6volt choke

Old August 1st 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mac

Default 6volt choke

"zigford" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello all.
>
> My sister has a 63 bug with everything still 6volt.
>
> Now that its winter here in Australia, we need the choke more now than
> ever.
> The old 6v heater element for the choke burned up long ago, so I went
> in search for a replacment element. After a quick browse on some local
> sites and aircooled.net, I can't seem to source a new 6v element.
>
> I'm guessing that a 12v element simply wouldn't heat up running from a
> 6v system.
>
> Anybody faced this issue before? Do I have to use a tranformer to step
> up the voltage? Anyone got any simple blueprints to make a device like
> this myself?
>
> Cheers

http://www.bughaus.com/beetle54.htm

Down about 5 sections of parts....... they sell 6V elements apparently. Not
easy to find though!!

Old August 2nd 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

Winter!!?? Are you kidding me?? I know their is a time difference from
here to Australia, but never knew their was a seasons difference. I
would have figured it was hot as could be their right now. So hot here,
I'm about to die.

Old August 2nd 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
zigford

Mac wrote:
> http://www.bughaus.com/beetle54.htm
>
> Down about 5 sections of parts....... they sell 6V elements apparently. Not
> easy to find though!!

Thanks for the link Mac. Althought this is a good answer, it would
also be neat to know how to make a transformer.

Can anyone help here, maybe someone with some sparky background?

Thanks

Old August 2nd 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Sneaks

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Winter!!?? Are you kidding me?? I know their is a time difference from
> here to Australia, but never knew their was a seasons difference. I
> would have figured it was hot as could be their right now. So hot here,
> I'm about to die.

Seasons are opposite on the other side of the equator.

I'm missing my New Hampshire winter right now.....9:30pm and still 91F with
88% humidity.

I want snow.
NOW DAMNIT.

Sneaks
'68 T1

Old August 2nd 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
zigford

Okay, I have done a bit of searching and found some plans to make this
unit.

Does anyone know how much current the 12v element draws?
The circuit at the following website can only supply about 800mA, which
might not be enough.

http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/6-12conv.htm