CB Antenna???

Old June 14th 05, 07:19 PM
FrankW

Default CB Antenna???

Hello Group
I'm looking for some opinions on
CB antennas.
Which are the best (your opinion :-) ) for a jeep?
Best way for mounting?......etc

Looking around I found a decent way for mounting
an antenna from Tera-Flex.
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/tjcbinstall/

Unfortunately they don't have one that fits a 04-05TJ yet.
I may wait though, as this seems ideal, But how best to route the
coax elegantly into the body?????? Which stick to put on that bracket????.

Any pointers to this and other methods are most welcome.
Thanks in advance
Cheers
Frank

Old June 14th 05, 07:25 PM
FrankW

Oops Forgot to mention also for info or a source
for a robust external speaker that may mount with my sound bar
I have a 05 Rubicon
Thanks again.
Regards
Frank

Old June 14th 05, 07:30 PM
Jerry Bransford

I've had very good luck with Firestik antennas. Just make sure you get
the slightly more expensive version that has a brass tuning screw on top
for use when tuning the antenna for minimum SWR. Their cheaper antenna
is tuned by pulling a wire out of the top and clipping short pieces off
until it is tuned, a PITA.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old June 14th 05, 08:45 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 14th 05, 09:05 PM
Billy Ray

Frank,
Most of the ones I see around here have been mounted into the rear bumper.
Best performance would come from mounting atop your rollcage although it
could be ripped off in a rollover. No matter how you do it have someone
with a SWR meter adjust your antenna as too much power reflected back will
damage the unit.

Antenna tuning info can be seen at:
http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Setting_SWR.htm

Old June 14th 05, 10:02 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Of course Real Jeepers, mount the antenna correctly, like it's
going to be there awhile, like on an Highway Patrol car:
http://www.billhughes.com/barbJeep.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old June 15th 05, 12:54 AM
Professor

Keep in mind that the best performing mobile CB antenna is the 1/4
wavelength whip... standing 9 feet tall. This antenna may not be
practical for all CBers. The Wilson 1000 antenna is my next choice...
at around 5 feet tall. It's of the utmost importance that you mount any
antenna you choose so that the most possible portion of the antenna
radiator is above any solid objects. This is critical for antenna
matching and overall performance! Don't make the mistake I see many
jeep owners make by putting a rather short antenna right next to the
body. You won't be talking to anybody that way...

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

Old June 15th 05, 01:16 AM
Jerry Bransford

Keep in mind that since this is a Jeep forum, odds are he offroads. And
if he offroads in organized Jeep runs or belongs to a Jeep club, they've
all pretty much limited antenna heights to 48 to 52" max for safety
reasons. It's safest to just recommend nothing taller than 4' in height.

Jerry

Old June 15th 05, 12:44 PM
Jeep

I have an '03 TJ and I've mounted my 5' Firestick on a spring mount directly
on the rear bumper just to the left of the tailgate...it's easy to mount, my
send and recieve is awesome even though the antenna does not fully sit above
the body...

Jeff VE1WWH (worlds worst ham)
'03 TJ & '95 ZJ

Old June 15th 05, 12:48 PM
FrankW

Professor wrote:
> Keep in mind that the best performing mobile CB antenna is the 1/4
> wavelength whip... standing 9 feet tall. This antenna may not be
> practical for all CBers.

101 inches to be exact

The Wilson 1000 antenna is my next choice...

Thanks I'll check it out

> at around 5 feet tall. It's of the utmost importance that you mount any
> antenna you choose so that the most possible portion of the antenna
> radiator is above any solid objects. This is critical for antenna
> matching and overall performance! Don't make the mistake I see many
> jeep owners make by putting a rather short antenna right next to the
> body. You won't be talking to anybody that way...

LOL Reminds me of a pickup truck I saw at the Liquor store
in Calabogie Ontario. The guy stuck a piece of wood into
one of the holes on the top of the pickup bed wall and
mounted the antenna on that piece of wood. No he didn't
have a ground strap attached either. :-)

> Professor
> www.telstar-electronics.com

Disabling the power antenna R. P. Honda 9 April 13th 05 04:58 AM
Power antenna malfunction R. P. Honda 13 April 9th 05 05:25 AM
Power Antenna George Honda 0 January 28th 05 10:40 AM
Power Antenna Connector Wiring Barry S. Honda 1 December 8th 04 06:05 PM
Installing a power antenna Dave Smith Mazda 6 November 30th 04 02:36 AM