2007 Accord - Cruise Control

Old November 14th 06, 11:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

Default 2007 Accord - Cruise Control

John Horner wrote:

> no name wrote:
> > The manufacturer's recommended break-in period for a Honda Accord, six
> > cylinder, with automatic is 600 miles. I was advised by someone at the
> > dealership that cruise control should not be used until the vehicle
> > has been driven for 1500 miles. The owner's manual makes no mention of
> > a separate break-in for the cruise control. Has anyone else ever
> > heard this?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your input.
> > When replying via email remove the asterisk from my address.

> People say all kinds of dumb things. Some of those people work in car
> dealerships. Don't worry about it.
>
> John

Uh, generally, break-in periods suggest not driving at constant speeds.
So, in this case, the advice may well have been appropriate.

JT
Old November 14th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Michael Pardee

"Grumpy AuContraire" > wrote in message

> John Horner wrote:
>>
>> no name wrote:
>> > The manufacturer's recommended break-in period for a Honda Accord, six
>> > cylinder, with automatic is 600 miles. I was advised by someone at the
>> > dealership that cruise control should not be used until the vehicle
>> > has been driven for 1500 miles. The owner's manual makes no mention of
>> > a separate break-in for the cruise control. Has anyone else ever
>> > heard this?
>> >

>> People say all kinds of dumb things. Some of those people work in car
>> dealerships. Don't worry about it.
>>

> Uh, generally, break-in periods suggest not driving at constant speeds.
> So, in this case, the advice may well have been appropriate.

The "no cruise control" period was almost three times the break-in period. I
think half a point to each perspective is due.

Mike

Old November 14th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
jim beam

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

> John Horner wrote:
>> no name wrote:
>>> The manufacturer's recommended break-in period for a Honda Accord, six
>>> cylinder, with automatic is 600 miles. I was advised by someone at the
>>> dealership that cruise control should not be used until the vehicle
>>> has been driven for 1500 miles. The owner's manual makes no mention of
>>> a separate break-in for the cruise control. Has anyone else ever
>>> heard this?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for your input.
>>> When replying via email remove the asterisk from my address.

>> People say all kinds of dumb things. Some of those people work in car
>> dealerships. Don't worry about it.
>>
>> John

> Uh, generally, break-in periods suggest not driving at constant speeds.
> So, in this case, the advice may well have been appropriate.
>
> JT

what does it say in the honda manual?
Old November 14th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
John Horner

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

> Uh, generally, break-in periods suggest not driving at constant speeds.
> So, in this case, the advice may well have been appropriate.
>
> JT

Well, I just pulled out the owner's manual for my '06 Acura TSX. The
only restrictions for the first 600 miles are to avoid full throttle
acceleration, avoid agressive acceleration, avoid panic stop braking and
to leave the factory motor oil in the motor until the first oil change
interval.

The old procedures for running in rings, cams and the like do not seem
to apply to modern Honda products. I'm pretty sure Honda knows what
they are doing in this regard.

John
Old November 15th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
AZ Nomad

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 23:53:45 GMT, John Horner > wrote:

>Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

>> Uh, generally, break-in periods suggest not driving at constant speeds.
>> So, in this case, the advice may well have been appropriate.
>>
>> JT

>Well, I just pulled out the owner's manual for my '06 Acura TSX. The
>only restrictions for the first 600 miles are to avoid full throttle
>acceleration, avoid agressive acceleration, avoid panic stop braking and
>to leave the factory motor oil in the motor until the first oil change
>interval.

>The old procedures for running in rings, cams and the like do not seem
>to apply to modern Honda products. I'm pretty sure Honda knows what
>they are doing in this regard.

Sure. Can't have all their engines lasting 300K miles. It's much
better for honda if their engines only last through the period of their
extended warranties.
Old November 15th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
MishaA[_23_]

AZ Nomad Wrote:
> Sure. Can't have all their engines lasting 300K miles. It's much
> better for honda if their engines only last through the period of their
> extended warranties.

:lol: :thumbsup: +1

--
MishaA
MishaA's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=469060

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old November 15th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
JXStern

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 14:34:39 -0500, no name >
wrote:

>The manufacturer's recommended break-in period for a Honda Accord, six
>cylinder, with automatic is 600 miles. I was advised by someone at the
>dealership that cruise control should not be used until the vehicle
>has been driven for 1500 miles. The owner's manual makes no mention of
>a separate break-in for the cruise control. Has anyone else ever
>heard this?

Yeah, I heard it forty years ago for GM iron engines, except they
didnt even HAVE cruise control back then, but you were supposed to
vary your speed a lot.

Does not seem to be an issue for current Honda alumino-silicate engine
technology. No 500 mile break-in oil, either. Don't even have to
crank the engine manually to start them anymore, either.

Still have to parallel-park them yourself, but how much longer can
that go on?!

J.

Old November 15th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
jim beam

AZ Nomad wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 23:53:45 GMT, John Horner > wrote:
>

>> Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

>>> Uh, generally, break-in periods suggest not driving at constant speeds.
>>> So, in this case, the advice may well have been appropriate.
>>>
>>> JT

>> Well, I just pulled out the owner's manual for my '06 Acura TSX. The
>> only restrictions for the first 600 miles are to avoid full throttle
>> acceleration, avoid agressive acceleration, avoid panic stop braking and
>> to leave the factory motor oil in the motor until the first oil change
>> interval.

>> The old procedures for running in rings, cams and the like do not seem
>> to apply to modern Honda products. I'm pretty sure Honda knows what
>> they are doing in this regard.

> Sure. Can't have all their engines lasting 300K miles. It's much
> better for honda if their engines only last through the period of their
> extended warranties.

dude, with respect, time to move on. the improvements in precision,
materials and lubricants since the 50's and the detroit hunk-o-junk's
hay day render the old run-in procedure obsolete.

besides, have you ever worked on diesels? if so, you'll know that the
engine is controlled by the injection governor, not the pedal under the
drivers foot - it gives full throttle/injection with absolutely zero
regard to news groups. with that new knowledge and fear of blatant
abuse, can we suddenly expect the nation's diesel engine lifespans to
dramatically reduce?
Old November 15th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
MishaA[_24_]

jim beam Wrote:
> besides, have you ever worked on diesels? if so, you'll know that the
> engine is controlled by the injection governor, not the pedal under the
> drivers foot - it gives full throttle/injection with absolutely zero
> regard to news groups. with that new knowledge and fear of blatant
> abuse, can we suddenly expect the nation's diesel engine lifespans to
> dramatically reduce?

Not sure how this relates to the original topic, but if you try to
re-phrase for non-native English speaker it might help. And, BTW, pedal
under drivers foot still retains some control, even on diesels. They do
not drive by themselves just yet.:wink:

Old November 15th 06, 05:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

MishaA wrote:
<snip>
> pedal
> under drivers foot still retains some control, even on diesels. They do
> not drive by themselves just yet.:wink:

you've not worked on diesels then kiddo. the foot tells the governor
what the driver wants but the governor does everything from there. with
a gasoline engine, give it full pedal, you get full gas. with diesel,
full pedal can give you zero injection, 30% pedal can give you full
injection - it depends on load and revs, as determined by the governor,
not the driver.