1970's Range Rover Petrol Pump Cutting Out

Old August 31st 06, 12:11 PM posted to alt.fan.landrover,rec.autos.tech
Neil Brownlee

Default 1970's Range Rover Petrol Pump Cutting Out

The facet has a filter in the bottom. It can "stick" and cause the issue you
are having. I had this with a new pump

When you turn off the ignition, the filter drops...and fuel will flow again.
As far as I recall it unscrews. Check it and make sure it can rise and fall
smoothly....also make sure the pump is fitted pointing the right way......

--
Neil

Old August 31st 06, 06:37 PM posted to alt.fan.landrover,rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

I'm having a problem with the fuel supply to the engine. Basically the
engine will run fine until all of a sudden it stutters and stops. If i
turn the ignition off and on the pump clicks like mad and the engine
will restart immediately. It doesn't happen often, but the intervals
are not consistant, sometimes it can be a 5 minute gap, then sometimes
a 30 min gap.

I dont actually know how the fuel pump 'knows when to pump', and was
wondering if anyone can enlighten me. Does the pump have some sort of
mechanical pressure valve which turns it on and off at certain levels?

Thanks for any help.

Old August 31st 06, 09:20 PM posted to alt.fan.landrover,rec.autos.tech
m0bcg

check tank for any water in it , drain out into tray and let stand for
an hour , then check if any water .

i had similar problem to you , i had water in my tank .

filter is useless one water in it and wont pass petrol .

mine happened in winter and the water froze in the filter .

the 12v feed wire from pump can get trapped under the pad between body
and chassis , mine had this happen .

make sure pump body is very well earthed to the chassis .

these pumps do have habit of running and then stopping without any
warning , and even when you remove and checked them they may not play
up .

id fit a new fuel pump, cheap from paddocks at £34 + vat or richard
at beamends can supply same .

loosen fuel line fittings on pump before removing pump from vehicle ,
use a HEXAGON spanner that has a gap in end of it , ie a brake nut
spanner , or youll round the flats off the fuel pipe nuts !!!.
im not sure of the size of spanner, 7/16 or 1/2 AF i think .

there is a tank drain bung in bottom of tank , or at least my 1975 R/R
had one , you can jack vehicle up one side so tank drains all out fully
..

i think when you stop and the pump ticks madly, this is because its
pumping fuel flat out for some reason , perhaps because pump stopped
running whilst driving , or because of a bad wiring connection .

i think theres a bullet connector about 6 inches away from the pump ,
in the 12v wire which is the one running into the CAP in middle of
pump, this cap should undo and come away to show the solder connection
..

you might have a loose wire connection at the pump body .

fit a new pump, new fuel filter, drain tank and check for water .

dont forget that the fuel filter housing has the rubber ring in its top
and you need to make sure it seals all around the cup properly .

i dont think youre getting fuel vapour locks [cavitation ] , but this
can happen with unleaded fuel , it happens on some PFA light aircraft
that use MOGAS [motoring gas] and doesnt happen when they run AVGAS .

..

Old August 31st 06, 10:03 PM posted to alt.fan.landrover,rec.autos.tech
Martin Coombs

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm having a problem with the fuel supply to the engine. Basically the
> engine will run fine until all of a sudden it stutters and stops. If i
> turn the ignition off and on the pump clicks like mad and the engine
> will restart immediately. It doesn't happen often, but the intervals
> are not consistant, sometimes it can be a 5 minute gap, then sometimes
> a 30 min gap.
>
> I dont actually know how the fuel pump 'knows when to pump', and was
> wondering if anyone can enlighten me. Does the pump have some sort of
> mechanical pressure valve which turns it on and off at certain levels?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Mine had something similar, but on a later model. After three weeks of
checking relays and fuses etc. turned out to be the wire to the pump had
broken, but was touching most of the time until we went down a mud hole when
the mud obviously moved the cable and broke the joint, eventually the
sparking made the cable dirty and lost conection.
Worth checking the wire.

Old September 1st 06, 02:16 AM posted to alt.fan.landrover,rec.autos.tech
Lee_D

> uttered summat worrerz funny
about:
> I'm having a problem with the fuel supply to the engine. Basically
> the engine will run fine until all of a sudden it stutters and stops.
> If i turn the ignition off and on the pump clicks like mad and the
> engine will restart immediately. It doesn't happen often, but the
> intervals are not consistant, sometimes it can be a 5 minute gap,
> then sometimes a 30 min gap.
>
> I dont actually know how the fuel pump 'knows when to pump', and was
> wondering if anyone can enlighten me. Does the pump have some sort of
> mechanical pressure valve which turns it on and off at certain levels?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Good suggestions so far, do check though it's not sticking floats, though
I'd think from the detail you provide that this is not the case.

I think the pump on the early Rangie is the Facet extenal type? Check the
earth to it is good if so as well as the positive feed.

Other things to consider - fuel line rotted through and drawing air in
between the tank and pump... thus emptying the floats under load and
refilling once stalled and ignition on.. the pump will keep up for so long
until the float bowls empty. (Just a possibility).

Dad had a 1978 Classic Rangie in and out the garage numerous times, he was
told eventually that they removed some sort of filter from the end of the
fuel pickup that was getting munged up and gave a warning to not let the
fuel run as low as he would normally do due to the pipe now being shorter.
Never saw it myself as it was a garage job and I was a 'ickle lad then with
hair on my head too.

Let us know when you find the culprit.

Lee D

Old September 3rd 06, 01:31 PM posted to alt.fan.landrover,rec.autos.tech
Mike

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I've found the culprit: the
pump itself. Basically after checking the list of ideas below, I gave
the pump a good tap on the top to see what happened; it stopped,
another tap and it started again at full tilt. Bugger, should have hit
it to start with! I guess the solenoid is sticking or something.

1) I checked the fuel filter, cleaned the magnet etc,
2) Then cleared the inlet of dirt, and the oultlet just incase,
3) Then checked the earth and supply cables, both seemed fine,
4) I have to admit i didn't fancy draining the tank to look for water,
so i left that (pleased that i did now....),
5) I have recently had sticky floats and i cleared that up so didn't
check that again (also when that happens petrol pours out of the carb
breather),
6) I checked but couldn't hear any sucking noises as if air were being
drawn in along the supply line,

So has anybody got a good spare kicking about, or is somewhere like
paddocks my best bet?

On another note, I think my fuel system must have been modified because
i cant see any 'bleed' back to the tank, or i wander if that only
applys to the mechnical pumps?

Thanks again.

Old September 3rd 06, 01:43 PM posted to alt.fan.landrover,rec.autos.tech
Jeff[_14_]

> Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I've found the culprit: the
> pump itself. Basically after checking the list of ideas below, I gave
> the pump a good tap on the top to see what happened; it stopped,
> another tap and it started again at full tilt. Bugger, should have hit
> it to start with! I guess the solenoid is sticking or something.

If the pump is like the old SU type then it is probably the contacts that
close to power the solenoid. They are just like the points contacts in a
distributor, and get pitted and burnt. If you are lucky you will be able to
get the cover off and clean them up with a fine file or emery paper (if they
are not too badly burnt away).

Regards
Jeff

petrol prices Tom Alfa Romeo 5 June 2nd 04 09:45 PM
Range Rover 4x4 $2400 Ide 4x4 8 January 13th 04 02:52 PM
Range Rover for sale $2650 Ide 4x4 2 December 29th 03 06:42 PM