Why did my Pickup go 'Haywire' after new Battery Installation.

Old December 15th 04, 08:51 AM
Vic Martinez

Default Why did my Pickup go 'Haywire' after new Battery Installation.

Help! I Had a 'Diehard' Battery installed last night in my 98' Ford
Ranger automatic, however, when I started to drive off after service was
completed and paid for, my truck wouldn't get out of first 'gear', my
'o/d' (overdrive) light started flashing off and on for a short period,
there was definite hesitation in acceleration, and my speedometer
stopped working as well as my interior light when I tried to turn it on.
EVERYTHING was operating perfectly beforehand, and the 'Sears' guys
didn't seem to have a clue when I drove it back to question this
situation. Now my Truck hesitates big time like it's stuck in gear or
something, and I'm sure this was not a coincidence, WHAT HAPPENED???
Someone told me about 'codes' being reset or somthing......WHAT???

Old December 15th 04, 09:26 AM
aurgathor

Yup. The engine computer most likely forgot its
previous settings.

Old December 15th 04, 02:54 PM
Burt Squareman

"Vic Martinez" > wrote

> Help! I Had a 'Diehard' Battery installed last night in my 98' Ford
> Ranger automatic, however, when I started to drive off after service was
> completed and paid for, my truck wouldn't get out of first 'gear', my
> 'o/d' (overdrive) light started flashing off and on for a short period,
> there was definite hesitation in acceleration, and my speedometer
> stopped working as well as my interior light when I tried to turn it on.
> EVERYTHING was operating perfectly beforehand, and the 'Sears' guys
> didn't seem to have a clue when I drove it back to question this
> situation. Now my Truck hesitates big time like it's stuck in gear or
> something, and I'm sure this was not a coincidence, WHAT HAPPENED???
> Someone told me about 'codes' being reset or somthing......WHAT???

I had the same problem. Dirt and metal particles effected the
Hall-effect speed sensors. When the computer gets conflicting
information from these sensors it may first try to engage the
wheels but will shut the system down and flash the 4WD/4WD-
Lo or 'o/d' flashes to indicate the problem and refuse to upshift.
The system is also reset by disconnecting the battery.

BTW, the Service Manual is about $300. Just sold it at Ebay
so can't tell you how to un-reset it. It will help to cycle the key
of in between tapping on the speed sensor so the module will
reset and stop flashing the lights. Remember to use a nine-volt
battery and diode in place of the battery when swapping
batteries. Or a 16v 24,000-uF or higher capacitor will also
do for a quick swap.

--
Squareman

Old December 15th 04, 11:54 PM
William R. Watt

When the truck was new all the numbers in the computer were set to factory
standard. The computer is supposed to change the numbers as the truck ages
to compensate for some wear and still give peak efficiency and low
emissions. When you shut off the truck the battery keeps the memory alive,
just like the battery in your computer keeps the date and type of disk
drive alive in memory. But on a car if you disconnect the battery the
numbers are lost and get set back to the factory defaults which are burned
into special memory. Usually the manual says if you drive the car 20 miles
after reconnecting the battery the computer will build up new numbers
again and the engine will run smoothly. I don't know if that's still true
for all numbers on all cars.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old December 17th 04, 01:02 AM
sdlomi2

"Vic Martinez" > wrote in message
> Help! I Had a 'Diehard' Battery installed last night in my 98' Ford
> Ranger automatic, however, when I started to drive off after service was
> completed and paid for, my truck wouldn't get out of first 'gear', my
> 'o/d' (overdrive) light started flashing off and on for a short period,
> there was definite hesitation in acceleration, and my speedometer
> stopped working as well as my interior light when I tried to turn it on.
> EVERYTHING was operating perfectly beforehand, and the 'Sears' guys
> didn't seem to have a clue when I drove it back to question this
> situation. Now my Truck hesitates big time like it's stuck in gear or
> something, and I'm sure this was not a coincidence, WHAT HAPPENED???
> Someone told me about 'codes' being reset or somthing......WHAT???

Try what Watt says: just drive it a bit as you usually do. The computer
should soon "relearn" your driving habits & operate the vehicle correctly
once again. HTH & good luck. s

Battery replacement comments and questions Tom's VR6 VW water cooled 1 November 12th 04 07:12 PM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 11:54 PM
Dead Battery current leak Jeremy Saturn 3 July 1st 04 07:54 PM
Replacing Corroded Battery Cables for SL1 2000 Chris Gutierrez Saturn 2 June 28th 04 03:40 AM
Why Won't a Frozen Battery Start a Vehicle. Denny B General 1 January 30th 04 03:48 AM