transmission in to a IRS style transmission?

Thanks for your help,
Kris

Old July 24th 05, 09:38 PM
Speedy Jim

speedbuggy wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am new to the vw thing and am considering building a custom dune buggy.
> Someone gave me a swing axle transmission, however I would like to build the
> new buggy with an IRS suspension. Is there anyway to convert the swing axle
> transmission in to a IRS style transmission?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Kris

In theory, yes. In practice....ugh!

See how they are built:
http://www.ckoon.org/vw/tranny/tranny.html
http://www.tunacan.net/t4/tech/trans.shtml
http://www.longenterprises.com/

You would need a spare IRS tranny just for the needed parts.
And the swing axle you have may be junk to begin with.

Just taking one apart (let alone putting back together)
requires special tools. The most crucial part is setting
the mesh of the ring and pinion, which would need to be done
after conversion.

--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old July 30th 05, 07:03 AM
ThaDriver

> Hi all,
> I am new to the vw thing and am considering building a custom dune

buggy.
> Someone gave me a swing axle transmission, however I would like to

build
the
> new buggy with an IRS suspension. Is there anyway to convert the swing

axle
> transmission in to a IRS style transmission?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Kris

In theory, yes. In practice....ugh!

See how they are built:
http://www.ckoon.org/vw/tranny/tranny.html
http://www.tunacan.net/t4/tech/trans.shtml
http://www.longenterprises.com/

You would need a spare IRS tranny just for the needed parts.
And the swing axle you have may be junk to begin with.

Just taking one apart (let alone putting back together)
requires special tools. The most crucial part is setting
the mesh of the ring and pinion, which would need to be done
after conversion.
You also have to consider the mount on the torsion tube for the swing arm.
Best to get a donor car with the IRS to have everything.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

It's been so long since I've had sex, I can't remember who gets tied up.