(OT) Newgroups to fade away?

Old January 31st 05, 11:35 PM
TNKEV

http://www.patik.com/guides/usenet
This ai a guide that will help though I dont use thunderbird,I use outlook
express,OE is probably already on your pc,the guide is very simple.

Old February 2nd 05, 01:29 AM
Bill Putney

TNKEV wrote:

> http://www.patik.com/guides/usenet
> This ai a guide that will help though I dont use thunderbird,I use outlook
> express,OE is probably already on your pc,the guide is very simple.

Coincidentally I do use T-bird, but, as they point out, any e-mail
browser will work.

I am always skeptical of free net services - what's
news.individual.net's incentive for doing this? How do they make money?
Do they sell my info. to spammers, plant malware, or do other
undesireable things? Otherwise, looks promising.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old February 4th 05, 12:38 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Thanks MoPar for following that up. I did see that news item a while ago
and decided to do nothing until I am forced to. My main contention, that
Pipex is committed to usenet, is valid. The developments just mean that I
might wind up paying. Maybe my monthly download does not exceed the free
base amount.

I am not sure what the current server problems are, but I do sometimes not
see my posts, only reading them in somebody's reply. However, I have seen
other people reporting this, even though they are not on Pipex. Since I
switched to the text-based server a while ago I get the new stuff downloaded
pretty quickly.

Pipex is still getting over the old business relationship within MCI. For
example, the domain name registration service is still ridiculously
expensive, going via an old MCI division in the US. However, Pipex recently
bought a large local company and when I come to renew I'll probably go via
that, saving maybe 50% or 75% on present costs.

FYI Pipex was started here in the UK. It was taken over by UUNet, which
ultimately became part of MCI Worldcom. The Pipex brand name was used for
certain services throughout this period and now the company is back to
calling itself Pipex, even though the (newish) parent has/had another name.
Pipex is itself on the acquisition trail... blah blah blah...

DAS
---

Old February 14th 05, 11:13 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article >, says...

>My ISP is small. They contract a 3rd party for the newgroups. They've
>been thru 3 or 4 in the last year because the ones they try out have
>been lousy. From what they tell me, very, very few of their subscribers
>use or care about newsgroups, and I get the feeling that their
>maintaining that capability is a PITA for them - they only keep it to
>keep from losing a handful of customers.
>
>They even told me that AOL dropped neswgroup capabilities recently. I
>commented back that that seemed more a reflection of AOL than on the
>viability of NG's. They also said that other ISP's are telling them
>that they dropped NG's long ago.
>
>Can anyone add to this info.? Will NG's fade away in the
>not-too-distant future? What are my options for stand-alone NG read and
>post capability (besides Google)? I like using the E-mail browser for NG's.
>
>Thanks for any suggestions.

No, newsgroups won't fade away. One reason is that some websites have set up
web front ends for newsgroups that new users find easier to use. That means
that you can use a web browser to read newsgroups. This gives the ISP the
false impression that newsgroups are no longer being used, when they are still
being used. They are just being used with a different tool. I don't like the
browser interface and the fact that using a browser is much slower than using a
newsreader.
--------------
Alex

Old February 15th 05, 01:17 AM
Bill Putney

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> In article >, says...
>

>>My ISP is small. They contract a 3rd party for the newgroups. They've
>>been thru 3 or 4 in the last year because the ones they try out have
>>been lousy. From what they tell me, very, very few of their subscribers
>>use or care about newsgroups, and I get the feeling that their
>>maintaining that capability is a PITA for them - they only keep it to
>>keep from losing a handful of customers.
>>
>>They even told me that AOL dropped neswgroup capabilities recently. I
>>commented back that that seemed more a reflection of AOL than on the
>>viability of NG's. They also said that other ISP's are telling them
>>that they dropped NG's long ago.
>>
>>Can anyone add to this info.? Will NG's fade away in the
>>not-too-distant future? What are my options for stand-alone NG read and
>>post capability (besides Google)? I like using the E-mail browser for NG's.
>>
>>Thanks for any suggestions.

> No, newsgroups won't fade away. One reason is that some websites have set up
> web front ends for newsgroups that new users find easier to use. That means
> that you can use a web browser to read newsgroups. This gives the ISP the
> false impression that newsgroups are no longer being used, when they are still
> being used. They are just being used with a different tool. I don't like the
> browser interface and the fact that using a browser is much slower than using a
> newsreader.

Yes - being left with only a web browser option concerned me. If it
came to that, I would probably just forego ng's.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old February 17th 05, 11:44 PM
Cashew

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:07:02 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
> wrote:

>http://news.individual.net/
>
>"Registration and use of this NetNews service are free of charge. This
>server is operated by the computer center of Freie Universität Berlin,
>Germany."

Yeah - they are good, BUT they just announced that as of 4/1/05 (or
should I say 1/4/05 since they are in Europe?)

Anyway, starting in April it's gonna cost 10 euros - I can't remember
if that's annually or a 1-time fee.

Either way, I don't have any euros in my wallet, nor am I gonna pay
for what's always been free.

Brake Pedal Fade DavidB Honda 3 December 28th 04 07:21 AM
Brake fade HQJ Technology 0 December 10th 04 01:25 PM
Do They Just Burn Out, Or Do They Fade Away? Patrick Ford Mustang 9 December 5th 04 05:25 AM
What could cause a roundel to fade overnight? David Haqeman BMW 24 November 15th 04 08:38 PM