Oil Filter from San Leandro Honda?

Old May 5th 05, 06:23 AM
Elle

"SoCalMike" > wrote
> Elle wrote:
> >
> > These OEM filters are tiny in diameter, though. I assume I have the

correct
> > ones and will compare their heads to some generic ones today at

Wal-Mart,
> > "spec'd" for Honda. I have to find a cap wrench to fit them, as neither

of
> > the two sizes of small cap wrenches I have fit.

> i gave up on cap wrenches. theyre nice if you stick with identical
> filters. ive found the "pliers-style" oil filter wrench from harbor
> freight works on just about anything.

Yeahbut now I have three laying around that fit the various brands of 91
Honda Civic acceptable oil filters...

Wal-Mart had a perfect cap wrench for my new OEM filters for three dollars.

Maybe when I get my Honda Jazz, Toyota Echo, or Scion I'll check out what
Harbor Freight has. (Aside: The staff of a new Honda dealership near me have
never heard of the Jazz.)

Old May 5th 05, 08:37 AM
SoCalMike

Elle wrote:
> Maybe when I get my Honda Jazz, Toyota Echo, or Scion I'll check out what
> Harbor Freight has. (Aside: The staff of a new Honda dealership near me have
> never heard of the Jazz.)

cool thing about the echo/scion 1.5l engine is that the oil filter is at
the bottom front. to change the filter on my moms scion, i just lay down
on the driveway, reach my hand behind the bumper, and twist it off with
a gloved hand. no tools needed at all! and since its low and toward the
front, oil doesnt drip down (name your favorite place):

a)your arms
b)the engine block
c)the exhaust pipe/manifold
Old May 5th 05, 08:11 PM
y_p_w

SoCalMike wrote:
> Elle wrote:
> > Maybe when I get my Honda Jazz, Toyota Echo, or Scion I'll check
> > out what Harbor Freight has. (Aside: The staff of a new Honda
> > dealership near me have never heard of the Jazz.)

> cool thing about the echo/scion 1.5l engine is that the oil filter
> is at the bottom front. to change the filter on my moms scion, i
> just lay down on the driveway, reach my hand behind the bumper, and
> twist it off with a gloved hand. no tools needed at all! and since
> its low and toward the front, oil doesnt drip down (name your
> favorite place):
>
> a)your arms
> b)the engine block
> c)the exhaust pipe/manifold

The only problem is the possibility that a rock can damage a filter,
which isn't as "robust" as other components on the underside. My
latest car is a WRX, and it's just as easy once the underspoiler
is removed, but when attached, it will protect the filter against
debris.

I remember the pain in the butt that was my '95 Integra GS-R oil
change. I didn't have jack stands, so I did it halfway between
the garage and an inclined driveway. If I parked it just right,
I could slip in between a little triangular opening. Of course
I used wheel chocks. Then I used aluminum foil to make a custom
funnel to route oil past the left front axle and CV boot. The
perfect cap tool for the OEM filter (15400-PR3-014/15400-P0H-
305/etc) was a Flotool Graphite #3. However - once the filter
was spun off, there was no clearance to pull off the cap, since
the oil cooler took an additional 3/4" of space. I'd remove the
cap once the filter was off.

Of course my WRX has its own set of problems, like almost no
source for a proper cap wrench for the 67mm OEM filter, and limited
clearance around the filter to use my claw or band wrench. But
once the filter is off it doesn't spill everywhere.

Old May 5th 05, 08:41 PM
MAT

> I remember the pain in the butt that was my '95 Integra GS-R oil
> change. I didn't have jack stands, so I did it halfway between
> the garage and an inclined driveway. If I parked it just right,
> I could slip in between a little triangular opening. Of course
> I used wheel chocks. Then I used aluminum foil to make a custom
> funnel to route oil past the left front axle and CV boot. The
> perfect cap tool for the OEM filter (15400-PR3-014/15400-P0H-
> 305/etc) was a Flotool Graphite #3. However - once the filter
> was spun off, there was no clearance to pull off the cap, since
> the oil cooler took an additional 3/4" of space. I'd remove the
> cap once the filter was off.

Yeah changing the oil filter on the smaller Honda enigines is a PITA with
the filter high on the back of the block. Now I pop off the front driver
tire after I drain the pan which makes accessing the filter and reinstalling
the drain plug a lot easier. Dirty oil going up your sleeve and landing in
your armpit hair is just nasty!

Old May 5th 05, 09:30 PM
MAT

">
> Yeah changing the oil filter on the smaller Honda enigines is a PITA with
> the filter high on the back of the block. Now I pop off the front driver
> tire after I drain the pan which makes accessing the filter and
> reinstalling the drain plug a lot easier. Dirty oil going up your sleeve
> and landing in your armpit hair is just nasty!

Edit: remove the front *passenger* tire

Old May 7th 05, 03:51 AM

My 2 cents.
Filter wrench is good as long as they don't change the filter on you which
is what happened to me and now I have a useless oil filter wrench (used only
twice). Now I just use my hand to hand loose and hand tighten. works
everytime. the civic is easy to get to. the crv is a different story.

isn't the honda brand oil filter ~$5?

news

Old May 7th 05, 03:31 PM
Elle

The Honda brand oil filter goes for $5.20 (not including shipping/handling)
at SL Honda. It is $6.50 at my nearest dealer's.

I paid $3 for a filter wrench at Wal-Mart. Now I have three, each of which
fits different brands of filters (e.g. K-Mart's generic; Fram; Shell's top
of the line) that fit my 91 Civic. I had a few more filter wrenches before
this, for the other cars in my life.

Three bucks isn't enough to raise my ire. From my collection acquired since
I bought the car, I doubt now I'll ever have to buy another wrench. (I also
own a "crusher" wrench, a last resort wrench should the old filter become
too tight over time. Saved me twice over 14 years.)

I tried to go the 3/4 turn on my latest filter by hand and could not do it.
I am a woman; small hands; have to lie on my back under the car with my nose
nearly touching the exhaust pipe and my arm kind of weaved between
components to get a hand on the filter.

I did notice the OEM filters have a torque spec on them: 10-14 Newton
Meters, or about 7.4 to 10 foot-lbs, which based on my torquing experience,
isn't much, so I can completely believe hand torquing can achieve the 3/4
turn and approx. 7-10 ft-lbs.

"t" > wrote