cap or fuel filter?

Old June 16th 05, 12:18 AM
randy pape

Default cap or fuel filter?

hello, it seems if my 1998 dodge stratus sits for a few days it starts hard
and misses for a while then when it finally warms up it runs great. also i
noticed when it's damp it starts and acts the same until it's run a while.
i changed the plugs, cap & rotor 16,000 miles ago. could this be a bad cap
or partilly plugged fuel filter,which is the original with 116,000miles?any
ideas? thank

Old June 16th 05, 12:57 AM
Bob Shuman

First, change the fuel filter ... at 116K, it should have been done several
times now. Not changing it is now causing the fuel pump to work harder and
may lead to premature failure.

Second, on the hard starts, I'd suggest looking at the fuel injectors as
another possible problem causing the hard starting. If it runs really rough
after starting it may indicate a leaky injector. If it just takes time,
then it could be the check valve in the pump.

Lastly, I'd also suggest a good throttle body and air intake/throttle
position sensor cleaning. Ignition wires are likely also reaching their
life as well.

Bob

PS I have not seen a distributor cap or rotor on a Chrysler in about 14 or
15 years. I'm surprised your 1998 vehicle still has these.
ink.net...

Old June 16th 05, 01:11 AM
maxpower

"randy pape" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> hello, it seems if my 1998 dodge stratus sits for a few days it starts

hard
> and misses for a while then when it finally warms up it runs great. also i
> noticed when it's damp it starts and acts the same until it's run a while.
> i changed the plugs, cap & rotor 16,000 miles ago. could this be a bad cap
> or partilly plugged fuel filter,which is the original with

116,000miles?any
> ideas? thank

Cap and rotor on a stratus?.. Since when?

Old June 16th 05, 01:17 AM
maxpower

"maxpower" > wrote in message

> "randy pape" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > hello, it seems if my 1998 dodge stratus sits for a few days it starts

> hard
> > and misses for a while then when it finally warms up it runs great. also

> > noticed when it's damp it starts and acts the same until it's run a

while.
> > i changed the plugs, cap & rotor 16,000 miles ago. could this be a bad

cap
> > or partilly plugged fuel filter,which is the original with

> 116,000miles?any
> > ideas? thank

Damn brain fart again. I would check the plug wires, The fact that it acts
up when damp or wet outside is a clue to having weak wires, The cap and
rotor is a pain to install but the wires are a real pain

Old June 16th 05, 03:46 AM
tim bur

2.5 v6 common engine in them and it has a dist cap and rotor

Old June 16th 05, 08:04 PM
maxpower

"tim bur" > wrote in message
> 2.5 v6 common engine in them and it has a dist cap and rotor
>
> maxpower wrote:
>
> > "randy pape" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...
> > > hello, it seems if my 1998 dodge stratus sits for a few days it starts

> > hard
> > > and misses for a while then when it finally warms up it runs great.

also i
> > > noticed when it's damp it starts and acts the same until it's run a

while.
> > > i changed the plugs, cap & rotor 16,000 miles ago. could this be a bad

cap
> > > or partilly plugged fuel filter,which is the original with

> > 116,000miles?any
> > > ideas? thank
> > >

> > Cap and rotor on a stratus?.. Since when?

As I said, A brain fart...Bill is this considered a typo?

Old June 16th 05, 10:34 PM
randy pape

thanks for the replies guy's. i did put new plugs , wires, cap and rotor at
116,000 and yes it really is a major pain to do. i gues i can ohm check the
wires and is there any other way to check them seeing it only does this when
it's damp?