Stalls after fixed time - second go 'round

Old June 14th 05, 03:36 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Winston wrote:

> Is that a throttle body or carburated engine?
> Or does it have per-cylinder injectors?

It's a 1992 Acclaim 4-cylinder, as the guy originally posted. That means
it's a TBI engine. (Carbureted? In 1992? C'mon.)

Old June 14th 05, 09:26 PM
Tom Del Rosso

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
.umich.edu...
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
>
> > $268.90 fuel pump
> > $32.70 filter
> > $210 labor (drop the tank, etc)
> > $45 tow

> H'mm...nothing too terribly grossly out of line here, I don't suppose. I
> might quibble with $210 worth of labor, but I don't have a flat-rate book
> in front of me and I don't know your guy's labor rate, either.

$70 or $75 is the norm around New York City.

> > $78.90 Hall effect sensor:
> > $75 labor

> TILT. That is a $30 to $40 part that takes all of 10 minutes to install.
> Let's assume he's really slow and give him 30 minutes. That makes his
> labor rate about $157/hr. Bzzt.

I don't know about the part, but he will refund the $210 since it wasn't the
problem. The time (1 hour apparently) was spent road testing and searching
for an intermittent problem. There is probably a minimum 1 hour charge too.

> > Before the new pump, he said there was no fuel pressure.

> Exactly my point. There are lots of reasons why there might be no fuel
> pressure. It points to a problem with the fuel pump *or its extensive
> control circuit which includes several relays, a great deal of wire, a
> control computer and several switches and sensors* or the fuel pressure
> regulator.

The thing is, though, he measured 12 volts at the pump, and no pressure (not
sure where it was measured). Doesn't that rule out most things? I still
wonder if the pick-up or the line could be blocked.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add
2 more zeros and remove the obvious.

Old June 15th 05, 05:46 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Tom Del Rosso wrote:

> The thing is, though, he measured 12 volts at the pump, and no pressure
> (not sure where it was measured). Doesn't that rule out most things?

Nope. A faulty connection, faulty relay, faulty wire or faulty ground
could allow 12v at the tiny current needed to cause "12.0" to appear on a
voltmeter's display, while being sufficiently resistive to block the much
higher current needed to start and run the pump reliably.

Old June 15th 05, 10:26 PM
Joe Pfeiffer

"Daniel J. Stern" > writes:

> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
>
> > The thing is, though, he measured 12 volts at the pump, and no pressure
> > (not sure where it was measured). Doesn't that rule out most things?

> Nope. A faulty connection, faulty relay, faulty wire or faulty ground
> could allow 12v at the tiny current needed to cause "12.0" to appear on a
> voltmeter's display, while being sufficiently resistive to block the much
> higher current needed to start and run the pump reliably.

Not likely. In order to show 12V across the pump, you'd have to be
supplying enough current to create that kind of drop. So you're
looking at the pump, the connection at the pump, or the pickup, or
something like that.
skype: jjpfeifferjr
Old June 15th 05, 11:31 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

> > A faulty connection, faulty relay, faulty wire or faulty ground could
> > allow 12v at the tiny current needed to cause "12.0" to appear on a
> > voltmeter's display, while being sufficiently resistive to block the
> > much higher current needed to start and run the pump reliably.

> Not likely. In order to show 12V across the pump, you'd have to be
> supplying enough current to create that kind of drop.

But we don't know whether the tech checked for 12v across the pump, or
just across the (removed) pump feed wire.
Old June 16th 05, 12:12 AM
Joe Pfeiffer

"Daniel J. Stern" > writes:

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
>
> > > A faulty connection, faulty relay, faulty wire or faulty ground could
> > > allow 12v at the tiny current needed to cause "12.0" to appear on a
> > > voltmeter's display, while being sufficiently resistive to block the
> > > much higher current needed to start and run the pump reliably.

> > Not likely. In order to show 12V across the pump, you'd have to be
> > supplying enough current to create that kind of drop.

> But we don't know whether the tech checked for 12v across the pump, or
> just across the (removed) pump feed wire.

Well, he said 12V at the pump, so I was assuming the pump was in the
circuit. If not, your comments above are correct.
skype: jjpfeifferjr
Old June 16th 05, 01:16 AM
Tom Del Rosso

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...

> Nope. A faulty connection, faulty relay, faulty wire or faulty ground
> could allow 12v at the tiny current needed to cause "12.0" to appear on a
> voltmeter's display, while being sufficiently resistive to block the much
> higher current needed to start and run the pump reliably.

I doubt he would try to measure it disconnected, but I'll ask him.