Oil change 2004 Vue

Old August 30th 04, 03:11 AM
John Sloan

Default Oil change 2004 Vue

I have 5K on my vue now and still no change oil light. I'm on the verge of
taking it to the Saturn store just to find out if the light is working.
Whats the normal milage for changing oil?
John

Old August 30th 04, 01:07 PM
Ron Herfurth

"John Sloan" > wrote in message
m...
> I have 5K on my vue now and still no change oil light. I'm on the verge

of
> taking it to the Saturn store just to find out if the light is working.
> Whats the normal milage for changing oil?
> John

I've never claimed to be normal but I do my first change at ~ 500 miles,
then every 3,000 miles. Is the change oil light activated by milage, a
clock, differential pressure, or something else?
ron
94 SL-1 103,000 miles

Old August 30th 04, 01:28 PM
Matt

I have a 2000 SL1 and the change oil light comes on between 4 and
5,000miles. It is determined by temperature you drive, speed, stop and
starting, dust, etc.

If in doubt change your oil (3,000 miles is usually a safe estimate).. I
usually do it ever 4,000.... I never go by the light...
Old August 30th 04, 01:36 PM
C. E. White

I have yet to have my Vue's oil change light turn on, even
after waiting past 6k a couple of times. No matter what it
should come on before 7.5k. I really do intend to wait for
the light, but for various reasons involving convenience, I
have always changed it before the light came on. I guess I
should purposely not reset it once, to see how long it would
go.

Ed

Old August 30th 04, 02:24 PM
C. E. White

Ron Herfurth wrote:

> "John Sloan" > wrote in message
> m...
> > I have 5K on my vue now and still no change oil light. I'm on the verge

> of
> > taking it to the Saturn store just to find out if the light is working.
> > Whats the normal milage for changing oil?
> > John
> >

> I've never claimed to be normal but I do my first change at ~ 500 miles,
> then every 3,000 miles. Is the change oil light activated by milage, a
> clock, differential pressure, or something else?
> ron
> 94 SL-1 103,000 miles

Something else -

See
http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/ima...4e.html#story6
..

Ed
Old August 30th 04, 02:29 PM
C. E. White

Matt wrote:

> I have a 2000 SL1 and the change oil light comes on between 4 and
> 5,000miles. It is determined by temperature you drive, speed, stop and
> starting, dust, etc.
>
> If in doubt change your oil (3,000 miles is usually a safe estimate).. I
> usually do it ever 4,000.... I never go by the light...

Why not? I persoanlly think the light is a great idea. 3,000
or 4,000 mile oil changes are just wasting resources (and
more importantly your money). When I purchased my Vue, the
salesman told me about the light, but then told me I should
change the oil every 3,000 miles no matter what the light
said. I posted this story to this newsgroup. A GM engineer
actaully contacted me offline to ask me the name of the
salesman and to tell me the light was a well researched and
good indication of the proper time to change the oil. I
really do intend to use the light as an indicator of when to
change the oil - although I've never actually waited quite
long enough to have the light come on (convneience issues
ahve always made me change the oil before the light came
on).

Ed
Old August 30th 04, 05:15 PM
Don Berkley

I did my own oil change at about 4K miles. It was, by far, the
easiest oil change I ever did. I did not have to jack up the Vue
because it has good ground clearance. The oil filter cartridge
design and placement made it very easy to change the filter without
dropping any oil anywhere. I was/am impressed, especially when
comparing it to my previous vehicle (2000 Ford Ranger 3.0 V6),
for which you had to be a contortionist to change the filter. Oh, BTW,
my Vue IS a 4 cyl.
Don

Old August 30th 04, 05:34 PM
Blah Blah

In article >,
says...

> Matt wrote:
> >
> > I have a 2000 SL1 and the change oil light comes on between 4 and
> > 5,000miles. It is determined by temperature you drive, speed, stop and
> > starting, dust, etc.
> >
> > If in doubt change your oil (3,000 miles is usually a safe estimate).. I
> > usually do it ever 4,000.... I never go by the light...

> Why not? I persoanlly think the light is a great idea. 3,000
> or 4,000 mile oil changes are just wasting resources (and
> more importantly your money). When I purchased my Vue, the
> salesman told me about the light, but then told me I should
> change the oil every 3,000 miles no matter what the light
> said. I posted this story to this newsgroup. A GM engineer
> actaully contacted me offline to ask me the name of the
> salesman and to tell me the light was a well researched and
> good indication of the proper time to change the oil. I
> really do intend to use the light as an indicator of when to
> change the oil - although I've never actually waited quite
> long enough to have the light come on (convneience issues
> ahve always made me change the oil before the light came
> on).
>
> Ed

The problem with that light is it doesnt take into account a new engine
needs "break in" time nor does it know if you are using synthetic or
conventional or 5w20 or 10w40 nor does it know if your filter is being
bypassed. It also doesnt take into account that the longer you run your
oil the more your oil bakes onto and varnishes your engine. If I pull a
dipstick or oil cap on a engine with 6k mile oil change intervals, I'll
know. The longer you run without changing the oil the greater the chance
of a problem not being caught in time as well. Lord knows people dont
know howto pop their hoods these days and look things over.

Old August 30th 04, 06:47 PM
C. E. White

Blah Blah wrote:

> The problem with that light is it doesnt take into account a new engine
> needs "break in" time nor does it know if you are using synthetic or
> conventional or 5w20 or 10w40 nor does it know if your filter is being
> bypassed. It also doesnt take into account that the longer you run your
> oil the more your oil bakes onto and varnishes your engine. If I pull a
> dipstick or oil cap on a engine with 6k mile oil change intervals, I'll
> know. The longer you run without changing the oil the greater the chance
> of a problem not being caught in time as well. Lord knows people dont
> know howto pop their hoods these days and look things over.

The "light" assumes 5W30 oil that meets the requirments set
forth in the owner's guide. GM has no special break-in
requirements listed in the manual. I have no idea how you
would know if the filter is being bypassed. I changed the
oil in my Vue at around 1k miles (old habits die hard), but
have not changed it since at less than 6k intrvals (and I
still have not tiggered the light - I did reset it after
each change per the instructions). I do check the oil
regularrly. I have seen no evidence of scum or varnish or
any other oil related problems. In fact, the oil in my Vue
looks bettter after 6000 miles, than the oil in my old
Toyota looked after 100 miles. 3000 mile oil changes belong
to the past when cars and oils weren't as good. American are
literally wasting millions of dollars on unecessary oil
changes becasue of old guy thinking. I know it is hard to
break the 3000 mile oil change addiciton, but try hard. My
Sister has a Honda. It also has an oil change indicator -
but it is merely odometer driven with no compensation for
cold or hot running or the number of starts. She never
changes the oil before the indicator turns red (7500 miles).
The car now has over 100k miles and is almost 8 years old.
The paint is falling off the bumpers, the interior looks
like crap, but the engine runs like a clock, uses no oil,
and pull like new. Exacly how much better off would she be
if she had spent an extra $400 or so on oil changes?

Ed

Oil puddle from 2004 BMW 330i GB BMW 11 January 17th 05 06:23 PM
2004 JGC Oil Viscosity Neil Jeep 1 January 10th 05 03:50 PM
Cost of 2004 CR-V, EX, Auto Harvey Cohen Honda 3 September 30th 04 01:09 AM
2004 VUE V6 AWD - looking for oil change help jjp Saturn 1 June 21st 04 04:24 AM
2004 Saturn Vue V6 is awsome! Ken R Saturn 9 May 20th 04 03:47 AM