94 EB 4x4 intake gasket procedure

Old March 25th 06, 08:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default 94 EB 4x4 intake gasket procedure

Last week I torqued down my lower intake manifold bolts hoping to
solve the "mysterious" coolant leak that leaves no drips anywhere.

Well a week after I have done this I am still lossing coolant.
Later on today I am going to pull the intake manifold off and examine
the the manifold area.
I have a Ford Service Manual that states I must remove the valve
covers part of the procedure. Does anyone know if this is correct or
not?
I am also going to replace the thermostat and thermostat gasket while
doing this as I am going to flush the system.
My engine is a 4.0l Pushrod .

Any input appreciated.

Sam in Raleigh.
Old March 26th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

You have to remove the valve covers, no way around it, try to get the
non-cork replacement gaskets , they last longer and are not as easy
overtightened

Its easier too pull the intake manifold when t-stat and tube is removed.

When re=installing, make sure you throw away the cork strips and get
Permatex "the right stuff" and be sure all the surfaces are clean and all
brown carbon residue is removed with a wire wheel

Remember, once the intake is removed , its not that much extra work to do
the head gaskets and have the heads checked for cracks(common problem) with
coolant disappearing

good luck