fuel line came apart on 99 voyager

Old July 27th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Default fuel line came apart on 99 voyager

I replaced my fuel filter several months ago on a 99 Plymouth Voyager
with 4 cylinder engine. This van has 200,000 miles on it. This was a
pre-emptive replacement done as preventive maintenance; the van was not
suffering from a bad filter at the time.

When I changed the filter I was surprised to find quick-connect fittings
on the tank and the line going toward the engine, but the fittings
worked OK and all has been well for several months. 2 days ago my wife
was driving the van and it died in a parking lot. When I looked at it,
I found that the quick connect fitting had come apart where the filter
attaches to the pump nipple on the tank. I assume that it blew off
because of the high pressure. I snapped it back on and everything
worked well again, although I want to make sure it doesn't happen
again. My wife drove the van again last night, and the other line blew
off, the one going toward the engine. Once again, I snapped it back on
and we drove the van home.

What I need to know now is if this is a common problem with this
vehicle, or if there is something else wrong. It can't be a dirty
filter causing excessive pressure, because for one thing I put in a new
filter, and also both lines blew off on both sides of the filter, which
wouldn't happen if the fuel could'nt pass through the filter. Could it
be that there is something else obstructed in the path to the injectors,
downstream of the filter? Has anybody else had this problem? Or
perhaps my problem comes from the fact that I used a cheap aftermarket
filter from Autozone. Does my filter simply have crummy connectors on
it? All of the manufacturers use plastic connectors. What do you guys
think?
Old July 27th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MT-2500[_8_]

Robbie and Laura Reynolds Wrote:
> I replaced my fuel filter several months ago on a 99 Plymouth Voyager
> with 4 cylinder engine. This van has 200,000 miles on it. This was a
> pre-emptive replacement done as preventive maintenance; the van was not
> suffering from a bad filter at the time.
>
> When I changed the filter I was surprised to find quick-connect
> fittings
> on the tank and the line going toward the engine, but the fittings
> worked OK and all has been well for several months. 2 days ago my wife
> was driving the van and it died in a parking lot. When I looked at it,
> I found that the quick connect fitting had come apart where the filter
> attaches to the pump nipple on the tank. I assume that it blew off
> because of the high pressure. I snapped it back on and everything
> worked well again, although I want to make sure it doesn't happen
> again. My wife drove the van again last night, and the other line blew
> off, the one going toward the engine. Once again, I snapped it back on
> and we drove the van home.
>
> What I need to know now is if this is a common problem with this
> vehicle, or if there is something else wrong. It can't be a dirty
> filter causing excessive pressure, because for one thing I put in a new
> filter, and also both lines blew off on both sides of the filter, which
> wouldn't happen if the fuel could'nt pass through the filter. Could it
> be that there is something else obstructed in the path to the
> injectors,
> downstream of the filter? Has anybody else had this problem? Or
> perhaps my problem comes from the fact that I used a cheap aftermarket
> filter from Autozone. Does my filter simply have crummy connectors on
> it? All of the manufacturers use plastic connectors. What do you guys
> think?

If it is just blowing the couplers off.
Whe you plug them on pull back on them and see if they lock on.
Get a dealer oem filter or a good major brand OEM type like a WIX fuel
filter.
And remember Dealer OEM only hurts one time.
MT

--
MT-2500
MT-2500's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=382930

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old July 27th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

MT-2500 wrote:
> Robbie and Laura Reynolds Wrote:
> > I replaced my fuel filter several months ago on a 99 Plymouth Voyager
> > with 4 cylinder engine. This van has 200,000 miles on it. This was a
> > pre-emptive replacement done as preventive maintenance; the van was not
> > suffering from a bad filter at the time.
> >
> > When I changed the filter I was surprised to find quick-connect
> > fittings
> > on the tank and the line going toward the engine, but the fittings
> > worked OK and all has been well for several months. 2 days ago my wife
> > was driving the van and it died in a parking lot. When I looked at it,
> > I found that the quick connect fitting had come apart where the filter
> > attaches to the pump nipple on the tank. I assume that it blew off
> > because of the high pressure. I snapped it back on and everything
> > worked well again, although I want to make sure it doesn't happen
> > again. My wife drove the van again last night, and the other line blew
> > off, the one going toward the engine. Once again, I snapped it back on
> > and we drove the van home.
> >
> > What I need to know now is if this is a common problem with this
> > vehicle, or if there is something else wrong. It can't be a dirty
> > filter causing excessive pressure, because for one thing I put in a new
> > filter, and also both lines blew off on both sides of the filter, which
> > wouldn't happen if the fuel could'nt pass through the filter. Could it
> > be that there is something else obstructed in the path to the
> > injectors,
> > downstream of the filter? Has anybody else had this problem? Or
> > perhaps my problem comes from the fact that I used a cheap aftermarket
> > filter from Autozone. Does my filter simply have crummy connectors on
> > it? All of the manufacturers use plastic connectors. What do you guys
> > think?

