Saturn Engine Swap

Old March 9th 05, 05:22 AM

Default Saturn Engine Swap

I am looking to swap an engine from a 94 SL2 DOHC AUTO Tranny into my
94 SL2 Manual Tranny. Does the enginer match up after replacing the
torque converter with the fly wheel???

Any hints or issues to look out for would also be appreciated

Saturn Man

Old March 9th 05, 07:32 AM
Lane

With the auto trans, there's a plate that bolts to the crankshaft which the
torque converter then bolts to. Make sure you don't use those bolts to
secure the flywheel to the crankshaft. Use the ones made for the manual
trans flywheel because they are slightly longer than the ones from the auto.
Unfortunately, they're easy to mix up if you've tossed all your bolts in one
bin but that length difference is important.

I don't know why Saturn just didn't use the longer bolts for both auto and
manual in the first place... I suppose they had to save that nickel.

Have fun with your swap.
Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

oups.com...

Old March 9th 05, 11:17 PM
Philip Nasadowski

In article >,
"Lane" > wrote:

> I don't know why Saturn just didn't use the longer bolts for both auto and
> manual in the first place... I suppose they had to save that nickel.

Flexplate should, in theory, absorb a lot of the loading, and in any
case, the shock loads are lower in an automagic. Then again, it would
have been cheaper to just use/stock one bolt size...

Sometimes GM's quest to shave a cent goes to absurd lengths...
Old March 11th 05, 02:41 AM
Kevin M. Keller

blah blah > typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

> I dont think GM had a say for something that wasnt their design...

uhhhh.... Huh?

Saturn = GM. Saturn engine = GM engine.

--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com
Old March 11th 05, 02:43 AM
Dan Duncan

Philip Nasadowski > wrote:
> Flexplate should, in theory, absorb a lot of the loading, and in any
> case, the shock loads are lower in an automagic. Then again, it would
> have been cheaper to just use/stock one bolt size...

> Sometimes GM's quest to shave a cent goes to absurd lengths...

Automotive engineers need job security, right? Why do you think
there are multitudes of different sizes of parts like light
bulbs, wipers, alternators, etc?

Take incandescent light bulbs, for example: They're pretty much all 12V
with standard brightness requirements. So why are there so many
different ones?

-DanD

--
# Dan Duncan (kd4igw) http://pcisys.net/~dand
# Just remember that streets lights synchronized for 40mph are also
Old March 18th 05, 10:17 PM
Paul Elliot

Lane wrote:

> With the auto trans, there's a plate that bolts to the crankshaft which the
> torque converter then bolts to. Make sure you don't use those bolts to
> secure the flywheel to the crankshaft. Use the ones made for the manual
> trans flywheel because they are slightly longer than the ones from the auto.
> Unfortunately, they're easy to mix up if you've tossed all your bolts in one
> bin but that length difference is important.
>
> I don't know why Saturn just didn't use the longer bolts for both auto and
> manual in the first place... I suppose they had to save that nickel.
>
> Have fun with your swap.
> Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
> ---
> Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com
>

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>I am looking to swap an engine from a 94 SL2 DOHC AUTO Tranny into my
>>94 SL2 Manual Tranny. Does the enginer match up after replacing the
>>torque converter with the fly wheel???
>>
>>Any hints or issues to look out for would also be appreciated
>>
>>Saturn Man

I'm sure that the difference in length has much more to do with
clearance issues!
Paul E
04 Vue V6 AWD
05 Relay 3

--
"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to
society" - Theodore Roosevelt