2002 Miata SE Paint Problems

Old November 8th 04, 05:03 AM
David G. Nicholls, P.Eng., P.E.

Default 2002 Miata SE Paint Problems

Good day,

I had such good luck with a question here before, I am back hoping for some
more help.

My 2002 Miata SE (blazing yellow mica) was bumped in a parking lot but shows
no real damage. However a "piece" of paint approximately 1 inch by four
inches has come off the bumper cap - right down to the base plastic of the
front clip. From another recent minor paint repair that was totally
unsatisfactory, I am reluctant to get this fixed as the colour was not
successfully matched on the previous minor repair. Apparently the pearl in
the overcoat tends to darken the finish if applied over the exiting finish.

As it is, in certain lights, the car's plastic parts (front and rear clips
and the door handles, mirrors) are definitely a slightly different shade of
yellow. The other minor repair entailed a small gash in the vinyl stone
guard on the lower side just behind the front wheel opening. The shop I
took the car to (who claimed they had experience and expertise with this
colour) added colour to the gash and then sprayed the pearl over it. This
small piece of the paint work now is obviously darker than the rest of the
car. As such I am reluctant to get this front piece fixed as the car will
then be about five shades of yellow. Another paint shop told me to have the
Mazda rep look at it before they quote on trying to fix it - kind of makes
you wonder if something is up.

My question is: has anyone else had horror stories with this year and paint
specification and has Mazda done anything about it? Kind of a pity to have a
car that one takes some pride in looking like a reject from a cheap body
shop. Seems to me Mazda had some serious paint durability issues with the
1993 - 95 RX-7 also.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dave N

--
Regards,

David Nicholls

Old November 8th 04, 07:48 PM
John W

"David G. Nicholls, P.Eng., P.E." > wrote in message

> As it is, in certain lights, the car's plastic parts (front and rear clips
> and the door handles, mirrors) are definitely a slightly different shade
> of yellow. > Regards,
>
> Dave N
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> David Nicholls

I have the same issue with a Racing Green 2003, and wonder if it just the
effect of the paint. The front looks different in certain lights to the rest
of the car, and the doors also appear a different shade. But if you try to
show anyone, the light has changed and the parts look identical.

John
2003 1.8Sport

2002 330xi AM radio problems JDM BMW 0 January 16th 05 02:26 AM
Need help with 2002 Passat GLX problems Kagan Gokbayrak VW water cooled 6 December 2nd 04 08:08 PM
2002 Miata Clutch David G. Nicholls, P.Eng., P.E. Mazda 3 October 14th 04 09:28 AM
paint chips & touchup paint (brush on vs. aerosol) Joe Blo General 9 September 22nd 04 03:40 PM