Clutch Fails But Reservoir Full - Replaced Slave Cylinder

Old March 7th 05, 01:52 AM
mjb920

Default Clutch Fails But Reservoir Full - Replaced Slave Cylinder

The clutch in my '96 Miata went from being fine in the morning to
useless at lunchtime. The clutch pedal feels like there is no pressure
at all. The reservoir is full, but the fluid looks dark at the bottom.

I replaced the slave cylinder and went to bleed it, but noticed that
when the clutch is depressed the bracket that presses on the slave
cylinder piston does not move. Would this mean the master cylinder is
bad?

Thanks,
Jim

Old March 7th 05, 02:08 AM
XS11E

"mjb920" > wrote in
oups.com:

> The clutch in my '96 Miata went from being fine in the morning to
> useless at lunchtime. The clutch pedal feels like there is no
> pressure at all. The reservoir is full, but the fluid looks dark
> at the bottom.
>
> I replaced the slave cylinder and went to bleed it, but noticed
> that when the clutch is depressed the bracket that presses on the
> slave cylinder piston does not move. Would this mean the master
> cylinder is bad?

Very likely. One thing that could be happening is that the rubber cup
on the piston is bad and the fluid can just leak right past w/o being
pushed to the slave cylinder.

BE CAREFUL with the brake fluid, it wrecks paint. Try bleeding the
system to see if the master cylinder will give you any pressure at all,
if not, you probably will have to rebuild the master cylinder.

Old March 7th 05, 05:31 AM
Natman

On 6 Mar 2005 16:52:05 -0800, "mjb920" > wrote:

>The clutch in my '96 Miata went from being fine in the morning to
>useless at lunchtime. The clutch pedal feels like there is no pressure
>at all. The reservoir is full, but the fluid looks dark at the bottom.
>
>I replaced the slave cylinder and went to bleed it, but noticed that
>when the clutch is depressed the bracket that presses on the slave
>cylinder piston does not move. Would this mean the master cylinder is
>bad?
>
>Thanks,
>Jim

If I read your post correctly, you have not yet finished bleeding the
system. The clutch arm will not move until the system is bled.
Old March 8th 05, 04:55 AM
mjb920

Natman wrote:
> On 6 Mar 2005 16:52:05 -0800, "mjb920" > wrote:
>
> >The clutch in my '96 Miata went from being fine in the morning to
> >useless at lunchtime. The clutch pedal feels like there is no

pressure
> >at all. The reservoir is full, but the fluid looks dark at the

bottom.

> >I replaced the slave cylinder and went to bleed it, but noticed that
> >when the clutch is depressed the bracket that presses on the slave
> >cylinder piston does not move. Would this mean the master cylinder

is
> >bad?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Jim

> If I read your post correctly, you have not yet finished bleeding the
> system. The clutch arm will not move until the system is bled.

You're right - I was thinking the clutch arm moved the piston, not the
other way around. I tried to bleed the system, but pressing or pumping
the clutch pedal has no effect. I can't build up any pressure.

Old March 8th 05, 05:20 AM
Natman

On 7 Mar 2005 19:55:06 -0800, "mjb920" > wrote:

>Natman wrote:
>> On 6 Mar 2005 16:52:05 -0800, "mjb920" > wrote:
>>
>> >The clutch in my '96 Miata went from being fine in the morning to
>> >useless at lunchtime. The clutch pedal feels like there is no

>pressure
>> >at all. The reservoir is full, but the fluid looks dark at the

>bottom.
>> >
>> >I replaced the slave cylinder and went to bleed it, but noticed that
>> >when the clutch is depressed the bracket that presses on the slave
>> >cylinder piston does not move. Would this mean the master cylinder

>is
>> >bad?
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >Jim

>> If I read your post correctly, you have not yet finished bleeding the
>> system. The clutch arm will not move until the system is bled.

>You're right - I was thinking the clutch arm moved the piston, not the
>other way around. I tried to bleed the system, but pressing or pumping
>the clutch pedal has no effect. I can't build up any pressure.

Did you fill the slave with fluid before you bolted it on? It helps.

Try having an assistant pump several times with the bleeder closed.
The while they maintain pressure, loosen the bleeder. Retighten and
repeat as needed.

Or get a Mity Vac tool and bleed it yourself.
Old March 8th 05, 05:46 AM
pws

Natman wrote:

> Did you fill the slave with fluid before you bolted it on? It helps.
>
> Try having an assistant pump several times with the bleeder closed.
> The while they maintain pressure, loosen the bleeder. Retighten and
> repeat as needed.
>
> Or get a Mity Vac tool and bleed it yourself.

Just a thought, and probably a stretch, but I wonder if it could either
be a defective clutch cylinder or bleeder screw that isn't sealing
correctly, or is possibly not being tightened enough each time. There
should be fluid coming out from the bleeder screw area as long as it is
open no matter what unless the system is clogged somewhere.

The Mity Vac is a great tool, but I prefer speed-bleeders for both
clutch and brakes, mainly because I can't lose or break them.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/ (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer)

Pat
Old March 10th 05, 06:56 AM

I also changed a clutch slave cylinder this week. I had the line open
for about 10 minutes and a lot of fluid in the master emptied. With
everything back together, it took maybe 60-80 pedal strokes before we
got enough air out of the system to feel some pedal pressure. If I had
not done this before and knew how long it can take, I might have gotten
worried. My helper was worried, but I told him to keep pumping the
pedal.

Clutch Fails But Reservoir Full mjb920 Mazda 3 February 25th 05 11:19 PM
Clutch Slave Cyl. Jeepster Jeep 7 February 6th 05 11:38 PM
95 Jeep Wrangler Shifting problems [email protected] Jeep 12 January 21st 05 07:56 PM
94 Civic: boot the clutch slave cylinder goes into?? Abeness Honda 2 November 16th 04 06:26 AM
Clutch died on '96 Golf 1.8 Wakeley Purple VW water cooled 12 October 21st 04 10:31 AM