Racing Legends - PPU compatibility?

Old May 4th 05, 08:00 PM
Tony Rickard

"John Simmons" wrote:

> The Wests put themselves in that position. They announced the game at
> LEAST four years ago, and we're all still waiting around to see
> something more tangible than a few 3D models. Further, activity on their
> website is restricted to the forums where racing anarchists have even
> lost interest in talking about RL, and instead are talking about other
> racing games. Where are the Wests? Probably out looking for a
> replacement for their cat...

I agree they misunderstood the sim community. Although in an odd way this
adds to the charm of a small team displaying a naive view of a group of sim
enthusiasts rather than business or marketing men.

They went from all to nothing. Showing a transporter because they thought
the sim community would be enthralled at the level of detail to shutting up
shop after the backlash.

The reality is the transporter didn't delay anything. The sim engine was
still in development which meant the graphics development could not take
place until ready. So the transporter was done in slack time.

I was just as critical as anyone at the time because I simply didn't
understand. So, yes it was bad PR but the Wests aren't about PR they are
about creating sims - hence the charm, at least for me.

Cheers
Tony

Old May 4th 05, 08:31 PM
Larry

I'm sure their copy of Photoshop runs faster...

-Larry

. uk...

Old May 4th 05, 08:33 PM
Larry

Ashley,

What is one TO think ?

It's been like 5 years now this same conversation has been going on.

We've erected the better part of a friggin' SPACE STATION in that period of
time. I realize they don't have to be concerned with tire wear or physics,
but I'm quiet sure the GRIP issue is a bitch...

-Larry

ups.com...

Old May 4th 05, 08:55 PM
Bruce Kennewell

What a shame that Messrs West didn't do the same.
(They probably wish that they HAD done so!)

Bruce.

"Tony Rickard" > wrote in message
. uk...
> .... It is not surprising the developers huddle with their private
> groups behind their NDAs until they are ready to go public with the

finished

Old May 4th 05, 08:57 PM
Bruce Kennewell

It is certainly more than three years since the terms "West brothers" and
"simulation" were seen together in the same sentence in RAS.

Cretin!

Bruce.

Old May 4th 05, 09:21 PM
Tony Rickard

"Bruce Kennewell" wrote:

> "Tony Rickard" wrote:
> > .... It is not surprising the developers huddle with their private
> > groups behind their NDAs until they are ready to go public with the
> > finished article..

> What a shame that Messrs West didn't do the same.
> (They probably wish that they HAD done so!)

I guess the point is I believe they are now. Once burnt and all that...

Old May 4th 05, 11:00 PM
.

If you havnt got the intelligence to differentiate between one product and a
totally new product then I wonder how you manage to breathe.

Old May 4th 05, 11:22 PM
.

Another one who cant tell the difference between one product and starting
from scratch on an all new one. What the hell does it matter.

Old May 4th 05, 11:43 PM
John Simmons

In article > ,
says...

> "John Simmons" wrote:
>
> > The Wests put themselves in that position. They announced the game at
> > LEAST four years ago, and we're all still waiting around to see
> > something more tangible than a few 3D models. Further, activity on their
> > website is restricted to the forums where racing anarchists have even
> > lost interest in talking about RL, and instead are talking about other
> > racing games. Where are the Wests? Probably out looking for a
> > replacement for their cat...

> I agree they misunderstood the sim community. Although in an odd way this
> adds to the charm of a small team displaying a naive view of a group of sim
> enthusiasts rather than business or marketing men.

First we were waiting for WSC, now RL. I don't think they understand the
game development business, much less the small niche of users they're
trying to sell to. The primary problem is that they have nobody
standing over them cracking a whip. Programmers are the worst possible
people to be in charge of a software project.

> They went from all to nothing. Showing a transporter because they thought
> the sim community would be enthralled at the level of detail to shutting up
> shop after the backlash.
>
> The reality is the transporter didn't delay anything. The sim engine was
> still in development which meant the graphics development could not take
> place until ready. So the transporter was done in slack time.

They should have a crapload of transporters done by now then...

> I was just as critical as anyone at the time because I simply didn't
> understand. So, yes it was bad PR but the Wests aren't about PR they are
> about creating sims - hence the charm, at least for me.

I understand, and the Wests haven't been about creating sims as much as
they have been in creating vapor.

I think I've been as patient about this as anyone else, but blind belief
in this product is pretty pointless. If it is ever released, I might
buy it, but I'm not going to stand by and let comments like Ashley's go
un-touched. It's simply not my nature, especially if I have an already
formed opinion.

Lastly, I've been a programmer for over 25 years, and I've turned out a
number of fairly huge applications from 175,000 lines of code to well
over 750,000 (sorry, I don't know the metric equivalent - grin). These
guys are taking too freakin long to come up with a product.

Old May 4th 05, 11:48 PM
.

Why does it matter to you? Move on, forget about it. Seems to me if you are
so convinced they are all vapour you cant be too bright to be interested in
it enough still to post about it. Face it you still want it too happen, but
it makes you feel good to slag them off for some odd reason.Something wrong
with people who dislike something so much that they would continue to help
it exists by posting than just to let it go away and move on to something
thats probably worth concerning their time with.

> Lastly, I've been a programmer for over 25 years, and I've turned out a
> number of fairly huge applications from 175,000 lines of code to well
> over 750,000 (sorry, I don't know the metric equivalent - grin). These
> guys are taking too freakin long to come up with a product.

How many of those lines did you do that you wernt being paid for?

Racing Legends demo released !!! Doug Hook Simulators 7 April 2nd 05 06:43 PM
GTP Lives!!! Steve Smith Simulators 20 February 14th 05 05:59 AM
Racing Legends forums gone? [email protected] Simulators 13 February 3rd 05 09:29 PM
Mustang Returns to Sports Car Racing Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 0 January 29th 05 06:39 PM
Tough to Enter the Racing Sim Scene Chuck Simulators 14 November 10th 04 06:27 AM