2009 Audi A4 ?

Old November 29th 08, 02:43 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Bill T

Default 2009 Audi A4 ?

Going through Audi's "Build your own" website, I notice that only
quattros are available. Is this true - that at present only the 4WD
version is available in the US?

Also, is there a chance that the DSG transmission will make into the A4
in 2009?

Thanks.

Old November 29th 08, 03:25 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 18:43:50 -0800, Bill T > wrote:

>Going through Audi's "Build your own" website, I notice that only
>quattros are available. Is this true - that at present only the 4WD
>version is available in the US?

Why would you want anything *but* Quattro?

Dave
RS6

Old November 29th 08, 10:24 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
laurentien

Quattros are valuable only if your drive in difficult weather
conditions such as encountered in cities like Montreal or Grenoble but
in sunnier countries they just cost more fuel.

Quattro technology was developped for that famous Audi rally racing
car the Audi Quattro Coupe which was then needed to be sold in order
to have the right to participate in the World Cup Rallyes where they
dominated the scene for quite a while.

Apart from that, a good FWD on a car such as a simple Audi 80 is just
more then enough. I cannot even get my car of the road and I can
handle roundabouts at very high speeds even in wet conditions. These
cars achieved unparalled levels of road holding which cannot even be
matched by a sporty Celica or the like (race that I did in the Alps
recently where this guy with his Celica could not follow me in the
curves).

LHR

Old November 29th 08, 03:13 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Bill[_7_]

A Quattro would have passed you.
Come on, a Celica?
It doesn't rain where you live?

Old November 29th 08, 03:41 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave LaCourse

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 02:24:14 -0800 (PST), laurentien
> wrote:

>Quattros are valuable only if your drive in difficult weather
>conditions such as encountered in cities like Montreal or Grenoble but
>in sunnier countries they just cost more fuel.
>
>Quattro technology was developped for that famous Audi rally racing
>car the Audi Quattro Coupe which was then needed to be sold in order
>to have the right to participate in the World Cup Rallyes where they
>dominated the scene for quite a while.
>
>Apart from that, a good FWD on a car such as a simple Audi 80 is just
>more then enough. I cannot even get my car of the road and I can
>handle roundabouts at very high speeds even in wet conditions. These
>cars achieved unparalled levels of road holding which cannot even be
>matched by a sporty Celica or the like (race that I did in the Alps
>recently where this guy with his Celica could not follow me in the
>curves).

I've been driving for 55 years. I've been driving Quattros for 23
years. I've driven rear wheel, front wheel, all wheel, and four wheel
drive cars. I taught high performance driving to cops for ten years
before I had to quit because of health problems. Nothing, *nothing*
compares to Quattro. If you've ever driven one in the rain (it does
rain where you are?), you would know the difference. When I say my
RS6 can go zero to sixty in about 4.5 seconds, that includes dry AND
wet pavement, and it is just a few ticks off in the snow. Stomp on a
front wheel drive or rear wheel drive when the pavement is wet and you
get lots of wheel spin. The same if there is snow on the ground.
While Quattro does tend to understeer, it is nothing compared to a
front wheel drive care.

My wife and I used to work the pro rally circuit in the States, namely
the Maine Winter Rally. Our job was to run each stage from
beginning to end and make sure nothing was wrong. We drove a 1990
Turbo-Quattro wagon. At times we drove several miles over logging
roads with a foot of snow on the ground. Most of the cars entered
were awd cars, with a few fwd and rwd. The awd cars *always* had
faster times whether it was in snow or dry. Quattro rules!

BTW, "sporty Celica" is an oxymoron.

If you are going to buy an Audi, Quattro is the ONLY way to go,
especially if it rains (or snows) where you live.

Dave
RS6

Old November 29th 08, 04:33 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
David Skelton

"Bill" > wrote in message
>A Quattro would have passed you.
> Come on, a Celica?
> It doesn't rain where you live?
>
> (race that I did in the Alps
> recently where this guy with his Celica could not follow me in the
> curves).

Surely that would depend on which Celica. Some were front wheel drive,
others rear wheel drive ( which do not grip well in the wet) and some were 4
wheel drive (GT-4).
I suppose it also depends on the driver and the conditions.

