Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

Old August 29th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

Default Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

Hi Billy Ray,

No, the strap does NOT slip when I try to turn it. I've used quite a
bit of force but the filter still didn't budge. I really don't want to
turn it harder because that may collapse the filter.

I'm going to take your advice and take the Liberty to my corner
quickie-lube place and let them fight with it. (When I took it to them
the first time -- at 2,500 miles -- it took them almost an hour to get
the factory-installed oil filter off and they tried a number of
different tools to do it). I'll just tell them to oil the rubber
gasket and to screw the filter on per the instructions on the box.
Hopefully, I can then do the work myself in the future).

Thanks,

Gary

P.S. to Mike: I doubt that leaving the cup (or cap) "broke" the oil
filter. Except for rounding-off the flutes on the filter, I haven't
"damaged" it, either. I think the filter was just screwed on a little
too tight.

Old August 29th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

Except for rounding-off the flutes on the filter, I haven't
> "damaged" it, either.

So if the flutes weren't rounded off, it wouldn't be damaged. So since they
are, it is damaged.

I think the filter was just screwed on a little
> too tight.

By whom?

Old August 29th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

For the "10784 Draper", see:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...ource=af fwin

but I don't think there's enough room around the oil filter to swing
the handle.

Gary

Old August 29th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Can you maybe get a long sharp screwdriver or chisel onto the rim and
hit it with a hammer there on an angle towards off? I have managed to
get one off something that way a while back. The impact can get it
started... or really screw it up by starting a leak, so be warned....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 29th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Gary

Ask them what type/model tool they use to remove it at quickie lube and then
go buy one yourself..

The other option is you can buy/install a remote filter adapter and locate
it to an more accessible place

Another option for right now might be to fill the 'cap wrench' with 5 minute
epoxy and glue it to the filter. After it sets up you can apply your socket
wrench and twist it off.
Or wrap the cap flutes with duct tape

or

wrap a couple turns of duct take around a ratchet extension and then a
couple more around the filter body

Ya know..... I probably have at least one of all these tools. Some work
great, some are specialized to specific vehicles, and some are just cr^p.

The ones I use most often are the ones below.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...ource=af fwin

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Oil-Fil...9&category=175

oups.com...

Old August 29th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

I use a 2 arm/cam operated wrench that goes on the end of a 3/8" square
drive socket set. MUCH better than the end cap drives, the harder you
twist the tighter it grips. Similar to this:
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...artNum=7759018

Old August 30th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Hootowl

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:38:34 GMT, AJ > wrote:

wrote:

>> Is there anyone out there that has actually changed the oil-filter on a
>> Liberty? What tool did you use
>>

> The tool you tried should work fine. The main problem is that just
>about everyone over tightens the filter. Seems like people think it has
>to be real tight so it won't leak. Most filters only require 1/2 to 3/4
>quarter turn after the gasket contacts the mating surface. Check the
>box and only tighten the amount it says; makes it come off easy!

Right! A properly installed spin-on oil filter can usually be removed
with your bare hands when the next oil change comes around (assuming
you can get your hands on it, of course).

Dan
Old August 30th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

Hi Billy Ray,

Because both tools you refer to grab the oil filter around its middle,
their "handles" are to the SIDE of the filter.
But, in a Liberty, there's no room at the SIDE of the filter to swing
the "handles".
So the tool almost needs to work from the END of the filter.

Gary

Old August 30th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

Gary,

The tool shown in my other post will get the filter at the end.

Carl

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi Billy Ray,
>
> Because both tools you refer to grab the oil filter around its middle,
> their "handles" are to the SIDE of the filter.
> But, in a Liberty, there's no room at the SIDE of the filter to swing
> the "handles".
> So the tool almost needs to work from the END of the filter.
>
> Gary

Jeep Liberty Renegade Feedback Needed. Loner Jeep 3 August 4th 06 05:25 PM
Jeep news from Chrysler Scott in Baltimore Jeep 20 June 28th 06 01:15 AM
New 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport Florence Oregon $21,995 [email protected] Chrysler 0 April 15th 05 01:33 AM
bestop Jeep give away 2004 Rusted Jeep 1 March 9th 05 07:41 AM
REAL air filter testing. More proof that K&N is junk. Steve W. 4x4 25 January 12th 05 01:22 PM