WOW...that was too close!!!

Old January 11th 05, 02:26 PM
lab~rat

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:17:14 -0600, RicSeyler >
puked:

>I don't have any problem paying what it costs for insurance in my area.
>Just the companies not honoring their contracts and taking advantage of
>people
>just because they can. That's all I'm trying to say. :-) LOL

A friend of mine had her home damaged in one hurricane and the roof
peeled off in another. The insurance company is trying to hit her
with TWO deductibles, which are about 14,000 each.

Had the first damage been fixed timely, it's likely she wouldn't have
lost her roof.

--
lab~rat >:-)
The less you care, the more it doesn't matter.
Old January 11th 05, 06:07 PM
rgf

And I thought this was a Corvette NG. Stupid me!

Charlie wrote:
> Well Bubba, there's only 1 Flood Insurance Underwriter and it's called the
> NFIP and it's a government program paid for by the participants. All the
> rules are the same for all the areas across the country. If your property
> gets flooded, no matter which company sells it to you, it comes from the
> same place. And when I stop laughing, you can tell me again how far you
> think people are going to get suing the government over a standardized
> policy. Maybe you've been through one too many of them hurricanes.

Charlie, if you checked this out you'd see there really is something
going on. People are NOT happy.

> As for the Messiah, maybe he shouldn't send any help next time. Damned if
> you do, damned if you don't I guess. Bush's visit was a symbolic gesture to
> show people others are thinking of them and care. His strutting was signing
> those disaster aid packages before those storms even finished their trek
> through your state. But that's what you get for having his brother as your
> governor. I'd say you were pretty damned lucky. Many places could only
> dream of such access.

Nice to know everyone is equal.

> And blaming him for 9/11 and the rest of that diatribe? Hell, we can blame
> you or anyone else just as easily.

You really should study the history of these events.

Bin Laden's been after us for a lot
> longer than Bush has been President, so has Hussein.

Gosh, I wonder how they got started?

Kim Jong Il wouldn't
> be a threat if Albright hadn't screwed up that deal during the Clinton
> years. They just let him go. What a bunch of fools.

Her replacement is obviously in the mystical genius class.

Gas Prices?

You fellas would be well advised to know a little historical fact or two
here as well. Gas prices are way behind inflation and the supply is
mostly out of country. The current pricing can't hold forever as the
U.S. government does not, much to it's dismay, control the tap.

How old
> are you? Have you ever bought gas overseas?

The overseas gas prices are much closer to reality than the false
pretense we live under.

And health insurance,
> prescription drugs and jobs?

Health insurance and prescription drug programs seem to work elsewhere,
like Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, U.K., well
most of the EU as well as other places. Some programs work well, some
not so well. Periodically it behooves one to understand what others are
doing before commenting.

What to do drive, a Yugo? This is America,
> the President doesn't create jobs.

Probably he, and most world leaders, should be informed of this. Nahh,
they'd have to little to talk about. More fun talking policy.

The President isn't responsible for your
> health insurance and prescription drugs. If you want a system like that,
> move to Cuba.

Excuse me whilst I surpress the chuckling. Better yet move to Canada,
they have both programs and a massive oil reserve to help pay for it.

I'm sure you can find a nice old car to scoot around in while
> the government gives you a job, gives you health care and doles out your
> aspirin.

This is great stuff. Who's your writer?

Now can we get back to Corvettes?

Richard

Old January 11th 05, 06:07 PM
rgf

Old January 11th 05, 06:30 PM
Charles Spitzer

"rgf" > wrote in message news:mBUEd.51531$Xk.8457@pd7tw3no...
> And I thought this was a Corvette NG. Stupid me!
>
> Charlie wrote:
>> Well Bubba, there's only 1 Flood Insurance Underwriter and it's called
>> the NFIP and it's a government program paid for by the participants. All
>> the rules are the same for all the areas across the country. If your
>> property gets flooded, no matter which company sells it to you, it comes
>> from the same place. And when I stop laughing, you can tell me again how
>> far you think people are going to get suing the government over a
>> standardized policy. Maybe you've been through one too many of them
>> hurricanes.

> Charlie, if you checked this out you'd see there really is something going
> on. People are NOT happy.
>

>> As for the Messiah, maybe he shouldn't send any help next time. Damned
>> if you do, damned if you don't I guess. Bush's visit was a symbolic
>> gesture to show people others are thinking of them and care. His
>> strutting was signing those disaster aid packages before those storms
>> even finished their trek through your state. But that's what you get for
>> having his brother as your governor. I'd say you were pretty damned
>> lucky. Many places could only dream of such access.

> Nice to know everyone is equal.
>

>> And blaming him for 9/11 and the rest of that diatribe? Hell, we can
>> blame you or anyone else just as easily.

> You really should study the history of these events.
>
> Bin Laden's been after us for a lot
>> longer than Bush has been President, so has Hussein.

