'82 cj7 exhaust question

Old January 24th 05, 06:07 AM

Default '82 cj7 exhaust question

I have an 82 cj7 with the 258 that I need to do some exhaust work on,
but I am having problems finding parts.

I already picked up a catback kit from 4wd.com. Now looking for
everything in front of that (catalytic convertor and front pipe).

My current cat does not have the air tap on the side, but the
replacement parts I have found all say "81-86 w/ tap". If I get the
$15 air tube kit will these work?

Also I wanted to replace my front pipe at the same time while I am in
there (since they are only $50) but all the parts I can find say "83-86
cj7". is there something that makes my '82 much different from the '83
parts?

any suggested vendors? i'm looking for stock kind of stuff (not
interested in the $600 porcelain coated unobtainium models that will
shave a second off my 0-60 times).

Thanks!
Matthew

Old January 24th 05, 06:55 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/
Old January 24th 05, 05:29 PM
Jeff Strickland

Personally, I find exhaust systems to be bothersome. The bolts are ALWAYS
rusted, there is dirt and crap that falls into my eyes, the new stuff NEVER
fits right and I have to jerry-rig everything. I will never do my own
exhaust again, I just go to the neighborhood Mom & Pop Muffler. They will
custom make everything, and put it on straight. And, they are done in an
hour.

oups.com...

Old January 24th 05, 05:45 PM
Lee Ayrton

Hey, thanks for saying that, now I don't feel so sheepish about farming my
muffler work out. Yeah, I _could_ do it myself, laying on my back on the
cold floor while crap falls in my eyes, trying to make something that
*almost* fits work right, but these days I'm happy to pay someone else to
suffer for me.

--
"I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with
whips....r"

Old January 24th 05, 05:59 PM
Mike Romain

I totally agree! I gave up on exhausts years ago. Far far too much
work and when you farm it out you can get a lifetime warranty to boot.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 24th 05, 07:06 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Ditto.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 24th 05, 07:49 PM
DougW

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:
> Ditto.

Same here except for header work.

Ignorant question. Jeepers Jeep 9 January 15th 05 05:42 AM
Exhaust Hangers on 99.5 Golf Rob Guenther VW water cooled 10 December 26th 04 01:41 AM
Exhaust Manifold / Header question (1996 Accord EX) Chip Stein Honda 0 September 22nd 04 02:23 AM
Exhaust leak 2000 SL2 Eric Mark Saturn 3 June 9th 04 04:14 AM