Honda

Old August 31st 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Honda

Hello! Just looking for opinions. I currently have a 1997 Honda Civic
Ex. I just had to put a new clutch in it and now the transmission is
going bad. Some people have told me to sell it while others have told
me to get a new car. It has 165,000 miles on it. I've been good about
getting my oil changed. I've also had it tuned up regularly. This car
has been awesome to me since day one just until recently with the
clutch and transmission going bad all at once. I am a college student
and I drive to my campus which is an hour from my house 5 days per
week. Any thoughts?

Also I've had 2 shops look at it and this is how I found out it was my
transmission. They've also told me its fine for me to drive it until it
starts making a really bad sound. Some people have told me to drive it
until graduation (1 year) and then get rid of it. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Old August 31st 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

> Also I've had 2 shops look at it and this is how I found out it was my
> transmission. They've also told me its fine for me to drive it until it
> starts making a really bad sound. Some people have told me to drive it
> until graduation (1 year) and then get rid of it. Any thoughts?

My advice: If the car is paid for, then throw some money in the bank
every couple weeks and in a year buy a used transaxle from a junkyard
and have a shop install it for you. A used tranny with a warranty would
probably set you back about $300, and figure about that much having a
reputable shop install it.

Chris

Old August 31st 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Old August 31st 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Hey! Sorry I did not give a good description. The gears are fine, it
shifts fine and stays in gear. It is making a sound when I am in second
gear that sounds like chain but its not very loud at all. Does this
help? (Sorry!)

Old August 31st 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_64_]

Don't need second gear...just wind it up high in first and go to
third...I had a neighbor that drove his Civic for almost a year with
the throwout bearing zorched...clutch was completely inoperative, had
to start the motor in first, and float his shifts...and let it die as
he came to a stop and put it back in first...

Couldn't believe the starter held on that long...:lol:
Honda...amazing...

--
jeffcoslacker
jeffcoslacker's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=219638