How high is too high?

Old March 6th 05, 04:50 AM
Steve Forrester

Default How high is too high?

If I am going to lift the front-end of my 93 Mustang GT by placing a floor
jack under one of the lower A arms, how high (i.e., by measuring the
distance from the ground to the bottom of the tire) can I lift the vehicle
without causing any damage? (My intention is then to use the floor jack to
raise the other side of the vehicle to a similar height.)

Thanks in advance...

Steve

Old March 6th 05, 04:34 PM
Backyard Mechanic

Steve Forrester opined in :

> If I am going to lift the front-end of my 93 Mustang GT by placing a
> floor jack under one of the lower A arms, how high (i.e., by measuring
> the distance from the ground to the bottom of the tire) can I lift the
> vehicle without causing any damage? (My intention is then to use the
> floor jack to raise the other side of the vehicle to a similar height.)

I suspect MOST people, like me, lift the front by centering under the K
member.

If you cant do that easily, get down to your discount tool store and buy a
decent 3 ton floor jack.

In a pich, lifting one side then the other doesnt really HURT - but it doesnt
help, either... esp when you might have developing floorpan/seatmount and
floorpan to rockerpanel cracks.

Old March 6th 05, 07:39 PM
Steve Forrester

"Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
> Steve Forrester opined in :
>
>> If I am going to lift the front-end of my 93 Mustang GT by placing a
>> floor jack under one of the lower A arms, how high (i.e., by measuring
>> the distance from the ground to the bottom of the tire) can I lift the
>> vehicle without causing any damage? (My intention is then to use the
>> floor jack to raise the other side of the vehicle to a similar height.)
>>

> I suspect MOST people, like me, lift the front by centering under the K
> member.
>
> If you cant do that easily, get down to your discount tool store and buy a
> decent 3 ton floor jack.
>

> In a pich, lifting one side then the other doesnt really HURT - but it
> doesnt help, either... esp when you might have developing
> floorpan/seatmount and
> floorpan to rockerpanel cracks.
>

> --
> - Yes, I'm a crusty old geezer curmudgeon.. deal with it! -

Backyard Mechanic,

Thanks, again, for your frequent contributions to the NG and specifically
for helping me out of a number of jams.

The reason for going the Lower A Arm route is whenever possible I use
wooden blocks under the tires rather than jack stands in order to maximize
the amount of room (or floor space) in which I can work and maneuver
about and lifting by K Member requires me to lift the car much higher
before the tires are lifted nine inches off the floor.

BTW... Regarding the floor jack, you once advised me to "Get a floor jack,
stupid." Advice which I promptly followed. Needless to say, it has made
my work much easier.

Thanks, again!

Steve

Old March 6th 05, 07:45 PM
Backyard Mechanic

Steve Forrester opined

> Backyard Mechanic,
>
> Thanks, again, for your frequent contributions to the NG and specifically
> for helping me out of a number of jams.

Well... thanks.

I understand the reasoning.

But you also need GOOD jackstands..(solid base) I place THESE under either
the a-arms or body jack points, depending on the need.

Old March 6th 05, 08:59 PM
SVTKate

DAMN BM! Someone actually listened to you!

Old March 6th 05, 09:07 PM
Steve Forrester

"Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
> Steve Forrester opined
>

>> Backyard Mechanic,
>>
>> Thanks, again, for your frequent contributions to the NG and specifically
>> for helping me out of a number of jams.
>>

> Well... thanks.
>
> I understand the reasoning.
>
> But you also need GOOD jackstands..(solid base) I place THESE under
> either
> the a-arms or body jack points, depending on the need.
>

> --
> - Yes, I'm a crusty old geezer curmudgeon.. deal with it! -

Again, you are absolutely right!

....and I do... they are currently under the rear axle so I can rotate the
drive shaft.

Old March 6th 05, 09:09 PM
Steve Forrester

"SVTKate" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> DAMN BM! Someone actually listened to you!
>

> "Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
> | Steve Forrester opined
> |

> | > Backyard Mechanic,
> | >
> | > Thanks, again, for your frequent contributions to the NG and
> specifically
> | > for helping me out of a number of jams.
> | >

> | Well... thanks.
> |
> | I understand the reasoning.
> |
> | But you also need GOOD jackstands..(solid base) I place THESE under
> either
> | the a-arms or body jack points, depending on the need.
> |

> | --
> | - Yes, I'm a crusty old geezer curmudgeon.. deal with it! -

BM,

Come to think of it... were you the guy who suggested I use an unlit propane
torch to find an electrical short in the engine compartment? ... or was it
a vacuum leak? I can remember!

JK

Steve

Old March 6th 05, 10:52 PM
Backyard Mechanic

SVTKate opined

> DAMN BM! Someone actually listened to you!

There's always a wise-ass!

Old March 6th 05, 10:57 PM
Backyard Mechanic

Steve Forrester opined in :

> BM,
>
> Come to think of it... were you the guy who suggested I use an unlit
> propane torch to find an electrical short in the engine compartment?
> ... or was it a vacuum leak? I can remember!

It was probably to help in finding a plug wire arc-over!

Old March 7th 05, 02:05 AM
JS

"Steve Forrester" > wrote in message

> "Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
>> Steve Forrester opined
>>

>>> Backyard Mechanic,
>>>
>>> Thanks, again, for your frequent contributions to the NG and
>>> specifically
>>> for helping me out of a number of jams.
>>>

>> Well... thanks.
>>
>> I understand the reasoning.
>>
>> But you also need GOOD jackstands..(solid base) I place THESE under
>> either
>> the a-arms or body jack points, depending on the need.
>>

>> --
>> - Yes, I'm a crusty old geezer curmudgeon.. deal with it! -

> Again, you are absolutely right!
>
> ...and I do... they are currently under the rear axle so I can rotate the
> drive shaft.

Then you need more for the front. ;-)

JS

Failed Smog Check 1981 Trans AM TheSmogTech Technology 0 January 30th 05 04:16 PM
1988 Olds 88 3800V6 keeps blowing cam sensors, high HC, CO emissions Glen Cooper Technology 9 January 5th 05 04:18 AM
Extremely high idle question stinknugget Saturn 2 December 6th 04 11:26 AM
Integra Emissions Failure Dkakd Honda 13 November 8th 04 09:14 AM
"Oil prices rise to 13-year high, threaten economy" Mike General 0 March 18th 04 09:16 PM