1985 bmw 325e

Old August 18th 06, 06:33 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

Default 1985 bmw 325e

I have an 85 325e, when accelerating the car seems to accelerate
sluggishly. I push the pedal all the way to the floor and some times it
will accelerate ok.

I thought maybe gas. I changed the fuel filter and the spark plugs. No
change. I'm thinking now I need a manual to try and figure out the
problem.

Help, I hope the motors not gone. It's strong when it is running, but
now it seems to have no power sometimes.

Old August 18th 06, 06:42 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Richard Sexton

In article .com>,
> wrote:
>I have an 85 325e, when accelerating the car seems to accelerate
>sluggishly. I push the pedal all the way to the floor and some times it
>will accelerate ok.
>
>I thought maybe gas. I changed the fuel filter and the spark plugs. No
>change. I'm thinking now I need a manual to try and figure out the
>problem.
>
>Help, I hope the motors not gone. It's strong when it is running, but
>now it seems to have no power sometimes.

Fuel pump(s) ?

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old August 18th 06, 05:18 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Richard Sexton

In article .com>,
> wrote:
>Richard why would you say fuel pumps, wouldn't the car not start or
>just die out?

That's one failure mode but one pump can be dead and the other marginal
and *can* produce symptoms exacly like this. The fact that it works
normally some of the time is what gives me the idea that this could
be it.

Worth checking at any rate.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old August 18th 06, 08:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
SharkmanBMW![_2_]

ditto

Old August 19th 06, 02:05 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

Do you know where both pumps are?, I know theres on in the rear of the
car.

Also driving it today, the muffler seems clogged or something, as if
the pressure is being restricted. Could it be the muffler?

Old August 19th 06, 04:28 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Richard Sexton

In article . com>,
> wrote:
>Do you know where both pumps are?, I know theres on in the rear of the
>car.

I know where they are on my car but it's not the same as yours. Or
maybe it is, I don't know.

>the pressure is being restricted. Could it be the muffler?

Could be a clogged cat. But that probably won't give you those
symptoms as it's a steady state not intermittant failure. That is
if it's clogged it's always clogged, not clogged one moment and free
the next.

You should be able to *hear* both pumps working at least you can on
my car. Silence, in this case, is *not* golden.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old August 19th 06, 10:22 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Burns

> I have an 85 325e, when accelerating the car seems to accelerate
> sluggishly. I push the pedal all the way to the floor and some times it
> will accelerate ok.

I'd try a new rotor arm and check the distributor cap. When they're
badly worn I've seen this fault.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price
Old August 19th 06, 06:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Psycho

That would be my car. The rotor was almost completely gone, the
posts inside the cap were all bent out of place...

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 06:40:01 GMT, Bob >