Unibody rigidity

Old April 20th 14, 01:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N[_2_]

Default Unibody rigidity

On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:38:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> My 1981 Buick Century: Noticed lots of squeeks and rattles. I relocated the strikers inward on all four doors in that thing, and it actually began speaking German! Seriously - the body felt tighter, the suspension responded more readily to both the road and my inputs. It felt more like an Autobahn burner than a cushy Detroit rolling library.
>

> My 1996 Ford Contour: Much taughter little sedan than the Buick for sure.. But I read in the chassis manual I bought for it that both the front and rear glass "must be properly mounted and sealed to insure body rigidity."
>

> Are unibodies(like that Mondeo/Contour) that dependent even on the fixed glass for total rigidity??

Short answer, yes. That's why pretty much all recently built cars use glued-in glass rather than the old style rope-in gaskets. It's not because they're deliberately trying to make it more difficult for a DIYer, that's just a side effect.
Old April 20th 14, 03:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Steve W. wrote: "cut-aways to companies who then installed regular cargo boxes and ambulance bodies as well as motorhome bodies on them, Many added framerails to the rear but there were quite a few that simply changed the "

Don't forget twinkie wagons!!
Old April 20th 14, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Roger Blake[_2_]

On 2014-04-17, Steve W. > wrote:
> Unibody has been in use far longer than a lot of people think.

The first as far as I know was Lancia in the early 1920s.

The first U.S. car companies to convert completely to unibody
construction were Hudson (1948) and Nash (1949). Nash previously
built a unibody model, the "600," in 1941, but the company's
other models at that time were still body-on-frame.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Old April 20th 14, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Steve W: "- show quoted text -
Yep, lot's of different delivery outfits used them. We had one for a
while. Handled about like a drunk elephant walking on marbles....

--
Steve W. "

The short bus?

BTW when are you filming in Stamford next?
Old April 22nd 14, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

http://cyberauctions.com/ItemPics/63074_1.jpg
>http://imganuncios.mitula.net/1992_g...1214204318.jpg

Well, the Lincoln was a "normal" car so I'd still call it the largest.
Also, didn't those Chevy vans use subframes in the front? Not so on
the Lincoln.

3 or 4 inch indent on unibody side of Kia Spectra before tailight [email protected] Technology 5 June 14th 07 10:43 PM
I hate unibody! Stupendous Man Jeep 6 October 10th 06 04:44 AM
Adapters for jack stands on unibody pinch welds? [email protected] Technology 5 March 1st 06 03:54 AM
Cracked VW unibody frame george Technology 11 February 23rd 06 04:39 PM
Chassis Rigidity [email protected] Simulators 15 July 27th 05 08:57 PM