'97 Town & Country road noise

Old April 22nd 06, 07:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default '97 Town & Country road noise

If anyone has had this problem and solved it, I'd appreciate knowing
how. I have a 97 T&C since it was new. For the last few years, there has
been a growing road/tire noise in the passenger compartment. New tires
did not really solve the problem, it simply changed the pitch of the
noise somewhat. The volume has grown to the point that you just about
can't hear the radio at anything lower than full volume. There has been
no changes in the insulation around the cabin that might explain this.
The noise is worse as you make turns, particularly left turns. Further
the greater noise seems to come from the front passenger side. I have
driven beside the van with windows down and can detect no unusual noise
from the outside. It just seems to be in the passenger compartment. The
only thing I can think of is some hardening or degradation of a bushing
somewhere in the suspension (like possibly a busing in the front strut
that isolates it from the frame) but the tires wear evenly, there is no
vibration in the steering, and there is no pulling that I would think
would accompany a suspension/steering problem.

Anyone have any ideas what might cause this?
Old April 22nd 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Al wrote:

> If anyone has had this problem and solved it, I'd appreciate knowing
> how. I have a 97 T&C since it was new. For the last few years, there has
> been a growing road/tire noise in the passenger compartment. New tires
> did not really solve the problem, it simply changed the pitch of the
> noise somewhat. The volume has grown to the point that you just about
> can't hear the radio at anything lower than full volume. There has been
> no changes in the insulation around the cabin that might explain this.
> The noise is worse as you make turns, particularly left turns. Further
> the greater noise seems to come from the front passenger side. I have
> driven beside the van with windows down and can detect no unusual noise
> from the outside. It just seems to be in the passenger compartment. The
> only thing I can think of is some hardening or degradation of a bushing
> somewhere in the suspension (like possibly a busing in the front strut
> that isolates it from the frame) but the tires wear evenly, there is no
> vibration in the steering, and there is no pulling that I would think
> would accompany a suspension/steering problem.
>
> Anyone have any ideas what might cause this?

My guess would be a bad wheel bearing. The tip off on that is that it
changes when turning. You don't hear it from the outside because the
noise goes into and radiates from the frame into the passenger
compartment. If the noise comes on or increases with left turns, the
left front bearing is the most likely suspect.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old April 22nd 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Al" > wrote in message
> If anyone has had this problem and solved it, I'd appreciate knowing how.
> I have a 97 T&C since it was new. For the last few years, there has been a
> growing road/tire noise in the passenger compartment. New tires did not
> really solve the problem, it simply changed the pitch of the noise
> somewhat. The volume has grown to the point that you just about can't hear
> the radio at anything lower than full volume. There has been no changes in
> the insulation around the cabin that might explain this. The noise is
> worse as you make turns, particularly left turns. Further the greater
> noise seems to come from the front passenger side. I have driven beside
> the van with windows down and can detect no unusual noise from the
> outside. It just seems to be in the passenger compartment. The only thing
> I can think of is some hardening or degradation of a bushing somewhere in
> the suspension (like possibly a busing in the front strut that isolates it
> from the frame) but the tires wear evenly, there is no vibration in the
> steering, and there is no pulling that I would think would accompany a
> suspension/steering problem.
>
> Anyone have any ideas what might cause this?

Have you checked the wheel bearings ? The noise you describe seems to
indicate bad wheel bearings.

Old April 23rd 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Mike wrote:

>"Al" > wrote in message
.. .

>>If anyone has had this problem and solved it, I'd appreciate knowing how.
>>I have a 97 T&C since it was new. For the last few years, there has been a
>>growing road/tire noise in the passenger compartment. New tires did not
>>really solve the problem, it simply changed the pitch of the noise
>>somewhat. The volume has grown to the point that you just about can't hear
>>the radio at anything lower than full volume. There has been no changes in
>>the insulation around the cabin that might explain this. The noise is
>>worse as you make turns, particularly left turns. Further the greater
>>noise seems to come from the front passenger side. I have driven beside
>>the van with windows down and can detect no unusual noise from the
>>outside. It just seems to be in the passenger compartment. The only thing
>>I can think of is some hardening or degradation of a bushing somewhere in
>>the suspension (like possibly a busing in the front strut that isolates it
>>from the frame) but the tires wear evenly, there is no vibration in the
>>steering, and there is no pulling that I would think would accompany a
>>suspension/steering problem.
>>
>>Anyone have any ideas what might cause this?
>>

> Have you checked the wheel bearings ? The noise you describe seems to
>indicate bad wheel bearings.

Thanks everyone for responding. I had never heard a wheel bearing sound
like tire noise when it went bad but that was indeed the problem. Works
great now.

excessive road noise sstrange Honda 1 April 19th 06 08:14 PM
Road noise in the new 2006 Passat William Maslin VW water cooled 3 January 20th 06 11:50 PM
1999 Town & Country Limited Wheel noise theoreh@_yahoo.com Chrysler 2 November 15th 05 12:18 AM
2000 Town Country Engine pulley raddle govt2005 Chrysler 0 May 27th 05 05:36 PM
Front Brake pad replacement 2003 Town and Country TC Dantanna Chrysler 8 December 22nd 04 08:13 PM