on board computer fault

Old October 2nd 04, 09:32 PM
fiorello

Default on board computer fault

my reset switch or button on my right hand stalk for my on board computer
will not reset the dash trip ,fuel consumption etc , i have strip the stalk
backing off to see any faults ,cleaned connection s ,but still isnt working
,cud it be the dash instrument it self at fault?

Old October 3rd 04, 02:14 AM
daytripper

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 20:32:01 GMT, "fiorello" > wrote:

>my reset switch or button on my right hand stalk for my on board computer
>will not reset the dash trip ,fuel consumption etc , i have strip the stalk
>backing off to see any faults ,cleaned connection s ,but still isnt working
>,cud it be the dash instrument it self at fault?

What model/year are you referring to? Up through the 2002 models, I don't
believe the stalk is used to reset the trip meter - there is a button mounted
on the instrument cluster for that purpose.

Perhaps it is time to read the fine manual? ;-)

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd
Old October 3rd 04, 05:13 AM
Mike Smith

daytripper wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 20:32:01 GMT, "fiorello" > wrote:
>

>>my reset switch or button on my right hand stalk for my on board computer
>>will not reset the dash trip ,fuel consumption etc , i have strip the stalk
>>backing off to see any faults ,cleaned connection s ,but still isnt working
>>,cud it be the dash instrument it self at fault?

> What model/year are you referring to? Up through the 2002 models, I don't
> believe the stalk is used to reset the trip meter - there is a button mounted
> on the instrument cluster for that purpose.

There is also a trip mileage counter on the dash, which is supposed to
be reset along with time, fuel economy, etc. when pressing *and holding*
the button on the stalk. Just pressing it switches between the "trip"
data and the "lifetime" data.

--
Mike Smith
Old October 4th 04, 01:23 AM
daytripper

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 00:13:44 -0400, Mike Smith
> wrote:

>daytripper wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 20:32:01 GMT, "fiorello" > wrote:
>>

>>>my reset switch or button on my right hand stalk for my on board computer
>>>will not reset the dash trip ,fuel consumption etc , i have strip the stalk
>>>backing off to see any faults ,cleaned connection s ,but still isnt working
>>>,cud it be the dash instrument it self at fault?

>> What model/year are you referring to? Up through the 2002 models, I don't
>> believe the stalk is used to reset the trip meter - there is a button mounted
>> on the instrument cluster for that purpose.

>There is also a trip mileage counter on the dash, which is supposed to
>be reset along with time, fuel economy, etc. when pressing *and holding*
>the button on the stalk. Just pressing it switches between the "trip"
>data and the "lifetime" data.

Really? Again, what model/year? The only trip meter on the B5 A4/S4 is
directly adjacent to the odometer, and is cleared with a dash-mounted button,
not the stalk...

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd
Old October 8th 04, 06:09 PM
fiorello

1998 A3 18T is the model everyone! im talking about the reset button under
the right hand wiperswitch/ stalk !!of course,, which resets and controls
the digital centre part of the dash instrumentation, like stop watch/
average / fuel consumption etc well mine will not reset it ,like i said ive
striped the backing off the stalk to reveal the inside in which i have
checked and cleaned ,but still isnt working ,so cud it be the dash
instrument it self anyone plz help
cheers