water pump impeller gone bad?

Old October 22nd 12, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

Default water pump impeller gone bad?

I put a new water pump on my 92 explorer less then 10,000 miles ago.
It was OK at that time. Now it runs much hotter then it ever used to,
getting up to around 240 on mountain grades. I changed out the
thermostat, hoses, and anti-freeze but it still is running hotter then
it ever did before. Radiator has no leaks, has always had the
antifreeze maintained so I'm pretty sure there is no plugging on the
rad. Engine runs very smoothly with no evidence of any head gasket
problems.

How many of you have ever seen the impeller of a water pump be the
cause of this? Since I can't find anything else I'm thinking of
changing the wp again.
Old October 22nd 12, 07:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
None

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
>I put a new water pump on my 92 explorer less then 10,000 miles ago.
> It was OK at that time. Now it runs much hotter then it ever used to,
> getting up to around 240 on mountain grades. I changed out the
> thermostat, hoses, and anti-freeze but it still is running hotter then
> it ever did before. Radiator has no leaks, has always had the
> antifreeze maintained so I'm pretty sure there is no plugging on the
> rad. Engine runs very smoothly with no evidence of any head gasket
> problems.
>
> How many of you have ever seen the impeller of a water pump be the
> cause of this? Since I can't find anything else I'm thinking of
> changing the wp again.

I'd assume that given that neither the old impeller nor cooling
system in general was fouled, the "new" one wouldn't be too
An overheating condition isn't usually a fault related to a WP.
I have only once in more than 50 years witnessed a metal
impeller coming loose from a shaft and would accordingly
consider that quite rare. However I was recently informed
that a "plastic" impeller on a newish VW bug pump came
loose or otherwise failed (resulting in a long, lengthy and
costly repair), so there's always that possibility too (I have
neither needed to nor made my living wrenching in decades).

Old October 22nd 12, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>I put a new water pump on my 92 explorer less then 10,000 miles ago.
>It was OK at that time. Now it runs much hotter then it ever used to,
>getting up to around 240 on mountain grades. I changed out the
>thermostat, hoses, and anti-freeze but it still is running hotter then
>it ever did before. Radiator has no leaks, has always had the
>antifreeze maintained so I'm pretty sure there is no plugging on the
>rad. Engine runs very smoothly with no evidence of any head gasket
>problems.

Was this a new OEM pump or a cheap chain-store rebuild?

>How many of you have ever seen the impeller of a water pump be the
>cause of this? Since I can't find anything else I'm thinking of
>changing the wp again.

It does sound like the pump, but have you checked the sensor and verified
that it really IS running hot?
--scott
Old October 22nd 12, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
None

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>>I put a new water pump on my 92 explorer less then 10,000 miles ago.
>>It was OK at that time. Now it runs much hotter then it ever used to,
>>getting up to around 240 on mountain grades. I changed out the
>>thermostat, hoses, and anti-freeze but it still is running hotter then
>>it ever did before. Radiator has no leaks, has always had the
>>antifreeze maintained so I'm pretty sure there is no plugging on the
>>rad. Engine runs very smoothly with no evidence of any head gasket
>>problems.

> Was this a new OEM pump or a cheap chain-store rebuild?
>
>>How many of you have ever seen the impeller of a water pump be the
>>cause of this? Since I can't find anything else I'm thinking of
>>changing the wp again.

> It does sound like the pump,

From THAT description?! What an absolute steaming pile
of the most putrid conceivable brand of horse**** (you'll
note the telling thorough lack of even so much as an attempt
at an explanation as to any type of failure mode). But then
again that respondent is well known for his total BS offerings.

Old October 23rd 12, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 10:55:14 -0700, Ashton Crusher >
wrote:

>I put a new water pump on my 92 explorer less then 10,000 miles ago.
>It was OK at that time. Now it runs much hotter then it ever used to,
>getting up to around 240 on mountain grades. I changed out the
>thermostat, hoses, and anti-freeze but it still is running hotter then
>it ever did before. Radiator has no leaks, has always had the
>antifreeze maintained so I'm pretty sure there is no plugging on the
>rad. Engine runs very smoothly with no evidence of any head gasket
>problems.
>
>How many of you have ever seen the impeller of a water pump be the
>cause of this? Since I can't find anything else I'm thinking of
>changing the wp again.

Cooling fan(s) working properly? Anything blocking the air flow
throught the radiator?
Old October 23rd 12, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> I put a new water pump on my 92 explorer less then 10,000 miles ago.
> It was OK at that time. Now it runs much hotter then it ever used to,
> getting up to around 240 on mountain grades. I changed out the
> thermostat, hoses, and anti-freeze but it still is running hotter then
> it ever did before. Radiator has no leaks, has always had the
> antifreeze maintained so I'm pretty sure there is no plugging on the
> rad. Engine runs very smoothly with no evidence of any head gasket
> problems.
>
> How many of you have ever seen the impeller of a water pump be the
> cause of this? Since I can't find anything else I'm thinking of
> changing the wp again.