> If it is just blowing the couplers off.
> Whe you plug them on pull back on them and see if they lock on.
> Get a dealer oem filter or a good major brand OEM type like a WIX fuel
> filter.
> And remember Dealer OEM only hurts one time.
> MT
>

> --
> MT-2500
> MT-2500's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=382930
> View this thread: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=597602
>
> http://www.automotiveforums.com

I too, recommend an OEM or WIX filter. The WIX filters are also sold by
NAPA. I tried to use another less expensive one, but the tubes were so
stiff, that I could not bend them enough to make the connections. The
NAPA/WIX filter has been in for over 3 years without a problem.

-KM

Old July 27th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
billccm

My LeBaron had a similar problem; the quick fittings started seeping.
Both the fittings at the fuel filter, and the ones that connect to the
fuel rails under the hood started seeping gas. I researched
replacements for the quick fittings, and basically was told it is
better to convert back to simple fuel injection approved clamps and
hoses. I had my mechanic do this at a fairly low cost, and have not had
an issue since.
I think the plastic retainers inside the quick fittings degrade over
time, so it might be the best fix for you to convert.
Good Luck,
Bill

Old July 27th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

I thought about that. When I put the filter in I thought that the
connectors seemed kind of wimpy. But the old one worked, so I couldn't
argue with it. When it came apart I considered that my best course of
action would probably be to replace each fitting with a piece of tubing
and two clamps.

Old July 28th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
tomkanpa

Robbie and Laura Reynolds wrote:
> I thought about that. When I put the filter in I thought that the
> connectors seemed kind of wimpy. But the old one worked, so I couldn't
> argue with it. When it came apart I considered that my best course of
> action would probably be to replace each fitting with a piece of tubing
> and two clamps.

____Reply Separator_____

Not that problem seems to have been solved, I have a question for you
two. Do you get much kidding about being Rob and Laura?

Old July 29th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
tomkanpa

Robbie and Laura Reynolds wrote:

> My mother is the only one who ever mentioned it. Most people my age
> (I'm 38) don't remember the Dick Van Dyke show very well anyway. If we
> were named Fred and Wilma maybe it would ring a bell with more people.

____Reply Separator_____

On the show, Rob and Laura slept in separate beds. Who was the first
"TV" couple to sleep in the same bed on prime time??

Old July 30th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy

there is palstic fuel line reapir kits availble and they work good.
i have found a heat gun works were hot water won't

Old July 30th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

I solved the problem. I thought I would cut the ends off of the tubes
and replace them with about 3 inches of rubber fuel line, but when I got
under there and remembered that the lines were thin plastic I ended up
cutting them off right at the filter and replacing the entire line. It
took about half an hour and everything is working well.

I still think that's a pretty stupid design. Do they still use plastic
lines with plastic clips on the newer cars, or did they come to their
senses and go back to metal fittings, rubber hoses and clamps?

Old July 30th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
billccm

My 2001 Impala uses a quick fitting that is similar at the fuel filter.
Glad to hear you fixed it right. Good Luck, Bill
Robbie and Laura Reynolds wrote:
> I solved the problem. I thought I would cut the ends off of the tubes
> and replace them with about 3 inches of rubber fuel line, but when I got
> under there and remembered that the lines were thin plastic I ended up
> cutting them off right at the filter and replacing the entire line. It
> took about half an hour and everything is working well.
>
> I still think that's a pretty stupid design. Do they still use plastic
> lines with plastic clips on the newer cars, or did they come to their
> senses and go back to metal fittings, rubber hoses and clamps?
>

> philthy wrote:
> >
> > there is palstic fuel line reapir kits availble and they work good.
> > i have found a heat gun works were hot water won't

Fuel injector expected lifespan? TeGGeR® Technology 65 August 1st 07 03:50 PM
Stromberg WW leak SweptlineTrucker Technology 7 April 30th 06 12:53 PM
How the #$!% do I disconnect this '95 fuel line? Ford Warrior Technology 1 October 20th 05 12:52 PM
258 head swap? Steve G Jeep 8 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
Incoming/outgoing fuel line on 99 Saturn SL1? Joey Saturn 2 July 15th 04 09:21 PM