What brand of tools favored by pros?

Old November 8th 04, 03:11 AM
Roger Sircar

Default What brand of tools favored by pros?

I have been using Craftsman hand tools for years without any problem. I
personally don't care for the very glossy chrome finish like Snap On Tools.

And the price seems to be reasonable with their life time warranty.

Those chepo Chinese/Taiwanese tools are for kids. Unless you want a bolt to
be rounded keep them away from heavy duty use.

I am more on the side of utility value than looks!
"Nomen Nescio" > wrote in message
> Ever hear of New Brunswick? My school auto shop had a bunch and I thought
> they were great. As I recall, they had some Proto tools as well.
>
> Well, being a poor boy, I collected Craftsman tools. They're roughly
> finished for the most part, not like their latest versions. Mine are made
> in the U.S.A. Today, I believe, some of the Craftsman line are imported.
>
> I also have a few Snap-On tools and they are like fine jewels. Snap-On
> sells direct to the pros from mobile sales trucks. Their quality is
> unquestionably the best, but so are their prices the highest.
>
> Does anybody have an opinion about Taiwanese tools? Outwardly, they
> resemble Snap-On in their finish and sell for remarkably low prices. Do
> pros use them? Is the quality through and through with quality alloys and
> heat treatment or they promoted on their cosmetic atributes? I have
> noticed that some famous brands like Black and Decker and Stanley are
> importing from Taiwan.
>
> Any opinions on Chinese tools? They look robust and generally have a good
> finish. I bought a Chinese-made breaker bar handle in 1/2 inch drive and
> it works just fine. I know the discount tool stores sell a lot of Chinese
> stuff, particularly impact tools and they're cheap and look robust, fit

for
> the purpose.
>
> Every professional mechanic loses tools now and then. I would hate to

have

Old November 8th 04, 03:11 AM
Roger Sircar

Old November 8th 04, 12:37 PM
Denny

"Nomen Nescio" > wrote in message
> Ever hear of New Brunswick? My school auto shop had a bunch and I thought

> With pros, is it a mandatory status symbol to own a complete Snap-On
> collection, or have they gravitated toward imports already?

I have a Snap-on box bought new in '85 and no doubt it is a dammed good tool
box. Would I spend that kind of money again??, nope. There are many other
boxes out there that do the job just fine and cost about 1/4 as much. I have
some Snap-on and Mac tools but the majority of them are SK and now the
Craftsman Professional line. I just can't see the price the tool trucks are
getting. There is a local tech college in town where the automotive/diesel
students can purchase complete sets of Snap-on tools for half price. This
tells me they make way too much off everybody else.

Denny

Old November 8th 04, 12:37 PM
Denny

Old November 8th 04, 08:47 PM
DAVID THORNTON

I am with you on that.
Of course it helps that my wife works for Corporate Sears, and gets a
substantial discount..... :^)

I am also on the side of utility, but Craftsman has come out with some
really nice looking tools as of late.

Freedom is NEVER free! Support our TROOPS! David Thornton
IM:
Signature powered by Plaxo ... Want a signature like this? Add me to your
address book...

Old November 8th 04, 08:47 PM
DAVID THORNTON

Old November 15th 04, 07:10 AM
Terry

On 2004-11-08 05:37:35 -0600, "Denny" > said:

> "Nomen Nescio" > wrote in message
>> Ever hear of New Brunswick? My school auto shop had a bunch and I thought

>> With pros, is it a mandatory status symbol to own a complete Snap-On
>> collection, or have they gravitated toward imports already?
>>

> I have a Snap-on box bought new in '85 and no doubt it is a dammed good
> tool box. Would I spend that kind of money again??, nope. There are
> many other boxes out there that do the job just fine and cost about 1/4
> as much. I have some Snap-on and Mac tools but the majority of them are
> SK and now the Craftsman Professional line. I just can't see the price
> the tool trucks are getting. There is a local tech college in town
> where the automotive/diesel students can purchase complete sets of
> Snap-on tools for half price. This tells me they make way too much off
> everybody else.
>
> Denny

I do helicopter work and often we are forced to use Snap-On, Mac, etc.
(due to tight space tolerances), but more and more I am finding that
the Craftsman line suits my needs. My own tools are probably 60%
Snap-On with the rest mainly Craftsman, although I use some Blackhawk,
Proto, and SK. I believe the main line of Craftsman is now made by SK.
Whenever I need a new tool now I check Sears first. They have been
doing well for me and *never* hassle me about a replacement. I do use
cheap Asian tools, but I keep them around just to cut up or weld into
something else. Be careful if you choose to use cheap tools; they can
get you hurt easily when they break (...and they will).

*Remove "yershoes" from address*
--
- Terry

Old November 15th 04, 07:10 AM
Terry

Old November 15th 04, 03:21 PM
Richard Ehrenberg

SK is now a German-owned out fit.

"New Brunswick"? I have some "New Britian" which, as I recall, was actually
from the same mfr. that has (had?) the Sears Craftsman contract.

To me, the best tools ever were Williams. I guess they folded ~20 years ago,
now Snap-On bought / uses the name. Those guys are really more of loan
sharks than tool vendors.

Proto's been fine over the years, too. But for convenience, proce, warranty
ease, and price (when on sale), you can't beat Craftsman.

I def. agree with Terry on the cheap-China-India-tool syndrome. They will
break off / apart at the most inopportune times, smashing your knuckles,
tearing your eyeball out, etc. Been there, done that! OK only for occasional
low-stress use - glove-box emergency, etc.

Rick
news:2004111500100016807%younkintyershoes@sbcgloba lnet...

Old November 15th 04, 03:21 PM
Richard Ehrenberg

Audi Special tools ~ ElektraMan ~ Audi 4 November 3rd 04 10:33 PM
EXCESS TOOL INVENTORY- SPX/OTC-SERVICE SOLUTIONS TOOLS Kirk Rocheford-All World, Inc. Dodge 0 October 18th 04 05:37 PM