'87 C4 - A/C: Recharge stock or convert to new refrigerant?

Old June 11th 05, 09:18 PM
Ed Berns

Default '87 C4 - A/C: Recharge stock or convert to new refrigerant?

Hi all,

My '87 coupe's A/C is blowing cool but not cold so should I recharge the
original A/C and keep the setup all original for that future collector or
convert to the new refrigerant (R12 vs R34?)?

Surprise, surprise, the cost at local garages (for recharge or conversion)
and the nearby Chevy dealership (conversion only) is exactly the same --
$200.

Thoughts??

Best to all.

Ed B.

Old June 12th 05, 01:19 PM
dave

What is involved in the conversion for $200 ? I think it would be a
selling point to a future owner if it was upgraded because once R12 is
gone...its gone forever.

Old June 12th 05, 01:20 PM
dave

By the way, its R134 (and not R34).

Old June 12th 05, 05:28 PM
Greg

stick with r-12, cools better, in your system and it has a lower temp/
pressure curve.

Old June 13th 05, 12:50 AM
Bob I

To actually be correct it is R134a used as the R12 replacement.

Old June 13th 05, 04:48 PM
Paul H.

This is an annual topic for this NG. Last year someone mentioned FR-12
as being the solution to everyone's problem. (Higher cooling capacity
than R134a, lower head pressure than R-12, ozone OK, no great conversion
cost, etc. etc.) These are some current web pages that take some of the
gloss from FR12. (keep in mind that there may be some "sour grapes"
here from outfits that don't want the expense of handling three
refrigerants)

http://www.refimax.com/products/fr12.htm

http://www.autofrost.com/oil/

http://store.lenzdist.com/product.php?xProd=720

My A/C guy (Griffin's in San Diego) still has me on R-12 and doesn't
want to convert older Corvettes to R134a because of the high heat load
in the car. Last summer I asked him about FR-12 and he said he wanted
to wait. I'm cool for now and don't plan on another complete service
till next year. (Meanwhile the system is loaded with R-12 and a
florescent dye -- Costs a few bucks to shine the black light on it every
couple of months to spot minor leaks before they cause me to mortgage
the farm.)

Anyone else have any FR-12 experience ???

Paul H.

Old June 13th 05, 07:02 PM
Greg

fr-12? freeze 12 is that what you are refering to? if so i have a lot.
of experience with it.

Old June 13th 05, 07:23 PM
WayneC

Greg wrote:
> fr-12? freeze 12 is that what you are refering to? if so i have a lot.
> of experience with it.

Based on the second link that Paul H. gave, FR-12 and freeeze 12 are
different products.

But, what WAS your experience???
Old June 14th 05, 03:39 AM
Ed Berns

Hi all,

Thanks for the great info. I'll post results when I make the final decision.

Ed B.

Old June 15th 05, 12:01 AM
Greg

it works ok, not as good as r-12 and it runs at a little higher
pressure than r-12, we use it in fords for the most parts because of
the spring lock connectors that are very prone to leak