98 Explorer Belt Tensioner Replacement

Old June 28th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default 98 Explorer Belt Tensioner Replacement

I am thinking about replacing/checking by Tensioner because I am
hearing a droning noise when the truck is idling. Seems to be more
prominent in very hot weather.

I understand this is relatively easy to do. I took a look under the
hood, and there's a belt diagram that easily identifies the belt
tensioner and indicates to use a 3/8" socket wrench.

However, it looks like there is not a lot of room to work. It is about
an inch or inch and a half away from the fan. If I do get it out easily
enough, is the new one hard to get in? Do I basically make the belt
about as tight as it is now? Can I somehow test the tensioner after I
remove it, perhaps seeing if it spins smoothly?

Old June 28th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

This is one of the easiest things to replace on the explorer. Disconnect
your battery to make sure the fan doesn't come on. Use the 3/8" socket
wrench to relieve the tension on the belt and then remove the belt from the
tensioner. The tensioner has two or three bolts holding it on. Look for
wobble and noise in the tensioner after you remove it. Replacement should
be less than $50.
Your noise might be related to your IACV, so check that too.

ps.com...

Old June 28th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Captain Coleman wrote:
> This is one of the easiest things to replace on the explorer. Disconnect
> your battery to make sure the fan doesn't come on. Use the 3/8" socket
> wrench to relieve the tension on the belt and then remove the belt from the
> tensioner. The tensioner has two or three bolts holding it on. Look for
> wobble and noise in the tensioner after you remove it. Replacement should
> be less than $50.
> Your noise might be related to your IACV, so check that too.

Thanks for the tip. I did some searching on that and some people
indicated a bad IACV could cause the engine to die occasionally when
you try to start it. I have exprienced this occasionally, so I will
look at this too. I found a nice website showing how to clean it. Maybe
I should try to clean it first, the article said the part costs $132 at
AutoZone.
Here is the article:
http://www.explorer4x4.com/iac.htm

Old June 28th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Rog:

Two hints (1) don't try to clean the IAC, unless you are stuck out someplace
and experience a starting problem (2) Forget what the article said about the
price. The part will run you less than $35.00 at almost any Parts Store
(except Auto Zone). I have replaced two in the last couple of months for
myself and a friend, both in that price range. (O'Rielly's). FWIW
Bill
oups.com...

Old June 29th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

How would I know if I should replace the tensioner? I have a '95 XLT, and
it's running fine and has about 116,000 miles on it. I changed the
serpentine belt at about 80,000 miles. Do I need to change the tensioner?
Any suggesstions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ps.com...

Old July 5th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

> > I am thinking about replacing/checking by Tensioner because I am
> > hearing a droning noise when the truck is idling. Seems to be more
> > prominent in very hot weather.
> >
> > I understand this is relatively easy to do. I took a look under the
> > hood, and there's a belt diagram that easily identifies the belt
> > tensioner and indicates to use a 3/8" socket wrench.
> >
> > However, it looks like there is not a lot of room to work. It is about
> > an inch or inch and a half away from the fan. If I do get it out easily
> > enough, is the new one hard to get in? Do I basically make the belt
> > about as tight as it is now? Can I somehow test the tensioner after I
> > remove it, perhaps seeing if it spins smoothly?

> Well, I replaced the IACV (idle air control valve). It was $42 from
> AutoZone and it took about 2 minutes to swap out. Right on top of the
> engine and easy to get to. This may have resolved my problems. I am not
> 100% sure because I did not have the noise all the time. If not, I'll
> replace my tensioner, which looks like it would be just a little more
> work. Thanks for the tips guys, and I'll keep you posted.

Check that the seating of the tensioner is flat and not crooked. Mine
was crooked.
Listen for clunks when the belt changes speeds (like when you
accelerate). These tipped me off, I got a new tensioner on my Ranger
just in time apparently.

Old July 7th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
fordtech

if it's not making any abnormal noise, it's ok and that goes for just about
everything that's not a ware item, like hoses, brake shoes, belt, engine oil,
tires etc

Old July 21st 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

fordtech wrote:
> if it's not making any abnormal noise, it's ok and that goes for just about
> everything that's not a ware item, like hoses, brake shoes, belt, engine oil,
> tires etc
>
> Jacob wrote:
> >How would I know if I should replace the tensioner? I have a '95 XLT, and
> >it's running fine and has about 116,000 miles on it. I changed the
> >serpentine belt at about 80,000 miles. Do I need to change the tensioner?
> >Any suggesstions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
> >
> >>I am thinking about replacing/checking by Tensioner because I am
> >> hearing a droning noise when the truck is idling. Seems to be more

> >[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
> >> about as tight as it is now? Can I somehow test the tensioner after I
> >> remove it, perhaps seeing if it spins smoothly?

For me the indicator of when to replace my tensioner is when I watched
it bouncing on the highway behind me. Damn thing dropped right out as
I was on a big ol bridge. Limped the car into a parking lot and walked
5 miles in 100 degree heat to get a new one.

good times! =) It was a cheap part, if you have some reason to
suspect it at least buy it and keep it with you, save yourself the
walk!

Timing belt followup. B.B. Technology 6 April 2nd 06 06:39 AM
C5 Belt Squeak Dave Corvette 15 February 24th 06 12:30 PM
1996 Caravan - 3.0L Timing belt replacement aarcuda69062 Dodge 0 November 17th 05 10:10 AM
alternator belt replacement on 93 2.3L Gerry Pierce Ford Mustang 6 April 1st 05 01:11 PM
Belt replacement on a 2.4 JTD be037446 Alfa Romeo 4 November 4th 04 10:41 PM