Best regards

David

Old November 29th 08, 09:34 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 22:25:58 -0500, Dave LaCourse
> wrote:

>Why would you want anything *but* Quattro?

- Because you might want to pay less and still drive a VERY solid nice
car
- Because you're ready to accept that the FWD is not as good as the
Quattro in less than perfect conditions but the car still handles WAY
better than most other cars.
- Because you wan't manual gear box and only two of the 7 quattro
models feature that here while 4 of the 10 FWD models do.

Fact is: Already the FWD Audi is a VERY good car and at least over
here is around 5000 Euros less than the quattro. That's a lot of
money.

Regards

Wolfgang
Old November 29th 08, 10:56 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Bill T

On 11/29/2008 13:34, Wolfgang Pawlinetz wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 22:25:58 -0500, Dave LaCourse
> > wrote:
>
>> Why would you want anything *but* Quattro?

> - Because you might want to pay less and still drive a VERY solid nice
> car
> - Because you're ready to accept that the FWD is not as good as the
> Quattro in less than perfect conditions but the car still handles WAY
> better than most other cars.
> - Because you wan't manual gear box and only two of the 7 quattro
> models feature that here while 4 of the 10 FWD models do.
>
> Fact is: Already the FWD Audi is a VERY good car and at least over
> here is around 5000 Euros less than the quattro. That's a lot of
> money.

I agree. I have an A3 now and I'm happy with the front-wheel drive. It
doesn't snow here, and rainfall is moderate.

Anyways, my googling seems to indicate that the 2009 FWD A4's will hit
the US market in December - January.

I still would like to see the DSG on the A4 though. The DSG on my
current 2006 A3 is the best transmission I have ever used.

Bill
Old November 29th 08, 11:41 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave LaCourse

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 22:34:21 +0100, Wolfgang Pawlinetz
> wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 22:25:58 -0500, Dave LaCourse
> wrote:
>
>>Why would you want anything *but* Quattro?

>- Because you might want to pay less and still drive a VERY solid nice
>car

True, but for a few dollars more.....

>- Because you're ready to accept that the FWD is not as good as the
>Quattro in less than perfect conditions but the car still handles WAY
>better than most other cars.

It's not as good as the Q in just about any condition and it is still
a fwd.

>- Because you wan't manual gear box and only two of the 7 quattro
>models feature that here while 4 of the 10 FWD models do.

Buy the one with whichever gear box you desire. I drove the R8 at
Pocono Raceway and the auto was far better than the stick.

>Fact is: Already the FWD Audi is a VERY good car and at least over
>here is around 5000 Euros less than the quattro. That's a lot of
>money.

Like I said, for a few dollars more....... In for a penny - in for a
pound. Buy the Q and have everything you would ever need.

Dave
RS6

Old November 30th 08, 12:01 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 18:41:53 -0500, Dave LaCourse
> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 22:34:21 +0100, Wolfgang Pawlinetz
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 22:25:58 -0500, Dave LaCourse
> wrote:
>>
>>>Why would you want anything *but* Quattro?

>>- Because you might want to pay less and still drive a VERY solid nice
>>car

>True, but for a few dollars more.....

Oh well, 6k$ is not a few for most people.

>>- Because you're ready to accept that the FWD is not as good as the
>>Quattro in less than perfect conditions but the car still handles WAY
>>better than most other cars.

>It's not as good as the Q in just about any condition and it is still
>a fwd.

Yep. No problem with that.

>>- Because you wan't manual gear box and only two of the 7 quattro
>>models feature that here while 4 of the 10 FWD models do.

>Buy the one with whichever gear box you desire. I drove the R8 at
>Pocono Raceway and the auto was far better than the stick.

We're not talking bout raceways all the time, are we? I've been to
racetracks regularly with my motorcycle and at least with that there's
a HUGE difference between road and track.

And: The Auto is ANOTHER 3-4k$ on top here. So we're talking 'bout a
price difference of 9 to 10 k$. And that's around 20% here.

>Like I said, for a few dollars more....... In for a penny - in for a
>pound. Buy the Q and have everything you would ever need.

Dave, I respect you're experience and opinion, but I will have to
refuse the implication that people not buying a Q for their own
reasons are cheapskates or making false decisions.

For the record: I don't doubt that the Q is better than the FWD, but
the F is by any means still an extremely good car.

Regards

W.