I have never seen a bad impeller nor have heard directly
from anyone that has. I have heard rumors that some
impellers are designed to run the other direction but
have never seen one or know of anyone that has.
One pump fits many engines but use different gaskets.
My guess is its something else.
I would start with a new radiator.
1992? Its about time for a new one.
Old October 23rd 12, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
None

"Paul in Houston TX" > wrote in message
> Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> I put a new water pump on my 92 explorer less then 10,000 miles ago.
>> It was OK at that time. Now it runs much hotter then it ever used to,
>> getting up to around 240 on mountain grades. I changed out the
>> thermostat, hoses, and anti-freeze but it still is running hotter then
>> it ever did before. Radiator has no leaks, has always had the
>> antifreeze maintained so I'm pretty sure there is no plugging on the
>> rad. Engine runs very smoothly with no evidence of any head gasket
>> problems.
>>
>> How many of you have ever seen the impeller of a water pump be the
>> cause of this? Since I can't find anything else I'm thinking of
>> changing the wp again.

> I have never seen a bad impeller nor have heard directly
> from anyone that has. I have heard rumors that some
> impellers are designed to run the other direction but
> have never seen one or know of anyone that has.

Yes there exist many usually non-interchangeable (with
standard) reverse rotation water pumps for vehicles,
but no Fords that I've ever run across or am aware of.

Old October 23rd 12, 06:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> I put a new water pump on my 92 explorer less then 10,000 miles ago.
> It was OK at that time. Now it runs much hotter then it ever used to,
> getting up to around 240 on mountain grades. I changed out the
> thermostat, hoses, and anti-freeze but it still is running hotter then
> it ever did before. Radiator has no leaks, has always had the
> antifreeze maintained so I'm pretty sure there is no plugging on the
> rad. Engine runs very smoothly with no evidence of any head gasket
> problems.
>
> How many of you have ever seen the impeller of a water pump be the
> cause of this? Since I can't find anything else I'm thinking of
> changing the wp again.

It's far more common that it used to be. Especially with re-man pumps.

Did it start running hotter suddenly or has it been creeping up?
Check the fan clutch yet?
Radiator clean through the fins, A/C condenser clean?
Have you checked to see if that is REALLY the operating temp. using a
mechanical gauge? Could be a sender going bad.

--
Steve W.
Old October 23rd 12, 07:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> I put a new water pump on my 92 explorer less then 10,000 miles ago.
>> It was OK at that time. Now it runs much hotter then it ever used to,
>> getting up to around 240 on mountain grades. I changed out the
>> thermostat, hoses, and anti-freeze but it still is running hotter then
>> it ever did before. Radiator has no leaks, has always had the
>> antifreeze maintained so I'm pretty sure there is no plugging on the
>> rad. Engine runs very smoothly with no evidence of any head gasket
>> problems.
>>
>> How many of you have ever seen the impeller of a water pump be the
>> cause of this? Since I can't find anything else I'm thinking of
>> changing the wp again.

> I have never seen a bad impeller nor have heard directly
> from anyone that has. I have heard rumors that some
> impellers are designed to run the other direction but
> have never seen one or know of anyone that has.
> One pump fits many engines but use different gaskets.
> My guess is its something else.
> I would start with a new radiator.
> 1992? Its about time for a new one.

If you haven't seen a reverse rotation pump you haven't worked on
anything with a serpentine belt.
There is an easy way to tell if the pump is normal or reverse rotation.
Simply look at the drive belt.
If it drives off the ribbed side of the belt it is standard rotation. If
it drives on the back/flat side of the belt it is reverse rotation.

There are a LOT of common engines that use R/R pumps. I don't know of a
single maker that didn't have engines that used both directions based on
the year and option package.

--
Steve W.
Old October 23rd 12, 07:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

None wrote:
> "Paul in Houston TX" > wrote in message
>> Ashton Crusher wrote:
>>> I put a new water pump on my 92 explorer less then 10,000 miles ago.
>>> It was OK at that time. Now it runs much hotter then it ever used to,
>>> getting up to around 240 on mountain grades. I changed out the
>>> thermostat, hoses, and anti-freeze but it still is running hotter then
>>> it ever did before. Radiator has no leaks, has always had the
>>> antifreeze maintained so I'm pretty sure there is no plugging on the
>>> rad. Engine runs very smoothly with no evidence of any head gasket
>>> problems.
>>>
>>> How many of you have ever seen the impeller of a water pump be the
>>> cause of this? Since I can't find anything else I'm thinking of
>>> changing the wp again.

>> I have never seen a bad impeller nor have heard directly
>> from anyone that has. I have heard rumors that some
>> impellers are designed to run the other direction but
>> have never seen one or know of anyone that has.

> Yes there exist many usually non-interchangeable (with
> standard) reverse rotation water pumps for vehicles,
> but no Fords that I've ever run across or am aware of.

300 -6, 289, 302, 429, 460 and a few others.
Basically look for the engines used with both accessory drive systems.

>> One pump fits many engines but use different gaskets.
>> My guess is its something else.
>> I would start with a new radiator.
>> 1992? Its about time for a new one.

--
Steve W.

88 BMW 735i What are signs the water pump is bad or about to go?Heres Why I Ask Chris Gloss BMW 6 February 1st 09 07:35 PM
FA NOS water pump repair kit, 1933-1953, free water pump william_b_noble Dodge 0 October 16th 05 08:57 PM
Power steering pump removed. How do you hook up a water pump V belt? Dan Ford Mustang 2 August 24th 05 06:45 PM
Water Pump Mikus Saturn 2 July 28th 05 10:22 PM
Water Pump? Rattus the RAT Honda 2 December 14th 04 09:02 AM