oil filter cross reference question

Old December 21st 04, 05:35 PM

On 21 Dec 2004 06:49:52 -0800, wrote:

||FYI for everyone - it's wixfilters.com now, not wix.com. I went to
||their site, and for my year, make, model, engine, etc. (96 mazda) they
||said wix part #51357 which does NOT correspond to PH6607. I guess I'll
||use the frams this time around, chuck the old ones, and maybe use wix
||filters from here on out.
||Have others used Wix filters on this board - satisfied with them??

Wix is as good as it comes.

Texas Parts Guy
Old December 21st 04, 05:36 PM

||*by real test, I mean connecting a filter up to equipment and pumping
||oil through it - measure flow rates, how much contaminants it can hold,
||etc etc... instead of "the fram filter looks cheap and the wix filter
||has the prettiest filter media..."

Auto-X magazine (now GRM) did such a test back in the early '90s. Wix won.
Texas Parts Guy
Old December 22nd 04, 04:15 PM

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 02:20:44 GMT, Ray > wrote:

wrote:
||> ||

||> Auto-X magazine (now GRM) did such a test back in the early '90s. Wix won.
||> Texas Parts Guy
||kewl.
||too bad that means the test is 10 years old. I'm sure even Fram filters
||aren't the same as they were 10 years ago...(note that I didn't say
||Better, I said different.) Heck, my car's filter didn't even exist 10
||years ago. (GM Gen III V8)

Wix makes a counter display for parts stores that consists of a nice base and
background. Base has three dowels sticking up. To complete the display, you take
3 filters - Wix and 2 competitors, cut the case (Wix sells a filter cutter) and
slip the pieces over the dials so custoemrs can look at the internals. Wix
doesn't care what filters you compare, but the usual is Fram and AC. AC is
actually a pretty good filter. Fram (for popular applications) has minimal
media, cardboard ends, and a halloween clicker for a relief valve spring. Wix
and AC has metal ends, Wix has a real coil spring and silicone rubber drainback
valve, plus much more filter media.
Once you get into commercial and industrial, and even some less popular
light-duty engines, Fram is OK. But they made a decision several decades ago to
cheapen the most popular filters in order to meet the requirements of the Big
Box retailers. The result was a $2.49 filter that was worth exactly that.
Those cheapies use to be called "WearGuard", not sure if that's still the
rule. But if your application is out of that classification, you may be able to
buy a decent Fram filter. But if Wix is available, use them.

Texas Parts Guy