2001 Ford Explorer Starting Problem

Old March 19th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default 2001 Ford Explorer Starting Problem

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can figure this out. My wife has a 2001 Ford
Explorer with the V6 4.0. We were having a problem to where it would
not crank without pressing the accelarator and I thought I had it
solved on two seperate occasions. First time someone suggested that it
was the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) so I replaced that and the car
cranked fine for a week and then it started doing it again. Someone
else suggested that it might be the fuel filter so I then replaced that
and it has been doing perfect for a month now until today when it
wouldn't crank till I pressed on the gas pedal. Whenever you step on
the accelerator pedal while trying to crank it, then it will crank fine
but if you don't press on it then it will not crank at all. Anyone have
any idea what could be causing this?

Old March 19th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I'm going to take a SWAG at it.
The accelerator is a mechanical linkage.
Cranking depends on an electrical linkage.

Where could the connection be?
I would look down around the gas pedal in the floor area and around the
firewall under the hood to see if there is a wire or cable that is being
rubbed, chafed or just moved by the action of the accelerator an associated
mechanical parts.

Along this line, a question. When it does not crank, can you hear the
starting solenoid click?

Charlie

ups.com...

Old March 19th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Going out on a limb.... I take it by "crank" you are meaning "start"? FWIW,
in the vernacular "crank" means "turn over".

That two totally unrelated "repairs" have solved your concern for short
periods of time has me confused. My first suggestion would be to look for a
fuel pressure concern (scanning for codes would be more sane....). The best
way would be to use a fuel pressure gauge when the concern is happening
(trying to diagnose a problem that isn't currently present is a waste of
time). Cycling the key in an effort to build fuel pressure before cranking
the engine is inconclusive, at best.

ups.com...

Old March 19th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Ok since I wasn't clear enough here goes again. The engine turns over
just fine but will not "fire" or "crank" unless I press the pedal to
the floorboard and turn the key at the same time. As soon as I do that
it fires or "cranks" right up.

Old March 19th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"To the floorboard".... another variable enters the equation.... This stuff
isn't as simple as many seem to think. If you are flooring the pedal, you
are driving the PCM into "clear flood" mode and reducing the fuel delivered
to the cylinders. In this case, I would consider an injector or EVAP system
concern.

But, at this time, the waters are far too muddy with half information.
Please, gather your information and restate it... try to use accepted
parlance (if you say it doesn't "crank" we will automatically think it
doesn't turn over). State ALL of the information without trying to overuse
the thought...

My truck starts... I am here to try and help you and I don't get paid for
it. Do NOT make me jump through hoops.

oups.com...

Old March 20th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

YOU are the one making this complicated. The information has been
stated and there is nothing more to add and there is no half
information, yes I made a mistake with saying "crank" instead of
"start" but I since corrected myself. Obviously noone is going to be
able to diagnose a mechanical problem over the internet without doing
some troubleshooting first and all I was hoping to gain from this post
was maybe get some ideas of what to check but some people try to make
things even more complicated then they need be.
I'm happy your truck starts....maybe one day it won't and you will come
here to this newsgroup to ask for information and I'll be the one on
the other end of the newsgroup who can make you "jump through hoops".

Old March 20th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Do you still have the old IAC valve? If so, I suggest you clean it
and put it back on. Even though you installed a new valve, new parts
sometimes fail and this sure sounds like the good old IAC problem.

Old March 21st 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

No I don't have the old IAC valve anymore. Also when I actually changed
the IAC valve that only fixed the problem for about a week. The only
thing that has actually fixed it for a month was changing the fuel
filter. Ever since I put the fuel filter on it had been doing
perfectly. This is a real intermittent problem also because the past
two days now it has been starting just fine.

Old March 22nd 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I had a very similar problem with my 1993 Explorer. It turned out to be
something simple, but it really frustrated me because it was so doggone
intermittent. It only happened about once a month or once a week. It
varied a lot. But, it's no fun to be stranded.

oups.com...

Old March 25th 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

FWIW... I did not make these cars complicated... I fix these for a living
and information is a valuable commodity in both reproducing the concern and
resolving the concern... You are looking for a magic bullet... I WAS trying
to help you find that magic bullet but I can't do it psychically. Without
access to some specialized equipment, it becomes very difficult to offer
anything other than an assumption unless a detailed explanation is
offered.... at that time, we can narrow it down to a guess. I'm trying to
help and you climbed on a high horse.....

Have a good day....

"cusack" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> YOU are the one making this complicated. The information has been
> stated and there is nothing more to add and there is no half
> information, yes I made a mistake with saying "crank" instead of
> "start" but I since corrected myself. Obviously noone is going to be
> able to diagnose a mechanical problem over the internet without doing
> some troubleshooting first and all I was hoping to gain from this post
> was maybe get some ideas of what to check but some people try to make
> things even more complicated then they need be.
> I'm happy your truck starts....maybe one day it won't and you will come
> here to this newsgroup to ask for information and I'll be the one on
> the other end of the newsgroup who can make you "jump through hoops".
>
> Jim Warman wrote:
>> "To the floorboard".... another variable enters the equation.... This
>> stuff
>> isn't as simple as many seem to think. If you are flooring the pedal, you
>> are driving the PCM into "clear flood" mode and reducing the fuel
>> delivered
>> to the cylinders. In this case, I would consider an injector or EVAP
>> system
>> concern.
>>
>> But, at this time, the waters are far too muddy with half information.
>> Please, gather your information and restate it... try to use accepted
>> parlance (if you say it doesn't "crank" we will automatically think it
>> doesn't turn over). State ALL of the information without trying to
>> overuse
>> the thought...
>>
>> My truck starts... I am here to try and help you and I don't get paid for
>> it. Do NOT make me jump through hoops.
>>

>> "cusack" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > Ok since I wasn't clear enough here goes again. The engine turns over
>> > just fine but will not "fire" or "crank" unless I press the pedal to
>> > the floorboard and turn the key at the same time. As soon as I do that
>> > it fires or "cranks" right up.

'97 explorer; problem starting engine on an incline Derek Ford Explorer 1 June 8th 05 05:29 AM
Ford Explorer Rear Wiper Problem ....5 Minute Corrective fix holenhead Ford Explorer 7 February 25th 05 03:06 PM
Problem starting 530d (2001) Griff BMW 4 February 7th 05 09:56 AM
91 Ford Explorer Transmission Problem Michael Hill General 3 August 23rd 04 05:54 PM