niosy belt help

Old July 1st 04, 01:39 AM
Peter

Default niosy belt help

I own a 95 Saturn SL . The alternator was replaced 1 year ago recently I
have been getting loud squealing noise . I know that its the belt getting
lose. Where is the pulley located to adjust the tension on the Belt.

Peter

Old July 1st 04, 03:02 AM
James1549

>Where is the pulley located to adjust the tension on the Belt.

There is no way to adjust the tension. It is spring loaded to a predetermined
tension. The auto-tensioner is located just under the power steering pump. The
easiest way to replace the tensioner is to remove the right front wheel, remove
the plastic inner fender flap and it is right there.

Good luck, James
Old July 1st 04, 03:19 AM
richard hornsby

It is possible that, for example, the AC compressor clutch is going out.
Or the belt itself may simply need to be replaced.

Look near the front, passenger side under the AC compressor for the
tension markings. You should find the tensioner there. If the
alternator was replaced and the belt wasn't at the time or recently
before that, you may want to consider replacing the belt. Cheap and
pretty easy to do. Also not something you want to have fail if you
prefer not being stranded.

AFAIK, there is no "adjustment" of the tension; the tensioner is only
for removing and re-installing the drivebelt.

-rj
98SL2

Old July 1st 04, 04:17 PM
Barry Schnoor

If you're sure it's a loose belt causing the noise, it's likely your
tensioner...a spring-loaded pully down below your idler pully / power
steering / alternator.

If the 95 is like the 94, it's a pretty easy fix. Take off the passenger
wheel and the plastic spash guards (use care in removing the plastic "pins"
that hold the guards in place...they're several bucks each if you have to go
to saturn for them.

The tensioner is held in place with two bolts. You need nimble fingers, but
it's not hard. Maybe $50 for the part. Replace the belt while you're at
it....about $16.

Now, there are a number of things running on this belt...the tensioner
pully, the idler pully, A/C, Pwr steering, alternator, water pump. You can
get a squeal out of any of the pullies on any of this equipt. I replaced my
tensioner which wasn't necessary...since the noise I was hearing was a bad
bearing in my idler pully...only $21. But after 160Kmiles, I thought it
wasn't a bad repair.

but if you're sure it's a loose belt, then the tensioner is the likely
culprit. You can't adjust it. It comes spring loaded.

Good luck

Barry in C'Ville

Old July 1st 04, 09:26 PM
Tim Shoppa

"Peter" > wrote in message >...
> I own a 95 Saturn SL . The alternator was replaced 1 year ago recently I
> have been getting loud squealing noise . I know that its the belt getting
> lose. Where is the pulley located to adjust the tension on the Belt.

There's an idler pulley and a tensioner pulley. The tensioner provides
the tension to the belt and isn't really adjustable.

A metal-on-metal squealing sound at low RPM's
is probably the bearings going bad in
either the idler or tensioner. They failed about 3 months apart on my
wife's 92 SL1. You may as well do both at the same time.

Idler was around $40, Tensioner was $140, just for the parts. Unbelievably
high dealer prices. Some here have replaced just the bearings and saved
big bucks.

Tim.
Old July 2nd 04, 03:49 AM
BANDIT2941

>Idler was around $40, Tensioner was $140, just for the parts. Unbelievably
>high dealer prices. Some here have replaced just the bearings and saved
>big bucks.

Ouch that hurts. Tensioner was around $45 or $50 at advance auto when I did
mine a couple years ago......