Ignition dead

Old April 28th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Ignition dead

I went out to start my '69 Bug for the first time in 4 years, today. Cranks
over fine, but no fire to plugs.
Unfortunately, mice made a nest at the fuse panel area under the hood and
the urine has eaten up some of the wire terminals.
My question is, does power to the coil go thru the fuse box? The schematic
in my Bently manual is difficult (for me) to understand and I need to know
the path from the battery to the coil. Can anyone help me?

Dave

Old April 28th 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

the power comes from fuse 1
http://66.34.72.138/index.html

this should help you

Mario
Vintage Werks Restorations

Old April 28th 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Old April 28th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Hairy wrote:
> I went out to start my '69 Bug for the first time in 4 years, today. Cranks
> over fine, but no fire to plugs.
> Unfortunately, mice made a nest at the fuse panel area under the hood and
> the urine has eaten up some of the wire terminals.
> My question is, does power to the coil go thru the fuse box? The schematic
> in my Bently manual is difficult (for me) to understand and I need to know
> the path from the battery to the coil. Can anyone help me?
>
> Dave

Yeah, those mice will do a job on it!

Although the Coil feed connects at the fuse block,
power does not actually go *thru* any fuse.
The fuse terminals were merely a convenient place
for the factory to make the connection.

The wiring looks like this (fuse block terminal not shown):
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/ignition.gif

Follow the Blk wire from the switch to fuse block.
Then you'll see the Blk wire that goes into the Main harness
from that point.

Use a tester/voltmeter to confirm that there is 12V on
each end of the Blk wire(s).

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/