So You Think You Want Computer Controlled Steering

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 28th 05, 05:09 PM
Bernd Felsche

(Matthew Russotto) writes:

>>>I think the engineers decided that a high reading from that
>>>particular sensor likely meant a system malfunction, not someone
>>>braking hard.

>>Sorry; that's simply not acceptable as an answer. Either the
>>"engineers" are grossly incompetent or they erred severely in
>>deciding what is a failure by being ignorant of the boundary
>>conditions. Drivers are taught to exert as much pressure as
>>possible, as quickly as possible on ABS-equipped cars for emergency
>>braking.

>My point isn't that it wasn't a mistake, but that it's not a mistake
>particular to software. The _specs_ were wrong.

That's not a valid reason. It may be an excuse but not a valid one.
Specifications shouldn't come out of thin air.

A competent Engineer would have spotted the error in the
"specification" at the beginning. And if not then, then when
checking boundary conditions. I don't work in that area of the
industry yet I know (as would any layman who's tested their skills
in a braking simulator at a motor show) that a pedal force
equivalent to 70 kg of weight is *easily* exceeded by a trained
driver in emergency braking situations.

I expect that the force could exceed 2kN. It wouldn't be a sensor
fault. The hydraulics should safely cope with resulting pressures
and still have a safety factor.

>>This discussion is about the advisability of electronic steering in
>>the real world.

>>The possibility of discontinuous behaviour of software when it
>>fails is known to be potentially catastrophic. The risk of failure
>>outweighs the assumed benefit.

>Purely mechanical systems and electromechanical systems can also
>exhibit "discontinuous behavior" when they fail.

But they typically do not "reset" themselves and conceal their
faults.

I gather that you don't subscribe to comp.risks.
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!
X against HTML mail | Copy me into your ~/.signature
/ \ and postings | to help me spread!