Copy of email to [email protected]

Old March 3rd 05, 10:01 PM
Julian Edge

"Grunff" > wrote in message

> ROFL. You're having a 9 year old base model worth £1500-£2000 tops
> serviced by a main dealer. Priceless.

Until today, I've paid slightly over the odds compared to a 'private' garage
service or even doing it myself, which I am happy to offset against the
supposed advantage of retaining the original maintainer.

It has easily cost me much less than many previous cars of similar age and
I've had a ****ing ball driving it.

Laff it up.

Old March 3rd 05, 10:02 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Julian Edge" > wrote in message
> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>
> > Good luck with this. You are on your own.

> Ah, no longer. Thanks, newsnet!
>
> > Your car was manufactured in 1996, so it must be a 1997 model, or I
> > suppose
> > it could be a late model '96. Given we are in '05 now, this makes the

car
> > 9
> > years old, give or take a few months. I would expect a long list of

rubber
> > and plastic parts are looking at replacement now or soon.

> Indeed, sir. As I said, I love the car, it's just the attitude / staff /

je
> ne sais quoi / whatever / dare I say principle?
>
> Besides, most of the rubber and plastic bits have been replaced several
> times in the last few years, along with the head gasket and the rear
> suspension arms. I've never been 'shocked' until now.
>
> And fair play, the car has *never* let me down, which is more than I can

say
> for my old Alpha.

Sorry to have sounded so harsh. Your beef is not with the factory, it's with
the General Manager of the dealership. That is where your letters should be
going.

I forget why you went into the dealership in the first place, but your car
has at least another 140,000 MILES left in it. I have over 200,000 miles on
my '94, and it is in no danger of leaving me stranded anytime soon. I
suspect you are the victim of a service department that works on commission,
and that is your complaint. It would be my complaint if I were in your
shoes.

Old March 3rd 05, 10:02 PM
SteveH

Tim S Kemp > wrote:

> Andrew Thomas wrote:
>
> > Note to everyone else: "155" and "75" are four-door Alfa Romeos. You
> > didn't miss much.

> 155 was a Tipo in drag. 75 however was a work of art and better to drive
> than its contemporary 3 series.

I wouldn't go as far as a work of art, but it's automotive engineering
at it's best. A car designed by engineers not accountants.

Granted, the narrow body 155 was definitely a Tipo in drag, but the
widebodies were a lot better.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - VW Passat 1.8T 20V SE - COSOC KOTL
Old March 3rd 05, 10:04 PM
Peter Corlett

Julian Edge > wrote:
[...]
> It has easily cost me much less than many previous cars of similar
> age and I've had a ****ing ball driving it.

*shrug*

I used to have a whale of a time driving my old Skoda Estelle. It even
had a spare engine in the boot.

The indicators worked too.

--
Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level.
- Quentin Crisp
Old March 3rd 05, 10:06 PM
Neil

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

<snip>

> First of all, take your complaints of top posting and blow them out your
> ass.

<snip>

But you still obliged, for which I and others that dislike top-posting,
thank you. Agree with your other comments about independent servicing, and
relative low age and mileage.

To the OP:

Even if your car is only worth the cost of the repairs, that's still cheaper
than buying a new car right? Divide the cost of repairs by 12 months, and
see if it works out less than finance payments on a replacement. Think of
it as an investment in another 4 years of happy motoring.

Good luck!

Old March 3rd 05, 10:07 PM
Julian Edge

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> If I were in the OP's position, my letter would be to the General Manager
> of
> the dealership to express my displeasure at the attempted fleecing, and
> tell
> him that he just lost a valuable client. I would not bother to write BMW.
>
> My advice to the OP stands, get the stuff you can't do yourself done.
> Figure
> out what you can do and do it yourself.
>
> Since the car is 9 years old, perhaps an independant mechanic that
> specializes in BMW would be a better choice than dealer servicing from
> here
> on out.

Thanks Jeff!

I figured that out a few hours before opening a beer and posting to newsnet
but that's the first sane reply I've seen!

Old March 3rd 05, 10:09 PM
Julian Edge

"SteveH" > wrote in message

>> for my old Alpha.

> What's one of those, then?

Like a cross between a Pherrrarri and a Phord