> Gosh, I wonder how they got started?
>
> Kim Jong Il wouldn't
>> be a threat if Albright hadn't screwed up that deal during the Clinton
>> years. They just let him go. What a bunch of fools.

> Her replacement is obviously in the mystical genius class.
>
> Gas Prices?
>
> You fellas would be well advised to know a little historical fact or two
> here as well. Gas prices are way behind inflation and the supply is mostly
> out of country. The current pricing can't hold forever as the U.S.
> government does not, much to it's dismay, control the tap.
>
> How old
>> are you? Have you ever bought gas overseas?

> The overseas gas prices are much closer to reality than the false pretense
> we live under.

huh? the greatest percentage of the cost of gas outside of the US is taxes,
imposed to enforce low usage. how is that reality?

Old January 11th 05, 06:30 PM
Charles Spitzer

Old January 12th 05, 12:55 AM
rgf

Charles Spitzer wrote:

>> How old
>>
>>>are you? Have you ever bought gas overseas?

>>The overseas gas prices are much closer to reality than the false pretense
>>we live under.

> huh? the greatest percentage of the cost of gas outside of the US is taxes,
> imposed to enforce low usage. how is that reality?

I'd really prefer not to go here but if you insist...

There are 42 U.S. gallons of crude oil in a barrel. Without getting in
to the nuances of light, sweet, sour etc. crude we'll keep it simple and
assume the current price at the well head to be about +/- $45.00. Let's
just say about a buck a gallon for crude.

A barrel of crude has a processing gain of about 2.2 gallons and on
average produces about 19.5 gallons of gasoline,9.2 gallons of
distillate fuel oil (diesel and home heating oil), 4.1 gallons of jet
fuel, 1.9 gallons liquefied refining gasses, 1.9 still gas, 1.8 coke,
1.2 asphalt and road oil, 1.2 gallons petro feedstocks, 1/2 gallon
lubricants, 1/2 gallon kerosene and about .3 gallons of other products.

Producing the gasoline is substantially more costly than producing most
of the other products.

Add in shipping via pipe,ship,pipe or simply pipe if the source is close
to the refinery, refining costs, shipping costs to pump.
Add in a nationwide average of about $.40 per gallon for various taxes.
Add in profit for oil company and add in profit for the retailer.

Consider the following-
U.S gasoline taxes are lower now than they were a decade ago.
Current oil consumption rates lead us to believe the existing U.S.
reserve may last less than 70 years and the rate is increasing somewhere
between 1% and 2% pr annum.
The oil industry typically spends about $.08 per gallon produced on
environmental factors/protection.
In 1995 the average cost of gasoline at the pumps (adjusted for
inflation) was at a record 77 year low.
Oil companies have not been pouring moneys into new refineries of late.
Factually there are no new ones and fewer of the old ones left in the
country.

There are some egg-heads that believe that gasoline prices should be at
as much as $4.50 per gallon, more in line with European counterparts.

Gasoline taxes in most countries are not imposed to reduce demand,
although this is a side benefit, but rather (on the face of it) to
improve other transit systems. Think about it. If most households in any
small (land mass) European country had two or more cars per household
can one even imagine the ramifications. Traffic,roads,parking,fumes,fuel
consumption ... the whole place would be just like downtown L.A.

California alone used more than 14 billion gallons of gas in 2000, a 12%
increase over 1992. I suspect this increase is not slowing as there are
now more cars, and people, in CA than in 2000.

It could be argued that the greatest percentage of gasoline costs
outside the U.S. are taxes but it could also be argued and finitely
proven that although simplistic mathematics show this to be so the
reality is that one cannot seperate the sources from which taxes are
collected and to what they are distributed so freely. Each country has
different methods but the end result is the same. Roads must be built,
buses and trains must run, governments must operate. ie. In some
countries this is achieved partially through higher gasoline taxes while
in other countries money is printed, without foundation, to pay for all
the niceties we enjoy. Our kids get to pay for us.

Fair to say our fuel costs are lower than they should be ???

Sooner or later the piper gets paid. Pay now or pay later.

I'll stop now before I get wound up :-)

Personally I'll still drive my Corvettes the same amount of miles per
annum regardless of gas prices. The odd tank full for each is not a high
price to pay for the pleasure returned.

Cheers

Richard

Old January 12th 05, 12:55 AM
rgf

Old January 14th 05, 10:41 PM
Scubabix

"rgf" > wrote in message news:mBUEd.51531$Xk.8457@pd7tw3no...
> And I thought this was a Corvette NG. Stupid me!

If it was my discussion about my car being flooded that started this, I
apologize.

Rob

Old January 14th 05, 10:41 PM
Scubabix

Old January 15th 05, 12:06 AM
rgf

Scubabix wrote:

> If it was my discussion about my car being flooded that started this, I
> apologize.
> Rob

No apology necessary Rob except maybe from me. I did jump in with both
feet :-(

Richard